Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just took delivery of a brand new HL Plat last night. I was looking at adding a tow hitch and have Pepboys install it. The thing is, some of the websites (amazon for example) it says the OEM is not compatible with the car. Is it because of cameras? I'm just concerned I'm going to order something that doesn't fit. And the dealer is probably going to ask me a fortune...

Any suggestions? Thank you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I installed the OEM hitch on my 2018 Platinum Hybrid no problem. There may be a part number difference between the hybrid hitch and the non hybrid version, but they do in fact for the car perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
The part number your looking for
PT228-48173 or PT228-48170
The LE, XLE, and SE use
PT228-48172 or PT228-48174
I’m looking to add a hitch, so I have looked it up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I installed the OEM hitch on my 2018 Platinum Hybrid no problem. There may be a part number difference between the hybrid hitch and the non hybrid version, but they do in fact for the car perfectly.

Thank you for your reply.

Did you buy it from the dealer? I quickly looked online and found results for a Limited 2019 hitch but not Platinum.

I wonder if this will be ok.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Platinum is the "limited" trim.

"parts.toyota.com" lists the following hitch part number for the Limited trim: PT22848173 (there is a different part for the non-limited trims)

I purchased the hitch from an online retailer ("bamwholesaleparts.com") a year ago for $302 free shipping/no tax and installed it myself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Platinum is the "limited" trim.

"parts.toyota.com" lists the following hitch part number for the Limited trim: PT22848173 (there is a different part for the non-limited trims)

I purchased the hitch from an online retailer ("bamwholesaleparts.com") a year ago for $302 free shipping/no tax and installed it myself.
Thank you. I'll order from them too as their price is the best.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check for coupons.

I couldn’t find one. I tried to call them but didn’t get anyone to pick up the phone. I also sent them a message on Facebook but no answer either.

thank you for all the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any thoughts on the OEM hitch receiver vs the Curt 13200 that is less expensive? I put a Curt on my 2006 hihy and it worked quite well.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Any thoughts on the OEM hitch receiver vs the Curt 13200 that is less expensive? I put a Curt on my 2006 hihy and it worked quite well.
Just aesthetics and receiver height. The OEM sits a little higher and is integrated into the bottom of the bumper because you have to remove the lower trim from the bumper to install it; they give you a split replacement piece to install in its place.
For either, you still have to trim the under car splash shields.

·
Registered
52 Posts
IMO you'll probably get the extra cost of the OEM hitch back at resale time. It looks far more integrated with the vehicle.

When I was shopping for my used HiHy, I ruled one car out because it had an aftermarket hitch that I thought looked ugly.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Toyota OEM hitch for sure, not only the appearance as dal20402 mentioned, but also the extra side support brackets for regidity and 2"-3" higher clearance than some of the aftermarket hitches that drops below the rear bumper..
. IMG_1382.jpeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
OEM Hitch, works great, no issues. I even replaced the "carpy" temporary spare with a full size spare and everything fits and works perfectly. Pic posted on another thread, search for 'full size spare' or I can find the thread if you'd like just let me know.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I just got my tow hitch installed but it doesn’t look like the picture above. Not a clean look at all. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah I just found the two parts in my trunk. Do I put them on or the whole thing needs to be reassembled?

thank you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts