Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some roof proofing today and figured it would be a good idea to get the spare tire out of the way.

Lowered the tire, but it only came down a few inches although the cable itself fully retracted. I removed the trunk liner and got the cable system its all closed up with rivets.

Before I bring this to the dealer I am missing anything ?

I pulled I spinned the tire, tried to get a inbetween the body and tire took a picture can't see any problem.

Video of the stuck spare tire

cable system in closed housing :

Cable has no issue extending when we pull and crank it out but tire stays up.

Picture of the part that's in-between the spare tire and underbody.

·
Gearhead
2,126 Posts
There is a cam-like plug on the spare tire hoise end (the spring looking thing on the end). Possible that got hung up on the top, though I don't see how. Did you try tightening the tire back up and try lowering it again? Trying to force it will only wedge that cam in tighter, cause it to twist.

Reactions: Rickvmax

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I brought in the car to my toyota dealership they have an express bay for simple stuff, and they were not able to unjam it. They told it looks like some parts where out of alignment. I have to bring the car back in this week.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
It looked to me, someone who last raised the spare tire may have really cranked it tight (further guessing, at the time, the spare was also low on tire pressure, say less than 45-psi), so allowed the mechanism to be raised too far up and gotten stuck ...

Additional information from my 2016 Owners Manual as FYI (note, the 2nd attached screen shot step #7 is all it takes to secure the spare normally.

Product Font Material property Parallel Rectangle
Organism Font Pattern Creative arts Plant

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I totally agree, I am the second owner of the car, someone was in here before and they fumbled. It the "valve" stem part that the issue. the jack stand had been used, it was scratched on the bottom, the plastic clip thing on top of the screw bolt was off. I never thought of lowering the car spare tire when we looked over the car before purchasing it. It was purchased from chain of dealers here in Quebec with a bad reputation, ( was not sold at a Toyota dealership) Crossing my finger that Toyota might pass this under warranty but I am doubtful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts