Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Call us old and unaware (recently retired) if you want but I was surprised to see all the complaints here about the OEM headlights after buying our 2017 HIHy Limited Platinum. I asked my wife, who shares the HiHy driving with me around town and on trips we’ve taken if she ever felt the lights are inadequate and the response was the same as mine. They seem fine to us! What are we missing?
Hey Texas, my wife has a Highlander with the lights you have. I just purchased a new Ford Edge with standard LEDs. Verdict from both of us: night and day difference goes to LED. Remember the old adage....”ignorance is bliss”. By not using LEDs , Toyota probably saved $10 a car, times about 244,511 HL sold in 2018 amounts to $2,445,110 in their pockets. Toyota because of its reputation for reliability can afford to delay technology a few years.
BTW, if you are recently retired, I’m about 10 years ahead of you. My grand children keep me up to date, or try to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 2019 Highlander and I think they are adequate. Off course I would love LEDs!

·
Registered
604 Posts
A modification that many people have done and have seemed to been pleased with has been to use H9 bulbs instead H11 bulbs in their low beam headlights. H9 bulbs are identical in shape to H11 bulbs but emit substantially more light. Some people have reported having to slightly adjust their headlight beams downward so that oncoming drivers would not be adversely affected but many have not.

Using H9 bulbs in headlights designed for H11 bulbs require trimming two areas of the H9 bulb. There are numerous websites and videos that describe how to do it. Here is a link to one video:

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
It's sad that your $50k Highlander comes with crap headlights.. To fix it, buy a plug and play HID kit from Xenon Depot or The Retrofit Source and enjoy. That's what I did with my Platinum.. And with my 2012 Camry..I can drive on dark country roads without High beams if I wanted to with the HID kits..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Hello, I'm new to the site and have a 2 questions about the headlights on my 2019 Highlander Limited Platinum.
1) The low beam headlights seem very dim. At times it's hard to tell if they are on even though the icon is lit on the dashboard (I've checked and they are on). I have to use the fog lights with them in order to see. I had the dealer check them & said they are working as designed.
I went to an auto parts store, after Toyota told me there are no brighter bulbs available, & they suggested the next level up H11 bulb.
I installed the new bulbs but don't see any difference.
Is anyone else having this issue &/or are there any suggestions on what type of bulb would you suggest?
2) The gray cover that covers the low beam headlight access fell off. It dropped somewhere into the car frame. It did not fall to the ground. Does anyone know how important this cover is and has Toyota given it some type of name that I can use to replace it.

Thanks for your help!
Wanted to give an update. First thank you for all the information. I bought LED bulbs from a chain auto supply store that were supposed to fit the car but I couldn't get them to lock in correctly. I went back to the store & they wouldn't install them saying it was a liability issue. They advised me to call around to mechanic shops, I called several & was told the same thing about liability, even if I bought the bulbs from them. The last place I called recommended an after market shop. I called, & yesterday bought Putco Nitro-Lux H11 bulbs from them & they installed them (They also got back the dust cover I had dropped). What a difference! I didn't need the high beams or fog lights! The kicker to this is that the shop is owned by the Toyota Dealer I bought the car from & where I had it serviced. You would think Toyota would have told me about the shop instead of just saying they don't sell them. Thanks again for all the information!

·
Registered
174 Posts
21 - 26 of 26 Posts