Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2019 Highlander SE about 3 weeks ago thinking that Toyota is the best brand in USA, but the problems I been having with my stereo are making me think twice about Toyota. My stereo turns off every 3-5 min, blacks out the screen for 10-15 seconds and the shows Toyota screen and then blacks out again for another 5-10 sec, sometimes return to the same screen I had it and other times take me to the main menu with no sound. I tooked it to the dealer and they said that maybe was my phone or the app entune that I was using, Toyota sends me an email to register on this app and download it, now they told me that I have to erase that one and download entune 3.0. but the problem persisted and took it back. Toyota said it was my stereo, so they have to replace it, but it will take 2-3 weeks to get the new radio because they are in backorder, I told them that it was unacceptable and I guess they find a radio and replace for a new one, but soonest I got out the car dealer I got the same problem and took it back, they insist that it will be my phone the iOS, but I did not even link my phone with the new stereo (i don't think they believe me) when the next day I when to pick up the car loner finally, after 2 days without car. next, we drove the highlander and to show the problems while we drove the car, they still have my car in the agency, I call today and still, they don't know whats going on. is been 3 time and I have to do a trip and no car, Toyota told me I cannot use the loner for my trip, so now I'm still waiting and see what they going to do, but I will demand a new Highlander and compensation for the time I wasted going and coming back and lost hours in my job.

Now in order to build a case with Toyota they want my iPhone, they wan to reset and erase all the entune apps, even do the problem turning off the new stereo was not even connecting my Iphone.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Sorry to hear of your encounter. I would say 99% of the people who buy a Toyota are for its reliability and Not for its audio or navigation system. Yes, being the on-board audio system is sold to you as a whole, Toyota is not excused from having to solve the issue for you; unfortunately, your purchasing dealership (unless you have another Toyota dealership as an alternate source to help you) has to be the one involved to perform the work to resolve the issue for you. Another unfortunate fact is that an audio system does not immobilize your vehicle from other operations, therefore, the timing of your planned trip can still continue, just without the nice tune for the trip - yet, in the past, my local dealer did workout a partial reimbursement to a friend of mine (they offered my friend one of the sales person's demo vehicle, not the same model, but, included a 500 free mile - my friend pays per mile beyon the 500...), so that may be something you can build your case and check with your sales person.... Sincerely, Best Wish!

·
Limited
1,735 Posts
OP, let us know how that "demand" of a new Highlander of yours works out. Hope you are prepared to prove that your job requires a functioning phone paired to the audio system in your personal vehicle so that you can get all that compensation out of Toyota.

Oh yeah, you haven't even gotten to the worst part yet. That is, there is no Apple CarPlay in your Highlander. Just sell it and get a Dodge.

·
Registered
2019 highlander LE
653 Posts
I've got this vehicle a week ago and was prepared for the worst ,reading all the complains about Entune system.
So far no issues at all.
I used BT, usb cable to iphone and one cd just for test.
I have all line up to replaced the radio next week with aftermarket unit with carplay, but I am not in a hurry. this radio just works. I did not install the entune app on my phone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 2019 Highlander SE about 3 weeks ago thinking that Toyota is the best brand in USA, but the problems I been having with my stereo are making me think twice about Toyota. My stereo turns off every 3-5 min, blacks out the screen for 10-15 seconds and the shows Toyota screen and then blacks out again for another 5-10 sec, sometimes return to the same screen I had it and other times take me to the main menu with no sound. I tooked it to the dealer and they said that maybe was my phone or the app entune that I was using, Toyota sends me an email to register on this app and download it, now they told me that I have to erase that one and download entune 3.0. but the problem persisted and took it back. Toyota said it was my stereo, so they have to replace it, but it will take 2-3 weeks to get the new radio because they are in backorder, I told them that it was unacceptable and I guess they find a radio and replace for a new one, but soonest I got out the car dealer I got the same problem and took it back, they insist that it will be my phone the iOS, but I did not even link my phone with the new stereo (i don't think they believe me) when the next day I when to pick up the car loner finally, after 2 days without car. next, we drove the highlander and to show the problems while we drove the car, they still have my car in the agency, I call today and still, they don't know whats going on. is been 3 time and I have to do a trip and no car, Toyota told me I cannot use the loner for my trip, so now I'm still waiting and see what they going to do, but I will demand a new Highlander and compensation for the time I wasted going and coming back and lost hours in my job.

Now in order to build a case with Toyota they want my iPhone, they wan to reset and erase all the entune apps, even do the problem turning off the new stereo was not even connecting my Iphone.
I am having the exact same problems. I think I've narrowed it down to when my iphone is hooked up to my bluetooth it will shut down the entire navigation system. If I just use the aux cord it doesn't shut down but then I can't have phone calls or messages come in. I even got a new iphone and it still shuts the nav system down. I've restored and rebooted and erased and everything and still no solution.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here was my post on another forum.

My Highlander is 9 months old. Until 2 months ago everything was fine then my navigation system (the whole system that's on the touch screen) would just turn off as I was driving and reboot. At first, this would happen a few times a week. Now it happens several times a day. I have determined that it is a bluetooth problem (at least that's what I think) I have an iphone 8. If I turn the bluetooth off on the phone the navigation system stays on. I have taken older model iphones in the car and added them to my system and there is no problem. I have turned off the bluetooth and re-added the phone. I've done a soft reboot of the nav system. I've taken it to Toyota. Today, I got a new iphone 11 and within 5 minutes of leaving AT&T and after I connected it to the vehicle the navigation system turned off. It's so frustrating and strange. I'm going to try another newer model phone tonight to see if it's just the newer technology. I have no clue. In addition, the messages are not being read AND I have notifications turned on on the iphone. I have watched so many youtube video tutorials about bluetooth problems..just don't know what else to do. Toyota did a system update and said they can't see anything wrong on their end. I think I need to go back in. Help please.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander SE
5 Posts
We own a 2019 Highlander SE, which we purchased in late October. This same issue started happening in our vehicle last night. It’s the first time this occurred, and the stereo/head Unit is shutting down and rebooting every 1 to 3 minutes. So, basically our audio is useless. I do own an iPhone 8+ and the operating system is updated. My wife owns a newer iPhone, but this occurred why my iPhone was paired to the vehicle’s Bluetooth. I do have the Entune app installed on my iPhone.

I appreciate the posts here. I’ll see if I can troubleshoot things by disabling Bluetooth on my iPhone and see if that makes a difference. Thanks and I’ll come back with another update.

if you have any recommendations or thoughts about whether I should just go straight to the dealership at this point, please advise. We bought this vehicle from a dealership that is a couple hours away, so we would need to go to the local (different) dealer here in our city. Thank you!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I believe

I believe there is an update for the headunit that fixes this issue

·
Registered
3 Posts
We own a 2019 Highlander SE, which we purchased in late October. This same issue started happening in our vehicle last night. It’s the first time this occurred, and the stereo/head Unit is shutting down and rebooting every 1 to 3 minutes. So, basically our audio is useless. I do own an iPhone 8+ and the operating system is updated. My wife owns a newer iPhone, but this occurred why my iPhone was paired to the vehicle’s Bluetooth. I do have the Entune app installed on my iPhone.

I appreciate the posts here. I’ll see if I can troubleshoot things by disabling Bluetooth on my iPhone and see if that makes a difference. Thanks and I’ll come back with another update.

if you have any recommendations or thoughts about whether I should just go straight to the dealership at this point, please advise. We bought this vehicle from a dealership that is a couple hours away, so we would need to go to the local (different) dealer here in our city. Thank you!
Sorry to hear about your stereo issues. Toyota did not do a very good job with their entertainment system, that’s for sure. I have a 2017 highlander without JBL and without navigation and had a few minor issues with the Bluetooth and amplifier. I just scrapped the factory unit and purchased a 9 inch Alpine with Apple CarPlay. I did have to make my own face plate but the system sounds so much better than the factory unit at a fraction of the cost. That’s my two cents for what they are worth.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander SE
5 Posts
Sorry to hear about your stereo issues. Toyota did not do a very good job with their entertainment system, that’s for sure. I have a 2017 highlander without JBL and without navigation and had a few minor issues with the Bluetooth and amplifier. I just scrapped the factory unit and purchased a 9 inch Alpine with Apple CarPlay. I did have to make my own face plate but the system sounds so much better than the factory unit at a fraction of the cost. That’s my two cents for what they are worth.
Thanks! I deleted/unpaired the two iPhones that we had previously paired to our head unit earlier today. I’ve driven the car a couple times since then. Have not had any issues with the head unit in terms of it repeatedly shutting itself down and attempting to reboot.

So, it appears it is either a Bluetooth and/or an Apple iPhone issue.

Yes, I’m definitely going to take it to the dealership. Hopefully, it’s just a software patch. But I want to try a couple different connection configurations over the next several days so that I can go into the dealership “armed” with information.

We had a related sort of issue with our 2014 Avalon Limited (premium JBL system w nav) and, while that was with another dealership, we ended up having to make several trips back-and-forth to the dealer to try and get them to address the issue. So, I’m just trying to avoid multiple trips to the dealer if I can help it as it is quite a bit of time and then the potential frustration, too. But, yes, that’s where we’re heading here soon.

Even before purchasing this vehicle, I was aware of these issues with Toyota. So I’ve pretty much resigned myself to eventually installing an aftermarket unit. But, I’ll be darned if I voluntarily do it just a few months after owning the vehicle:)

·
Registered
2019 highlander LE
653 Posts
It’s not the iphone , it’s the app.
We did not install the app and between 3 iphones no issues so far.
If it matters we have connected iphone 7, iphone xs max and 11pro.

·
Registered
2019 Highlander SE
5 Posts
It’s not the iphone , it’s the app.
We did not install the app and between 3 iphones no issues so far.
If it matters we have connected iphone 7, iphone xs max and 11pro.
Thanks for feedback/information. Super helpful to know that. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
2019 Highlander SE
5 Posts

Update/FYI:
“Unpaired” / deleted our phones from the BT device pairing list and have not had a single issue with audio unit since doing so (over the last 2 days).
Going to start over with pairing them to the unit and will see if these issues return.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts