Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased the low light LED kit from XenonDepot and the LED bulbs won’t screw back in.

Can anyone recommend LED headlights that they know fit a 2019 Highlander?

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
If you have an issue with the lights, I would be asking XD. they are very helpful, and likely you got a wrong or bad unit.
Just a thought based on your wording....I don't know any XD product that requires anything to screw back in. Please look over your order, the instructions and contact them first.

If that doesn't help, post back here with what happened.

@XenonDepot

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m in contact with them currently. I understand the positive input, hence why I purchased them. But I haven’t heard of any 2019 install issues. Most installs of this product are on later 3rd Gen models. Not sure how many 2019s had install experience.

I’ll keep this updated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They had me send some pictures of the LED bulbs and my current factory bulb. Asked me to swap the plastic rings (which) I already had done.

I’m waiting to hear back again from them again. With all the positive talk on this board Of XenonDepot I thought it would be seamless. I even emailed them several times prior to purchase.

But if the product doesn’t fit on a 2019... I guess that is what I am trying to weed out. And like you said if I received the wrong product.

Wondering if anyone had used low beam LEDs form XenonDepot specifically on a 2019.

·
2019 Le Plus
111 Posts
I have a 2019 Highlander and replaced the low beams and fog light bulbs with LEDs from Xeon Depot, the low beams bulbs do fit though you do have to be much more careful lining up the 3 mounting tabs with the LEDs than with the stock bulbs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 Highlander and replaced the low beams and fog light bulbs with LEDs from Xeon Depot, the low beams bulbs do fit though you do have to be much more careful lining up the 3 mounting tabs with the LEDs than with the stock bulbs.
Hi Tomcoul,

Did you have to change your dust covers or will the original one in your 2019 still fit? Which XD LEDs did you purchase? I just purchased a 2019 and looking to change out the low beans as well.

Thanks,

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
Xenon Depot has presence here, and they should be chiming in. I have heard the company is "sold"? now run by another group of people?
Not sure, but Steve and his team was very good support.

There are very few very good companies with performance lighting products that have some leaning towards design for the Toyota brand, and XD is one of them.

XD is also a TN site sponsor that gives great support. I am surprised I don't see them posting here.

Can you also share these pictures here? We can help resolve this. Often such companies that have new management will be a bit out of touch on the application of different products they offer.
But the forum is full of members that have the same vehicle and we can at least try and help to get you up and running, or to see you have a bad product.

·
2019 Le Plus
111 Posts
For the low beams I purchased their Extreme LED Pro and stuffed everything inside the headlight housing with the original covers in place.

I was pleased with the upgrade and it didn't disturb the factory headlight aim.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input so far.

I’ve opted to return. Their customer service has been great. Seems like most experience with the install is from 2018s or earlier.

I’m not mechanical tech but I tried for hours and hours to screw these in. And they just don’t fit securely enough or at all.

It’s too bad I was looking forward to the upgrade.

·
Registered
610 Posts
2017 HL here but I don't think they changed much in the 2019 version. I have installed the XD Extreme Pro LEDs.

Note that one of the 3 tabs at the base of the bulb is larger than the other 2, so there's a specific orientation that you need to insert the bulb into the housing.

·
Registered
05 & 12 Prius
14 Posts
@Woods4

Wanted to chime in on why it may have not fit as well as shed some reasoning.

First thing you must understand is that most aftermarket LED brands, construct the physical aspect of these types of products to cater more to the size bulb that you are replacing and not necessarily the car itself. The electrical aspect, however, is designed to work with teh vehicles electrical lighting circuits which most vehicles are usually the same with the excpetion of any unique circuits or monitoring systems.

With that being said, you can say that no aftermarket LED headlight bulb type product, on the market, is meant for your car, but this 1 H11 LED headlight, for example, may replace ANY H11 bulb that MANY cars use today such as your Toyota. With this in mind, the bulb may be designed in a way where the phyiscal dimensions may have fit issues either because clearance is limited or the bulb is too large to fit in the area. These can easily be avoided by comparing phyiscal dimensions and understanding your total clearance/play in the area that the bulb is installed to.

It sounds like you are looking for is something that is more specific and if the product that is recommended to you has not been properly tested and made specifically for your car then you can expect minor hiccups like this fit problem but with a little bit of research and understanding of what you have to play with, these matters can easily be avoided as well as remedied.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bulbs tabs don’t screw in properly for me. They are different thicknesses than the factory bulb and I think because the LED bulbs have thicker tabs I can’t get all 3 tabs in place to turn and lock in. Seems like at best I can get 2 of the 3 tabs in. I think the larger tab is too big. I spent hours trying to screw this in. I meant that.

I don’t have issues with anything else. Not the wires or dust cap. I even bought extended dust caps to use.

the LED bulbs wiggle out or if I can get them in, kinda, a simple bump would set them free. Definitely not fitting correctly.

I researched and wrote to xenon prior to my purchase. They even sent me a link to the correct product. Unfortunately I can’t get it to fit.

I was also asking if anyone with a 2019 Highlander had success with these bulbs. Is there anyone?

Because maybe I got a wrong product. But it seems that most responses and installs are shown with 2018 Highlanders or earlier.

I’m also wondering if there anyone has had success with other LEDs fitting a 2019.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bulbs tabs don’t screw in properly for me. They are different thicknesses than the factory bulb and I think because the LED bulbs have thicker tabs I can’t get all 3 tabs in place to turn and lock in. Seems like at best I can get 2 of the 3 tabs in. I think the larger tab is too big. I spent hours trying to screw this in. I meant that.

I don’t have issues with anything else. Not the wires or dust cap. I even bought extended dust caps to use.

the LED bulbs wiggle out or if I can get them in, kinda, a simple bump would set them free. Definitely not fitting correctly.

I researched and wrote to xenon prior to my purchase. They even sent me a link to the correct product. Unfortunately I can’t get it to fit.

I was also asking if anyone with a 2019 Highlander had success with these bulbs. Is there anyone?

Because maybe I got a wrong product. But it seems that most responses and installs are shown with 2018 Highlanders or earlier.

I’m also wondering if there anyone has had success with other LEDs fitting a 2019.

Thanks again.

Hi Woods,

I think Tomcoul was able to install it in his 2019. He got the Extreme LED Pro lights. Keep us posted on your issue.

Thanks,
Rich

·
2014 Highlander LE
7,813 Posts
So I wasn't sure what you meant by screwing in, and thought you had some special bulbs or something.......

Yes, it is a quarter turn., You likely have the wrong tab in the wrong opening area, as mentioned. It happened to me on another car. No matter how long you try, until you see the tab difference it wont work.

A simple picture would explain A LOT, to the possible defect. But as mentioned , the bulb housing and fit doesn't change. H11 is H11.

If you returned, and not going with XD, I would recommend going with Morimoto

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I can only get about 1/8" or 3/16" of clock wise turn to secured XD hid into 2019 XLE Highlander that was manufacture in 02/2019. I have also use the original rubber ring from Toyota H11 to replace XD blue ring. Well, since I just installed last night, i will test drive more to see if the vibration will cause it to loosen, if so I will RMA it back.

·
Registered
05 & 12 Prius
14 Posts
@Woods4
Can you post pictures of the LED headlight you have or maybe a link? Found an owners manual for the 2019 Highlander and it suggests the low beams must be H11 and high beams are 9005. If working on low beams, the LEDs must use a collar/connector that resembles a Halogen 55W 12V H11. Same goes for the high beams but bulb number must be 9005.

If the sizes do match, fit issue can be justified and may be a simple matter of the product being an aftermarket bulb and not made to OE standards. Very common to see this from aftermarket brands as the collars/tabs are typically designed to where they provide a universal fit on several sizes. Think of it as 'killing 2 birds with 1 stone'.

We suggest a comparison between the tabs on the factory bulb to a different LED to see if you can identify differences that made lead to this mounting issue you described. A source to the part or pictures would help though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Highlander XLE
15 Posts
LED bulbs in Toyota Projector Headlights

I am a XenonDepot customer with my 2014 Toyota Avalon Touring. Loved the product, with the exception of the light scatter (glare) above the cut-off beam. Now that I have a 2019 Highlander with the same old halogens, I'm looking again at an upgrade to LED bulbs.

That said, I've recently been talking with a USA based company out of Missouri, Diode Dynamics. They appear to have some interesting testing techniques to back up the claimed performance data. Like XenonDepot, they have also been helpful and quick to respond to questions. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I'm leaning their direction for the Highlander, based on the previous experience with my TAL.

·
Registered
25 Posts
New member here. Just traded my 2017 Tacoma Off Road for a 2017 Highlander XLE. Having been a Tacomaworld member for a few years, I can tell you there is a long and interesting posting about HID vs LED vs Halogen started by a member named "CrashnBurn80". I think a lot of it is applicable to the Highlander headlights.

He has done an incredible amount of testing on the various bulb options in the factory headlights. My conclusion of all his testing, is that some HID's suffer from shaking, LED's may be whiter, and appear brighter, but they do not perform well at distance. The best upgrade is a better H11 Halogen low beam bulb, or an H9 with a retrofitted female plug that has the tab removed to accept the H9's. The best performing bulb so far was a GE +130 bulb. It is not available in US, so must be ordered from England and is more expensive. It also has a much shorter life span than the stock Toyota halogen bulbs.

I assume the halogen bulbs in the Highlander are the same spec as the Tacoma bulbs - they provide long life, at the expense of poorer performance.

Please feel free to check out the 45 page thread on Tacomaworld. I have not actually picked up my Highlander yet, but I expect the headlight performance to be similar to the Tacoma. I kept my GE 130 bulbs, so I'll see if they perform better than the stock bulbs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
13,981 Posts
Xenon Depot has presence here, and they should be chiming in. I have heard the company is "sold"? now run by another group of people?

Not sure, but Steve and his team was very good support.

There are very few very good companies with performance lighting products that have some leaning towards design for the Toyota brand, and XD is one of them.

XD is also a TN site sponsor that gives great support. I am surprised I don't see them posting here.

Xenon Depot (now owned by the Retrofit Source) is no longer a supporting vendor. They are no longer participating on ANY forums. You will not see them posting on TN or anywhere else. From their response, I’d say Steve sold the company.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts