Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I heard from Toyoda that this is a software issue that they are working on and when solved there will be a software update either directly with the vehicle or it might require a trip to the dealer. The work around does work, I had an issue originally, after turning on the accessories (press ignition without foot on brake) I was starting the car too soon and the workaround failed. I needed to wait for the apps to start before starting the car (press ignition with foot on brake).

·
Registered
10 Posts
My problem is that if you research the timing Toyota may have known the units were defective and elected to sell the Highlanders without notifying potential customers. We would not have bought this one until issues like this was corrected. I asked the dealer if we could return the automobile within days of finding out the problem and timing and they said no as this wasn’t a mechanical or drivetrain problem.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum HL
75 Posts
Just purchased a 2019 Limited Platinum Trim December 2018 and the same thing with mine. I've read about the "push the start button twice, then push on the brake and start it and everything works great"...I called my dealership where I purchased it and of course...we've never heard of this happening...I'm not sure, but from what I've read, this Entune radio has been in their vehicles for a good while. So they tell me to make a appointment and they will try to do some updates...AND...its also rebooted 2 times after crossing a railroad track ( at a super slow speed )..One time the voices and sounds work, next time they dont...this would be a BIG ISSUE on a vacation trip !!!
I'll post at a later time what happens after they do the updates...from what I've read, the ONLY TRUE FIX is changing out the entire radio head unit....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I did the updates and a new radio unit and neither solved the sound issue. I was told that it is a communication issue between the expansion box (provides additional features such as navigation) and the radio unit.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum HL
75 Posts
I did the updates and a new radio unit and neither solved the sound issue. I was told that it is a communication issue between the expansion box (provides additional features such as navigation) and the radio unit.

So are you satisfied with what they tried or is there another solution ?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Harley rider,

I just purchased 2019 highlander XLE AWD with production date 12/18. So far I've not encountered the problem. So I believe a fix should be available in near future. Call toyota and express your thoughts, I believe if enough people would complain, they will try to push the update faster...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yep, replacing the head unit of radio did NOT solve the voice activation issue, kept my fingers crossed that it would. Had the head unit replaced due to a different issue that you can find under "Pairing phone?" on this forum. Tried to pair older LG Tracfone to my 2019 Highlander, as it paired successfully on previous 2016 Highlander Hybrid & 2012 Rav4. Doing so totally messed up everything else on screen, totally inoperable. Unpaired, and everything on screen worked again. Bought a brand new Alcatel Tracfone thinking that would solve the problem. Eau contrare, same problem. Toyota dealer trying to come up with a fix through Toyota. Maybe Tracfones can't pair at all with 2019? Very dissappointing, as previous older Tracfone worked very well with 2016 & 2012. aaarrgg!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Of course I am not satisfied. I brought the car to the dealership 3 times before I had 100 miles clock on the car for this issue and started a file to document the actions taken. I believe the dealership tried their best to resolve the issue but could not since it is a manufacturing issue. I then escalated to regional Toyoda who told me to go directly to the national team which I did. I called, they assigned me a case number (which I received by email within a hour of the initial call) and said a case worker would be calling me back in 24 hours. A case worker did call within 24 hours and as I stated in an earlier post, I was told that they were aware of the problem and their engineers are working on a software fix that will either be uploaded directly to the car or I will have to go into the dealership for the update. I will say that they were very profession I have a case number and plan on calling every couple of weeks on the status and I have documented all of the actions I have taken in case of additional legal action is required. The work around they offered is simple and effective and just requires me to push an addition button. All I do is turn on the accessories by pushing the ignition button without depressing the brake petal, wait until the apps are running, and then start the car, everything works fine after that. I am not happy with this problem but from my perspective they are trying to address the problem and if they don't I am in a position to take legal recourse. I hope you and others with this problem have raised this issue to national team since the more that do will apply more pressure for a fix.

·
Registered
2019 Platinum HL
75 Posts
Of course I am not satisfied. I brought the car to the dealership 3 times before I had 100 miles clock on the car for this issue and started a file to document the actions taken. I believe the dealership tried their best to resolve the issue but could not since it is a manufacturing issue. I then escalated to regional Toyoda who told me to go directly to the national team which I did. I called, they assigned me a case number (which I received by email within a hour of the initial call) and said a case worker would be calling me back in 24 hours. A case worker did call within 24 hours and as I stated in an earlier post, I was told that they were aware of the problem and their engineers are working on a software fix that will either be uploaded directly to the car or I will have to go into the dealership for the update. I will say that they were very profession I have a case number and plan on calling every couple of weeks on the status and I have documented all of the actions I have taken in case of additional legal action is required. The work around they offered is simple and effective and just requires me to push an addition button. All I do is turn on the accessories by pushing the ignition button without depressing the brake petal, wait until the apps are running, and then start the car, everything works fine after that. I am not happy with this problem but from my perspective they are trying to address the problem and if they don't I am in a position to take legal recourse. I hope you and others with this problem have raised this issue to national team since the more that do will apply more pressure for a fix.
Fantastic information and you are so right, if all the owners that also are experiencing this would call as well expressing their displeasure, perhaps that could light a fire under their engineers for a fix. There's nothing worst for a company than to have negative information on social media about issues with their vehicles like all of us have, especially on such a expensive one like the Highlander.Anything that could have a adverse effect on them selling units and losing profits is what makes changes AND this ENTUNE Unit has been in their vehicles for some time now. It bothers me that in my case, the service dept at my dealership tells me that they have NEVER heard of this issue before. I had a appointment to get my 2019 Platinum in today, but cancelled the appointment because from what I'm reading on these threads, it's a total waste of time and they told me I'd have to wait 2 hours on them to do it.
What I would like to ask you is...could you PLEASE post the contact numbers you called to get a case worker/case number? That's mine (AND I HOPE OTHERS) best option I believe.
Thank you again eeh0615 for this VALUABLE Information ! ( looking forward to those contact phone numbers )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is the contact information I pulled from the email that they sent me:

If you have any further questions, please contact us at 800-331-4331. Our hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT Saturday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I now feel more than ever that Toyota knew there was an issue before most of us purchased the 2019 Highlander Limited. I told the case manager that Toyota should have and should be informing potential customers of this issue so that buyers are not blind-sighted and have to call, research and spend their time with wasted efforts. So far it seems most dealers are merely saying "this is the first we've heard of the issue."
Hopefully everything will work out for the best as solutions and how situations are handled can make or break relationships regarding future purchases. I also agree that the case manager assigned to our case was efficient, courteous and has called us back several times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same problem, the 2x start/stop button works!

I have a brand new 2019 Platinum (650 miles) with an “Order Date of 9/2018 and I have the same problem.

It’s all of the voice features not just navigation. If I hit the “talk” button on the steering wheel it remains silent.

The 2x stop/stop button does seem to solve the problem. If I turn it off and start it up right away the solution holds. Still experimenting to see what else might solve the issue – that is until Toyota emails us all with a solution. So I have some time…

·
Registered
26 Posts
Harley rider,

I just purchased 2019 highlander XLE AWD with production date 12/18. So far I've not encountered the problem. So I believe a fix should be available in near future. Call toyota and express your thoughts, I believe if enough people would complain, they will try to push the update faster...
This issue would not apply to your HL (lucky you) only Limited Platinum models have the 3.0 head unit affected by this massive failure.
The HL Platinum also has the new safety connect feature which I suspect is possibly part of the problem.
I am starting to believe we 2019 limited platinum owners are crash test dummies as the 3.0 head units are going to rollout across the entire line beginning in 2020 ( Avalon,Camry and Prius also have it)but those are ground up new new designs that intended to have the 3.0 system included from inception.
They put the 3.0 into an older wiring / processing architecture(3rd gen HL) and it is not syncing correctly.

As I stated earlier I’m not holding my breath for a fix.
I have a 2013 limited that runs flawlessly including the voice command which functions much better then my 2019 Platinum,it just works.
In hindsight wish I’d bought an XLE would have saved some coin and rump-ache.

·
Registered
Highlander
7 Posts
Toyota is aware of this problem... There is a Toyota Tech Tip dated Dec. 18, 2018 out.. The Tech Tip # is: T-TT-0517-18. The problem applies to the 2019 Platinum's. I have a copy of the Tech Tip but I don't know how to post it?

Hope this helps.

41 - 60 of 339 Posts