Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my wife started the Highlander and as we talked thru the drivers window the battery reached full charge and the gas engine shut off. Then she put it in reverse with her foot on the brake and an eerie musical noise started from under the front end. I thought maybe its the electric motors straining against the brake or a warning noise because I was standing next to the vehicle? Has anyone else heard this? Maybe someone should start a list of noises a new hybrid makes that you should or shouldn't be worried about.

Thanks for any input. Kr2

·
7,343 Posts
Don't worry about this. It's your brake actuator priming. It should do it every start up and after each shut down. Turn car off and stay in garage. You'll here it.
Please get used to this:

HYBRIDS MAKE WEIRD NOISES. That's how they are.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander Hybrid XLE
34 Posts
This morning my wife started the Highlander and as we talked thru the drivers window the battery reached full charge and the gas engine shut off. Then she put it in reverse with her foot on the brake and an eerie musical noise started from under the front end. I thought maybe its the electric motors straining against the brake or a warning noise because I was standing next to the vehicle? Has anyone else heard this? Maybe someone should start a list of noises a new hybrid makes that you should or shouldn't be worried about.

Thanks for any input. Kr2
All recent Toyota hybrids have a noisemaker built into them that alerts blind people that one is moving. The tone changes based on the vehicle speed up to about 15 MPH when it stops due to other noises increasing in volume enough to make the noisemaker unnecessary. It's a safety feature.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts