Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 & 2019 Highlander LE Plus AWD
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 2019 Highlander. From day one I've had trouble being able to pivot the driver or passenger side mirrors down. At the local Toyota service shop diagnosed the issue and recommended replacement of just driver side mirror unit. After they completed that work I'm still having trouble getting the drivers side mirror to pivot down unless I jiggle left and right as I hold the joystick down/pull back. ironically right in front of me the service writer was able to move it down on demand but they witnessed I couldn't on a consistent basis. I think the switch needs to be replaced, but they sort of left it that they could get it to move down so they weren't going to do anything else. Has anyone else had issues with the side mirror joystick being finicky when pivoting either side mirror downward? My wife has a 2016 Highlander and we don't have this issue.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
... Or, contact Toyota USA customer service, explain the issue and event that has taken place with your dealer service department, ask to have a "case" opened (get the case number for your own reference) to possibly have the switch looked at again and preferably replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bought a 2019 Highlander. From day one I've had trouble being able to pivot the driver or passenger side mirrors down. At the local Toyota service shop diagnosed the issue and recommended replacement of just driver side mirror unit. After they completed that work I'm still having trouble getting the drivers side mirror to pivot down unless I jiggle left and right as I hold the joystick down/pull back. ironically right in front of me the service writer was able to move it down on demand but they witnessed I couldn't on a consistent basis. I think the switch needs to be replaced, but they sort of left it that they could get it to move down so they weren't going to do anything else. Has anyone else had issues with the side mirror joystick being finicky when pivoting either side mirror downward? My wife has a 2016 Highlander and we don't have this issue.
I just got my 2019 Highlander a few days ago and have exactly the same issue since day 1. It seems the joystick is defective.

·
Registered
745 Posts
6 years of making this vehicle and they are still having these issues ? My 2019 seems fine but then again I don't fiddle withe mirrors much.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have this issue too, from day 1, seem you have to move it around at first to get it to do anything. Only seems to be the drivers side tho, the passenger one seem to move when I need it to. Drivers mirror get move due to me and my wife’s seating position.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have this issue too, from day 1, seem you have to move it around at first to get it to do anything. Only seems to be the drivers side tho, the passenger one seem to move when I need it to. Drivers mirror get move due to me and my wife’s seating position.
It's somewhat validating that other 2019 HL owners are having the same issue with driver side mirror not consistently pivoting down. After my first post, with the issue still present following the driver side mirror unit replacement, I pushed back on the dealer. They had me check how the mirror joystick was working on a HL limited in the showroom. I was able to pivot the driver's side mirror down instantly. The service department wanted to make sure I was satisfied with their effort so they agreed to swap the joystick from another 2019 HL LE Plus on the lot, not the joystick that worked for me on the 2019 HL limited in the showroom. Needless to say, I am still having the issue even after the joystick swap from another 2019 HL LE Plus. What is even more frustrating, is that two service writers seem to have the Midas touch and can get the driver’s side mirror pivot down right in front of me. I’m really at a loss for words on how the service writers can pivot the mirror down, but I try do the same thing right in front of them and it won’t pivot down but will instantly move up, left and right. I have tried every downward movement and speed I can think of to get a more consistent downward pivot of the driver's side mirror but +90% it won’t move down. The service department offered to open up a case for me as someone else mentioned, but since they can seem to get the joystick to pivot the driver's side mirror, I feel like it might be a waste of everyone's time. Again, we also have a 2016 HL LE Plus and the joystick moves the driver's side mirror downward consistently. For anyone’s reference, my 2019 HL LE Plus with this issue has a build date of 08/19 from Indiana.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
bdjohnso, just out of curiosity if you have/can try to adjust the driver-side mirror to tilt down while slightly press on the joy stick (or slightly tugging-up on the joy stick --- yes, I understand the joy stick can only turn left/right for Drive-side/Nutural/Passenger-side), I wonder if the joy stick switch has some minor "electric contact" fitment issue on design...
Can you please give it another few tries and let us know? Thanks!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bdjohnso, just out of curiosity if you have/can try to adjust the driver-side mirror to tilt down while slightly press on the joy stick (or slightly tugging-up on the joy stick --- yes, I understand the joy stick can only turn left/right for Drive-side/Nutural/Passenger-side), I wonder if the joy stick switch has some minor "electric contact" fitment issue on design...
Can you please give it another few tries and let us know? Thanks!
Hi Rickvmax, no, pushing down or pulling up on the joystick does not make a difference. However, in a similar idea, I have found that I can eventually, on a consistent basis, get the driver's side mirror to pivot down if I pull it down/back then jiggle the switch back and forth between 5, 6 & 7 o'clock position for a few seconds. It takes a good 2-3 seconds before it will start moving each time with not instant responses. I don't know where that leaves me with the dealer as the already replaced the entire driver's side mirror unit and swapped a switch out with another LE Plus on the lot. My guess is both LE Plus's had bad/finicky switch. Not sure if I should start a case with the dealer and Toyota or just live with it. The service writers seem be to able to get it to pivot down with less fight, but they don't have to live with the issue like me. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
What puzzles me is your passenger-side mirror is completly normal (response to the joy stick, tilting down and other directions) - the only difference from driver-side control is by the switch electrical contacts when turning the joy stick knob (left, center, right) all others are common...

Personally (if you are up for it), under the circumstances, I would remove (pry off) the switch cluster from the driver-side door handle, flip the switch cluster to its side where you can see the under-side of the switches/wires & connectors (without disconnect any electrical plug), Turn On the ignition, locate the single "multi-wire connector" (probably has 10-12 wires I am guessing) to the mirror control switch "joy stick", slightly tug on (without disconnecting) the wires/connector and slightly put some pressure on the connector's 4 sides separately while each time making attempt to adjust/tilt the dirver-side mirror down and up... Does that make any difference in eliminating that 2-3 seconds delay...? If yes, remember how you tug and push etc. to make the joy stick operate flawlessly ... that would still indicate a flaw in the switch...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What puzzles me is your passenger-side mirror is completly normal (response to the joy stick, tilting down and other directions) - the only difference from driver-side control is by the switch electrical contacts when turning the joy stick knob (left, center, right) all others are common...

Personally (if you are up for it), under the circumstances, I would remove (pry off) the switch cluster from the driver-side door handle, flip the switch cluster to its side where you can see the under-side of the switches/wires & connectors (without disconnect any electrical plug), Turn On the ignition, locate the single "multi-wire connector" (probably has 10-12 wires I am guessing) to the mirror control switch "joy stick", slightly tug on (without disconnecting) the wires/connector and slightly put some pressure on the connector's 4 sides separately while each time making attempt to adjust/tilt the dirver-side mirror down and up... Does that make any difference in eliminating that 2-3 seconds delay...? If yes, remember how you tug and push etc. to make the joy stick operate flawlessly ... that would still indicate a flaw in the switch...
Hi Rickvmax, you're instincts were correct, I was focusing just on my driver's side mirror because that's what I noticed first and never really looked close at the passenger side behavior. In addition, the dealership told me it was an issue with the drivers side mirror, which they replaced instead of the joystick switch. I think they misdiagnosed the issue being the entire mirror unit because I just checked the passenger side mirror and it has the same issue with just the pivot down with up and left/right okay. Thanks for the tip on troubleshooting, which I might try this weekend. I'm a little embarrassed I didn't double check the passenger side before reporting the issue to the dealer and a little disappointed they didn't check either. I'm fairly confident now the joystick switch is faulty/problematic/difficult to use downward, but I don't have an explanation for why the switch they swapped over from the other 2019 LE Plus still has the same issue/performance. The only thing that makes sense is either both switches were from a bad quality batch or I just don't know how to push the switch downwards correctly/just right. I might just open up a "case" for the issue with the dealer/Toyota. I think the dealers get gigged if they make an unnecessary repair, my guess a complete side mirror probably isn't cheap, and/or if the don't correct the issue in the first try.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Me to. I noticed this issue from day one. Need to wiggle it in downward push to get it to work, even on this late 2019 HL made on 9/20/19. Maybe a bad batch of joystick switches?
My 1998 Nissan Frontier had the same issue on drivers side mirror. I had the mirror replaced, still did it, not as bad so I lived with it. I had to move it up, before moving it down.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hey, that's what the forum is about sharing suggestion, experience, say something to trigger more thoughts, discussions and possible fixes... I am very glad that you narrowed it down to the switch, great job ?.

The inside of that joystick switch has many metal contacts attached to the switch plastic molding/housing, a slight defect in the molding can cause the metal pieces to misalign (off just enough to cause intermittent issues)...

Yes, the factory may very well had a big shipment of those minor imperfect switches; ask your dealer to order a new switch for you instead of pulling another one off their cars in the lot is a good idea.

Best Wish!

·
Registered
2019 Black Highlander XLE
2 Posts
I just got a 19 xle and thought the joystick for the mirrors was sticking a bit. I got them to work okay but it isn't very smooth, I don't change my mirrors much but that is interesting because my 2017 xle didn't do this.

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are always running changes intended to take cost out. Sometimes they go too far. Seems like maybe there's such an issue with the 2019 mirror joystick.

2016 Limited, no issue here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 xle has been doing the same thing. I have to push down harder for the driver or passenger mirror to go down.

·
Registered
1 Posts
01/30/2020:
Just purchased 2019 XLE — same exact problem as described above, our 2017 XLE did not have this problem — tempted to pick up an older new stock joystick from EBay and ask dealer to swap it in. Does anyone from Toyota read these forums? This seems to be a widespread issue!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought 2019 highlander and I have issue
With it since first day. Took car back to dealer they change the switch. But still doesn’t work right. I think some manufacturer issue

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've been quiet on this issue for awhile. I've learned to live with the switch/mirrors the way they work poorly because I can get them to pivot downward consistently on both sides by rocking the joystick switch left and right while pulling it back/down. It by no means works the way it should, but I can get it to work. On mine it appears the mirror pivot switch is mounted biased towards the rear of the car which is possibly limiting the travel of the switch downward. Like it's not clipping into the housing centered into the hole. I haven't tried it yet, but I have this theory that if I pop off the switch housing and unmount the switch, so that its downward movement is no longer restricted by the opening, that the switch would probably consistently pivot each mirror downward the way we think it should. So is it possible there's an alignment defect with the switch and how it clips into the housing where all the switches mount on the door and that's the problem versus an electrical issue with switch or a mirror motor. Just a thought if someone with this issue has the time and energy to unclip the side mirror pivot switch from the door housing and check the mirror download pivot performance with the switch is unmounted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I filed a case number with Toyota 3 months ago about this issue. I tried to find out what lot number of switches where used on late 2019 production date cars, and when the 2019 production ended. I am guessing late October? And if the all new 2020 has the same switch? But they would not tell me that information. I was merely trying to save them time and money. There is a good possibility that my late 9/20/19 production date, and the spare switches that they have on hand are the same batch number. No point on wasting my time getting a new switch for now, since it will most likely be bad to. As they continue to get more complaints, I am sure in the future they will take action and replace the bad lot number of switches. Its sad, I should have gotten more response on my case number from Toyota.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts