Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 331 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, at the same point with my dealership here in central Wisconsin. Told me I'm the 3rd one with this problem at their dealership, but I was the first one with an actual appt. to try to figure it out. After all was said and done, they contacted regional Toyota, now have a case number, Toyota is aware of problem and "working" on it, not holding my breath however. In the meantime, in case you haven't seen it in an earlier post, was shown a very easy workaround that works EVERY time! BEFORE even attempting to start car, hit the start/stop button twice. THEN AND ONLY THEN, after doing this, depress the brake and start as usual. LIke I said, works every time....so far!

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
2019 Highlander voice in guidance or navigation

I have the same issue with the navigation system on my 2019 Highlander Limited Platinum. There is obviously either a hardware or software conflict as previously mentioned. It alarms me that Toyota knew about the problem based on the timing of the complaints and never notified the customers. This concerns me because I called Toyota and was told they had never heard of this issue and had nothing on file regarding the issue. Had I known this, we would have most likely either waited to see how the situation was addressed or fixed or perhaps purchased another automobile. This is a very expensive item in the Toyota line-up and we had previously heard about Toyota quality, so we're awaiting a software or hardware resolution. The local dealer has a first class service department and told us they would notify us when corporate addressed the issue. The Entune navigation / sound system in general, is a poor product compared to many other competitors. I had hoped that the 2019 Highlander had at least been updated to the latest Entune format and hardware. I do want to stress all automobile manufacturers have problems and always felt one should be judged by the solution rather than the problem itself.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same issue with the navigation system on my 2019 Highlander Limited Platinum. There is obviously either a hardware or software conflict as previously mentioned. It alarms me that Toyota knew about the problem based on the timing of the complaints and never notified the customers. This concerns me because I called Toyota and was told they had never heard of this issue and had nothing on file regarding the issue. Had I known this, we would have most likely either waited to see how the situation was addressed or fixed or perhaps purchased another automobile. This is a very expensive item in the Toyota line-up and we had previously heard about Toyota quality, so we're awaiting a software or hardware resolution. The local dealer has a first class service department and told us they would notify us when corporate addressed the issue. The Entune navigation / sound system in general, is a poor product compared to many other competitors. I had hoped that the 2019 Highlander had at least been updated to the latest Entune format and hardware. I do want to stress all automobile manufacturers have problems and always felt one should be judged by the solution rather than the problem itself.
I completely agree and I am on the same page regarding purchasing my 2019 Platinum HL for this kind of coin we could have bought just about anything.
Was seriously considering a 2018 Q7 2.0 (sweet truck) but went with the Platinum HL based on trust with the Toyota brand.

To tell you they are not aware of an issue with the head unit is either a lie or you communicated with someone not in the loop.
To be honest I am not holding my breath for a fix...
Yes all car makers have troubles but the service and resolution is what makes the difference Toyota is certainly dropping the ball here and falling short of my expectations as well.

The work around mentioned does work but we should not have to do that in a $48,000 new vehicle, as I mentioned earlier my 2013 Limited runs flawlessly including the Navigation and voice command,go figure.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Thank you!

Quick workaround from Toyota dealer after talking to Toyota: BEFORE attempting to start....hit start/stop button TWICE in succession, THEN and only then, depress brake pedal and start as usual....voice now works first time, every time after starting! Sounds crazy, but works!! My dealership has 2 other 2019 Highlanders with same issue, as do other dealerships. Toyota now aware of issue and no permanent fix yet, we'll see.

Thank you very much for the help! This seems to work! Have been to dealer in Covington 4 times now. They say the Navi vendor is working on a solution. But this is great in the meantime.

·
Registered
46 Posts
One of my only gripes about the navigation system is there is no easy way to turn off or adjust volume of the navigation voice. You have to leave the navigation system and go to a whole bunch of trouble, all while driving.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the workaround, was driving me nuts, and it is a major safety defect to have to keep looking at the map for guidance. Apparently you need to press the start button twice very quickly or it doesn’t take. I’ll be calling Toyota as well.

Does anyone know if you need to do this every time you plan to use the nav system?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have to do this EACH and EVERY time you plan on using voice activation for any function at all. Doesn't matter if its navigation, linked phone, radio commands, etc etc.....Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have to do this EACH and EVERY time you plan on using voice activation for any function at all. Doesn't matter if its navigation, linked phone, radio commands, etc etc.....Good luck
I'm not using voice activation for anything at all; it's just the voice guidance that I want to work "In half a mile, turn left"...

</ET>

·
Registered
3 Posts
Workaround has not worked for me... still having the same issue. Very frustrating.

Out of curosity, what company did you use as the aftermarket remote start?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Slitelytoasted,
Sorry to hear the workaround I was made aware of by my Toyota dealer has not worked for you. Several other people on this forum have had success with it, so don't know what to say. Another one that I found by myself, before going to the dealer that also works for me and some others, is this: Start the car as normal, shut it off and then restart. Voice activation should be there. Worth a try I guess until Toyota comes up with a fix.
Remote start: I used a company here in central Wisconsin that installs aftermarket remote starts and also heated seats. That probably won't help you, so here's the brand, model number etc. Compustar FMX Prime R3 by Firstech, model # RF-2WR3-FM, has 3000 ft range, 2-way LED confirmation, 1-yr warranty about $475 installed. Had it on my 2016 Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum also. works gr8, love it up here in the cold. Can probably Google it. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone know if there is a similar workaround for getting voice guidance to work in the hybrid Highlander? It doesn’t have the start/stop button. I just bought a 2019 limited platinum hybrid and am experiencing the same issues described-didn’t see a similar post in the hybrid forum.

Edit-I’m assuming the button referred to for the workaround is the Start/Stop override button to the left of the steering wheel on gasonline-only highlanders...if it is the start/stop button (ignition) to the right of the steering wheel then please disregard my earlier question

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone know if there is a similar workaround for getting voice guidance to work in the hybrid Highlander? It doesn’t have the start/stop button. I just bought a 2019 limited platinum hybrid and am experiencing the same issues described-didn’t see a similar post in the hybrid forum.

Edit-I’m assuming the button referred to for the workaround is the Start/Stop override button to the left of the steering wheel on gasonline-only highlanders...if it is the start/stop button (ignition) to the right of the steering wheel then please disregard my earlier question
They are referring to the ignition button.

·
Registered
30 Posts
BTW I called my dealer and their service department had never heard of the problem. Then again I doubt they have sold many 2019 Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum models (maybe not more than one). They did make a note in my file in case a TSB or recall comes out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We bought 2019 Highlander LP on December 23. Same issue with no gps voice guidance. The double tap on the start button does make voice guided navigation work and also playing of texts. I’m super disappointed that the car already has a work around issue. This is our first Toyota. Will Toyota fix this issue eventually?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue with the navigation system on my 2019 Highlander Limited Platinum. I take it to the dealer twice but the issue is the same. Toyota knows about it and they issued article for work around the issue which turn the switch to ACC WITHOUT pressing the brakes (some times you have to push twice) once the beep is heard you can press the brake and strat the engine then the voice will work. What kills me this expensive car and I don't see Toyota doing anything to fix it soon.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got my new 2019 highlander on 31st dec, Luckily I've not experienced the above problem. HL was manufactured on 12/18.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sad indeed....

that for what we paid for these otherwise fine vehicles, that there has to already be a workaround, with no apparent attempt by Toyota to rectify problem. At least the workaround allows the voice activation to be able to be used. Unlike an even bigger issue I have that you can find in this forum with the subject line of PAIRING PHONE? Pairing either of the 2 Tracfones I own, 1 an older LG and the other a brand new Alcatel, very shortly makes the whole 8" screen go blank, unusable. Audio/homescreen/apps buttons on L of screen totally inoperable, as is everything else. Unpairing phones returns to screen to full use. An entire whole new head unit has been installed, with same results. No known solution from Toyota so far on this issue either. Pretty frustrating to not be able to use a couple of the features that I paid for!

21 - 40 of 331 Posts
About this Discussion
330 Replies
76 Participants
etp7
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing