Toyota Nation Forum banner

321 - 339 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
At the dealership now to get my amp replaced. Asked how much was involved and where it was at to the service person...said it was in the back and they have to take all the panels out. I was like "uh, I think it's in the front"...says they had to replace another one and it was in the back. I said ok. This should be interesting. Will be doing a full inspection after it gets done outside in the sun so I can see everything and if there are scratches, will drive right back in and have them start replacing the parts. So aggravating...and when people don't know what's going on, makes it even more frustrating.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 2019 Platinum was ordered from the factory about 6 weeks ago. Got it with 3 miles on it. Doesn't seem to have this issue. Just FYI I think they've fixed the ones that are currently coming off the line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2019 Platinum was ordered from the factory about 6 weeks ago. Got it with 3 miles on it. Doesn't seem to have this issue. Just FYI I think they've fixed the ones that are currently coming off the line.
I am just curious if your new vehicle has the JBL system? From what I have read, the problem with the JBL amplifier that is creating problems with other owners is because Toyota used old JBL amplifiers from previous models or years that were not compatible with the newer Entune system. I'm glad that you don't have the problem and congrats on your new car!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum the end of May, 2019. Without using the work around procedure, the audio from the navigation does not work. I also think the Driver Speak Easy App doesn't work, but its difficult for me to tell from the driver seat. So, I called the dealership where I bought the car and they want me to bring it in for a software update. Knowing the problem as discussed in this blog, I didn't want to waste my time. I called Toyota (national) and spoke with a nice lady that also didn't know anything about the problem. I informed her of the work around procedure, informed her of the JBL amplifier being the probable cause and that I wanted my amplifier replaced. She gave me a case number, but told me I would have to go through the dealership and reconnected me with them. So, now, I have an appointment to take my car in for diagnosis. 50 mile roundtrip to Tacoma. Before they give me a loaner car, they have to diagnosis the problem. The girl says it may just be a software update. It's still hard for me to believe that no one at Toyota apparently has ever heard of the problem. I guess it's like, if you're not aware of a problem, maybe it will go away. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can I return my vehicle and get my money back based on this problem?We bought this vehicle last Sunday and discovered the problem the very next day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Can I return my vehicle and get my money back based on this problem?We bought this vehicle last Sunday and discovered the problem the very next day.
My dealer has a 5 day no questions asked return policy. I'm not sure if that's 5 business days or calendar days. But, it's worth a try.

·
Registered
5 Posts
As a follow-up to my post above: One or two pages back in this forum there is an attachment of a Toyota service bulletin T-SB-0042-19 dated April 11, 2019. I will try to attach it here as well. So, Toyota has known about this problem at least back into April and probably longer. I called Toyota Corporate back and told the lady my first case number which she read. I then told her that there is a Toyota service bulletin pertaining to my problem, gave her, the number, and after a few minutes on hold, she gave me a new case #. She said a Customer relations manager would call me the next day. A lady from the dealership called the next day and said that I still need to have my vehicle diagnosed for the problem and then they would go from there. What irks me the most is that even though Toyota knows that there is a problem, they don't do anything until the customer calls them on it. Why not go through their inventory and check out the problem and repair the problem BEFORE they sell you the car? I am pretty sure that it is to protect the dealer. Don't tell anyone about the problem because you probably won't sell the car and that would be total chaos for the sales department. Let the consumer take the fall and then fix it under warranty. It's NOT what I would call good customer service. Before I leave the dealership next week, especially if they say it is fixed, I will double check the audio on the navigation and make sure they didn't just do the "work around" solution for a temporary fix. The "work around" is posted in this forum somewhere, but if you can't find it, let me know and I will re post it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Platinum HL
75 Posts
As a follow-up to my post above: One or two pages back in this forum there is an attachment of a Toyota service bulletin T-SB-0042-19 dated April 11, 2019. I will try to attach it here as well. So, Toyota has known about this problem at least back into April and probably longer. I called Toyota Corporate back and told the lady my first case number which she read. I then told her that there is a Toyota service bulletin pertaining to my problem, gave her, the number, and after a few minutes on hold, she gave me a new case #. She said a Customer relations manager would call me the next day. A lady from the dealership called the next day and said that I still need to have my vehicle diagnosed for the problem and then they would go from there. What irks me the most is that even though Toyota knows that there is a problem, they don't do anything until the customer calls them on it. Why not go through their inventory and check out the problem and repair the problem BEFORE they sell you the car? I am pretty sure that it is to protect the dealer. Don't tell anyone about the problem because you probably won't sell the car and that would be total chaos for the sales department. Let the consumer take the fall and then fix it under warranty. It's NOT what I would call good customer service. Before I leave the dealership next week, especially if they say it is fixed, I will double check the audio on the navigation and make sure they didn't just do the "work around" solution for a temporary fix. The "work around" is posted in this forum somewhere, but if you can't find it, let me know and I will re post it.
I can tell you that Toyota DEFINITELY knew about it on December 9th 2018...I informed them after receiving my Highlander the previous day and realizing the problem existed...if you go the the 1st page when this thread was created, it was prior to December when the Thread was started !
It took me 5 months of waiting on the "fix"....everything is ok now, but totally UNACCEPTABLE how they did this whole mess and continued to sell them with a known defect and said nothing to every person who bought one !

·
B52D,F,G,H
2019 HiHy,2016 Prius
33 Posts
I bought my Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum the end of May, 2019. Without using the work around procedure, the audio from the navigation does not work. I also think the Driver Speak Easy App doesn't work, but its difficult for me to tell from the driver seat. So, I called the dealership where I bought the car and they want me to bring it in for a software update. Knowing the problem as discussed in this blog, I didn't want to waste my time. I called Toyota (national) and spoke with a nice lady that also didn't know anything about the problem. I informed her of the work around procedure, informed her of the JBL amplifier being the probable cause and that I wanted my amplifier replaced. She gave me a case number, but told me I would have to go through the dealership and reconnected me with them. So, now, I have an appointment to take my car in for diagnosis. 50 mile roundtrip to Tacoma. Before they give me a loaner car, they have to diagnosis the problem. The girl says it may just be a software update. It's still hard for me to believe that no one at Toyota apparently has ever heard of the problem. I guess it's like, if you're not aware of a problem, maybe it will go away. I'll keep you posted.
Correct, all that worked when they eventually replaced the amp. Very painful process BTW!
Also the bottom drivers seat in the platinum is horrible on longer trips.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just had the AMP replaced in my 2019 Highlander Platinum. Dealer knew nothing about the TSB, I had to print it and bring it to them. They agreed and ordered the amp, took 3 days to arrive. The change out took about 4 hours, they have to pull it out and reinstall the knew one then reprogram it and make sure everything is working. Seems to be working fine now. Since it is a TSB they do not give you a rental so had to pay for that but they gave me a deal at $20. Assistant Service Manager says they are now aware of the issue and how to solve it. He told me ti was the first one to bring it in for this. Im sure I won't be the last.
Imhaving the same issue. And now they tell me that over 40mph its not supposed to work. How come it does on all there other cars...I want a new radio or it needs to work

·
B52D,F,G,H
2019 HiHy,2016 Prius
33 Posts
Imhaving the same issue. And now they tell me that over 40mph its not supposed to work. How come it does on all there other cars...I want a new radio or it needs to work
They be big fat liars with pants on fire. Print out the bulletin in this thread and go to another dealer if you can. .:)

If Toyota thinks we are happy with all this they are grossly mistaken.

You are only as good as the last product you sold me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I was (for today) pleasantly surprised. I was able to have one text read to me going about 50mph on my way home....but of course someone left McDonalds trash in my passenger seat and forgot to put my mud mat back in after washing. We'll see what tomorrow brings!

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,171 Posts
6Muttmom.....FWIW...ask SA about your mud mat. If on d side floor, it might not be approved? Sounds like your repair is good, so thats good.

·
willchrisusa
3 Posts
I have a 2019 Highlander that there is no audio from voice guidance ( after pressing the button ) or voice from navigation ( no turn by turn direction going to destination )
Current guidance from dealer service is to avoid pairing phone ( Android with version 9 ) for 2 weeks then when I do pair the phone do not share contacts or messages.\

See
TSB #T-SB-0042-19
My 2019 Highlander Limited Platinum Hybrid exhibited the problem described above. Dealer stumped. Found this TSB in research. Dealer exchanged the JBL Amplifier. Navigation voice now works fine. Good luck.

Anyone have this experience ?

321 - 339 of 339 Posts