Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a 2019 Highlander for a test ride and noticed that once I reached 90 Km/h (55 mph) there was a lot of wind noise. I'm not sure if it was coming from the mirror or the window. Note, the windows were fully up. I'm wondering if this is just an issue with the test car that was driven or if it's common with the highlander.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I haven't noticed this, in fact quite the opposite. Could it have been road noise from the road you were on perhaps? I would try another Highlander and perhaps a different road, then you will have your answer.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mine has the wind noise, the vehicle is fairly quiet at highway speeds in regards to tire and engine noise so the wind noise is more apparent, the highlander is a quite large , reasonably high,brick like vehicle, aero dynamic efficiency would be similar to a truck.
Maybe buy a sedan if it bothers you?

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Is the OP certain the noise was wind-based and not road noise? I've had more than one car, including my Avalon, that came from the factory with a poorly fitted door seal. I replaced them myself each time to great effect. As for road noise (if that turned out to be the primary issue) you can always add sound proofing behind the side panels and wheel wells. I did this on my 2nd Gen Highlander when I needed to remove the side paneling as part of a 3rd row seat swap. The difference was huge, particularly in the rain at highway speeds. Something to consider if so motivated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Definitely no such noise on my 2016. I would check door and window seals. Tire noise is the loudest thing I hear at highway speeds, and for that I blame the so-so Cooper Discoverer SRX tires that the previous owner installed.

·
Premium Member
34,643 Posts
Definitely no such noise on my 2016. I would check door and window seals. Tire noise is the loudest thing I hear at highway speeds, and for that I blame the so-so Cooper Discoverer SRX tires that the previous owner installed.
Tires can make a huge difference. Again, though, if motivated, IMO the greatest sound reduction in almost any SUV is if you apply sound-proofing around the rear wheel wells. Side paneling helps, but not nearly as much.

·
mostater
182 Posts
Probably wind noise. My 2018 Highlander has it as well. There really is little other noise in the cabin and that probably adds to my awareness of it. However, even though I may notice it once in a while, I quickly forget about it and/or just become immune to it, particularly on a longer trips. I don't believe the Highlander has acoustic side windows and that could be another contributing factor. My former daily driver (Avalon) had them and no wind noise at all that I recall.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Some people have been successful in finding the source of wind/air noises by using masking tape on various areas on the outside of the vehicle that are suspect, and using a process of trial and error to the find out the source of the noise. Once the source of the noise is found, it sometimes can be fixed using silicone caulking (which comes in black, clear, etc).

·
woz up
7 Posts
I have absolutely noticed this noise on my 18 xle. like most others I have owned many cars, suv’s, even $3000 beat up cars in college days. Never had this kind of problem. it’s not something u have to look (or hear) for either. both on driver and passenger side. seems to be coming right from where the glass curves down. in the middle.

I mentioned it to the dealership when I took it on for oil change. they said they’ve checked and they can’t find anything wrong. although I don’t think I take their word for it. the 3 staff members who sign u in are a bunch of dorks and I doubt they made an effort to even mention it.

I also notice a slight shake or vibration on the hood of the car at highway speeds. thinking the car isn’t assembled too well

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Q...aren't 2014-19 HL bodies same ? I hear less wind noise with windows up. I'm use to it, called "conditioning";)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I also notice a slight shake or vibration on the hood of the car at highway speeds. thinking the car isn’t assembled too well
I don't own a HL, so I cannot say for sure, but a lot of newer cars have flimsy hoods to reduce weight, and they tend to flutter at high speeds.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I don't own a HL, so I cannot say for sure, but a lot of newer cars have flimsy hoods to reduce weight, and they tend to flutter at high speeds.
The highlander most certainly doesn't have a flimsy hood lol, that hood is heavy! My guess is hood catch adjustment, close the hood fully and try to jiggle it if it still feels a bit loose it possibly needs adjustment.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Took my first long trip with my 2 week old 2019 Highlander XLE this weekend. Love the car but after the trip it reminded me of getting out of a piston powered airplane after 6 hours...your head and ears are just ringing from the wind noise. Seriously though its not that bad but the car is soo quiet otherwise all you here is the wind noise and it sounds like you are constantly driving in a crosswind above 60 mph. I didn't notice it on my test drive but spent a limited amount of time at highway speeds and first noticed it when I drove my XLE home for the first time on a somewhat blustery night. My other car (05' Corolla) and GF's ride (16' VW Jetta) don't suffer this. I also don't recall such noise from a 2017 GMC Sierra 2500 I drove about 1500 highway miles in last fall.

I'm pretty sure its not the drivers side mirror, as I folded that while on the highway briefly with no change. It must be a seal or a-frame design, but as many owner don't notice it I'm thinking seal.

My question is, has anyone found a definitive solution to this problem? I've read all the threads with no real conclusion. I'm seriously tempted to go back to the dealer, jump in another new one and see if its the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I can go and tape my brand new ride to figure out where the potential source of noise is. This doesn't eliminate all variables. Unfortunately I haven't read of a simple solution, other than TrailDust's solution of replacing the factory door seal himself.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Yes, I can go and tape my brand new ride to figure out where the potential source of noise is. This doesn't eliminate all variables. Unfortunately I haven't read of a simple solution, other than TrailDust's solution of replacing the factory door seal himself.
You are assuming that the noise is from the door seal. I don't think that is a given, especially on a new vehicle. It can be from any of the seams on or around door, such as the side-view mirror (where it attaches to the door) or other similar areas.

The first step is find out exactly where the wind noise is coming from, because often times it can be fixed with just a dab of silicone sealant (and not talking about on the door seal).

·
Registered
596 Posts
I assume most of you are already aware of this thread:

...which is more like a whistling noise at 45+ mph

But at 65+ mph, it's more like an intermittent whooshing noise as if the crosswinds are strong outside... except that you can tell there's little wind from the unwaving trees.

I have added more tapes to trim gaps, door seals, but it doesn't really seem to help. There are so many gaps around the front of the HL that it's just impossible to tape everything off!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts