Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new 2019 Highlander. I love every part about it except....I do not like the start stop feature, where the engine turns off when you are sitting at a stop sign and then starts again when you take your foot off the brake. Does anyone know if there is a way to turn that off? I followed the instructions in the manual but it did not work.

·
Registered
2019 highlander LE
621 Posts
you push that button on your left that looks like a spring with an A in the middle. after you restart the engine you have do it again !
I am glad mine doesn't have this "feature".

·
Registered
3rd Gen Highlander
778 Posts
I just purchased a new 2019 Highlander. I love every part about it except....I do not like the start stop feature, where the engine turns off when you are sitting at a stop sign and then starts again when you take your foot off the brake. Does anyone know if there is a way to turn that off? I followed the instructions in the manual but it did not work.
I assume you don't like the factory disabling switch (has to be activated each time after you started the vehicle), and want the system to default to be Off and only becomes actives when you wanted it? If I am on par, there are aftermarket devices available; the video below is only for your reference as there are different variations and brands/sellers to choose from. Good Luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
There is a turn off button on mine, but if you press the break hard enough while sitting at a stop it still turns off. I’m getting used to the amount of pressure and I’ve only driven it 2x. I think eventually I’ll get used to it, but don’t like it overall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To manually disable
There is a turn off button on mine, but if you press the break hard enough while sitting at a stop it still turns off. I’m getting used to the amount of pressure and I’ve only driven it 2x. I think eventually I’ll get used to it, but don’t like it overall.
You have to verify you see the A icon toggle on and off in the center screen, if not you may have an issue with your button or it’s another issue. Start stop was only put in to scam mileage ratings. Real world mpg for city is way lower. From my understanding is they found a way to exploit the test using start stop.

·
Registered
669 Posts
To manually disable

You have to verify you see the A icon toggle on and off in the center screen, if not you may have an issue with your button or it’s another issue. Start stop was only put in to scam mileage ratings. Real world mpg for city is way lower. From my understanding is they found a way to exploit the test using start stop.
Yeah real world city mpg is almost laughable, no matter how hard one tries to baby the gas pedal, they must of had some long traffic lights in the city test for start/ stop to have any effect. Highway mpg is remarkable in comparison, this is a vehicle that doesn't like city driving, getting pickup truck style gas mileage in some circumstances.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2019 Limited.
I don't like that feature neither.
I thought about purchasing that electronic module to permanently disable it.But I find that if I do not press the brake pedal too hard it will not activate.My opinion is based on 16 days of ownership though.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Was at dinner the other night. After the meal the guys were all sitting around talking. The subject of the S/S feature on new cars came up. Every last guy there HATED that stupid idea. Another government influenced bad idea.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yeah real world city mpg is almost laughable, no matter how hard one tries to baby the gas pedal, they must of had some long traffic lights in the city test for start/ stop to have any effect. Highway mpg is remarkable in comparison, this is a vehicle that doesn't like city driving, getting pickup truck style gas mileage in some circumstances.
I agree with highway mileage very close, I took a long trip and averaged around 27 mpg most of the way I was droning around 80 mph. The EPA test are done on a dyno.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts