Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
mark888,

Upon inspection of the car tonight, I tend to agree with you and dchobo's comments regarding potential leaks. I briefly glanced at some other vehicles on my walk tonight, including a new Camry and could tell that Toyota has some design flaws with the highlander. Namely, the 2-piece chrome around the door frame is more like 1-piece on pretty much every other car in the parking lot. The seals are not too good where the chrome pieces join above and below the mirror.

I will take a closer look at the black boxes in the corner of the window mentioned in the 'solved' thread but both seem snug on mine. I put a few pieces of tape in other areas of suspicion and will report back results in hopes this solves the problem.

I don't have the panoramic sunroof and poking my head into the middle of the car is an oasis compared with the normal drivers seat, especially at 65+ mph.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took a look at the boxes mentioned in the 'solved' thread, these here:

My drivers side is looser than my passengers side. Not really sure how to snug this up; I removed it, easily pops off, there is no adjustment however, so I'm not sure what the original poster did to actually fix the problem. Its likely Toyota is aware of the issue and simply replaced his.

For now I think I am going to place felt all around that box and see if that solves it.

I also think I'm getting noise in from the left passenger door, there is a piece of loose trim there that pushes against the window sill. Taping that up seemed to help this morning but it could just be placebo effect. Will keep you posted as I hope to resolve this (despite the fact that going around taping a $40k vehicle is more than a little irritating).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just for some additional reference, there are some key noise related changes to the 2020 Highlander in the image here: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bf/2020_Toyota_Highlander_Platinum_AWD_front_NYIAS_2019.jpg

This may not be final, but if you notice the entire mirror housing has been lowered on the door and moved outboard, opening the gap which reduces the flow acceleration between the mirror and the door, reducing noise. More critically perhaps is the chrome trim around the window is now one piece top and bottom, meeting in the corner of the door (vs. the 2014-19' highlanders with 3 piece chrome). Also, as the mirror attaches lower on the door than the current gen, there probably is no cover on the inside for the mirror bolts, rather it is behind the more well attached door panel interior trim. All of this should result in a quieter, more upscale ride. Unfortunately I couldn't wait for the 2020 model year as I needed a larger car this month for some long road trips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dchobo, do you know what Toyota do to seal that little black box? I too found trim tape to be of little help.

The one other area of concern is the flap that sticks forward of the mirror on the door, that has to seal against the inside AND outside of the car with one seal...I suspect that may be leaking on the passengers side. Not a great design and if its bent ever so slightly contact won't be made on either the inside or the outside.

I did pull my weathertech window deflectors off yesterday and that seems to have helped reduce the noise, its now not prevalent until closer to 65mph. Has me thinking it may just be the standard Highlander wind noise.

·
Premium Member
34,694 Posts
I took a look at the boxes mentioned in the 'solved' thread, these here:

My drivers side is looser than my passengers side. Not really sure how to snug this up; I removed it, easily pops off, there is no adjustment however, so I'm not sure what the original poster did to actually fix the problem. Its likely Toyota is aware of the issue and simply replaced his.

For now I think I am going to place felt all around that box and see if that solves it.

I also think I'm getting noise in from the left passenger door, there is a piece of loose trim there that pushes against the window sill. Taping that up seemed to help this morning but it could just be placebo effect. Will keep you posted as I hope to resolve this (despite the fact that going around taping a $40k vehicle is more than a little irritating).
On my Avalon, over time I developed a lot of wind noise from the same box/location on the passenger side door. As luck would have it that mirror was broken and the entire mounting terribly damaged when my Dad borrowed my Avalon and misjudged his clearance on a narrow street, necessitating that I replace the side mirror unit myself. Just to be certain, when I installed the new unit I added my own soundproofing and silicone sealant, and, voila, problem completely solved. Just food for thought as far as suggesting you remove the side mirror unit and do the same, add soundproofing and silicone sealant, then reinstall the unit. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts