Toyota Nation Forum banner

61 - 80 of 330 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Update

I now feel more than ever that Toyota knew there was an issue before most of us purchased the 2019 Highlander Limited. I told the case manager that Toyota should have and should be informing potential customers of this issue so that buyers are not blind-sighted and have to call, research and spend their time with wasted efforts. So far it seems most dealers are merely saying "this is the first we've heard of the issue."
Hopefully everything will work out for the best as solutions and how situations are handled can make or break relationships regarding future purchases. I also agree that the case manager assigned to our case was efficient, courteous and has called us back several times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Was called again by Toyota customer service recently and advised they had no solution at this time. Will call back in another week. So here is the situation from my perspective. We purchased an almost 50,000.00 dollar vehicle that when purchased was unaware of the issues with the head unit and software. I feel that Toyota knew this when they sold the vehicles in November and December. I think this situation has been handled wrong and if I could, would return the vehicle and get my money back. Perhaps my perception will change in the coming days but it depends on how Toyota addresses the matter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree with you in that customer service has called me back two weeks in a row and was very courteous. Hopefully solutions will arise in the near future.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here is the contact information I pulled from the email that they sent me:

If you have any further questions, please contact us at 800-331-4331. Our hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT Saturday.
Well, I just made my phone call to Toyota as well regarding this issue we are experiencing with the 2019 Platinums. After a 10 minute wait, the lady that answered the call was very nice, put me on hold for a short moment and got back with me saying someone would reach out to me on Monday. I was issued a case number as well, so at this point I hope this starts the process to get this fixed at some point.
Thanks again to eeh0615 for putting this contact number out for us and I STRONGLY URGE EVERYONE that is having this issue to PLEASE call this number as well. The more complaints they receive can only help us all to them finding a quick solution to fixing this problem.
My Platinum has a build date of 11/2018 and currently 1200 miles on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Toyota is aware of this problem... There is a Toyota Tech Tip dated Dec. 18, 2018 out.. The Tech Tip # is: T-TT-0517-18. The problem applies to the 2019 Platinum's. I have a copy of the Tech Tip but I don't know how to post it?

Hope this helps.
You should be able to attach a pdf, I see a "Drag files here to attach!" option right below as I'm replying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm an old fart and can't figure how to attach this file. It says the file is to large.

I agree with Harleyrider421, call Toyota and get a case number!!!! It's an important first step!! I did....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, I just made my phone call to Toyota as well regarding this issue we are experiencing with the 2019 Platinums. After a 10 minute wait, the lady that answered the call was very nice, put me on hold for a short moment and got back with me saying someone would reach out to me on Monday. I was issued a case number as well, so at this point I hope this starts the process to get this fixed at some point.
Thanks again to eeh0615 for putting this contact number out for us and I STRONGLY URGE EVERYONE that is having this issue to PLEASE call this number as well. The more complaints they receive can only help us all to them finding a quick solution to fixing this problem.
My Platinum has a build date of 11/2018 and currently 1200 miles on it.
Just a quick update to my last post. I received a call from a Toyota rep today to discuss my case number. He explained that they are aware of the issue we are having with intermittent loss of sound and voice on the Entune system. He said that it is a issue with the Platinum trim and their engineers are working on a permanent fix for this. He did tell me about the push the start/stop button, let everything load up THEN push the brake and start button to get around it not working correct.
They understand that is NOT a permanent solution. They guy seemed understanding and told me he would do a follow up phone call EACH week to give me updates on what they doing. He did say at this point they do not have a ETA on an actual fix for it.
I also told him I was a member of Toyota Nation forum and he said to let everyone know that if you are having this problem as well....CALL THEM and get a Case number....power in numbers as they say...let's keep our fingers crossed on a quick fix !

please contact them at 800-331-4331. Their hours of operation are 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CT Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. CT Saturday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve had the same “silent” GPS issue since purchasing my Limited Platinum in mid-November. In addition, a few weeks ago the entire Entune system froze and I was unable to navigate between various screens and couldn’t turn the radio off. It also kept dialing my son’s phone every few minutes on its own, and I was unable to disconnect the calls. I drove directly to the dealer and, fortunately, it was still frozen for them to see and they unpaired my phone. They ordered and installed a new head unit, but the GPS is still silent on the new one unless I do the above mentioned workaround. The dealership then consulted with the regional rep, who acknowledged the issue and said a meeting has been scheduled for next week regarding this specific matter. Let’s hope we get some clear answers and an acceptable remedy soon after that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I called Toyota and got a case number. My dealer said to bring it in and I showed them and gave them the Tech Tip number but they did not have access. They found a software update 1019D but that did not fix it but I have a file and am on record reporting the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I want to extend a thank you to everyone that has contributed to this forum and provided the useful information! I have a 2015 Toyota so I am familiar with the Entune system and how it should behave. I noticed when test driving the Highlander Limited Platinum with my wife that the voice prompts didn't come through like mine, but I didn't think much of it. When we were driving home from the dealer (purchased today) I noticed I couldn't get the voice prompts to work for the navigation. After trying every setting possible I hit up Google and found this thread which pointed me directly to the problem. I can confirm that my 2019 Highlander Limited Platinum exhibits this behavior mentioned throughout the thread. Voice prompts via navigation, voice actions, and the in car speaker system do not work. I used the work-around provided earlier and that provides the temporary fix, but restarting the car without the work-around brings back the issue.

I plan to take the car by the dealer tomorrow to show them the issue. I might also follow the actions of others and log a call with Toyota corporate, however since I literally brought the car home a few hours ago they may not have me in their systems!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’ve had the same “silent” GPS issue since purchasing my Limited Platinum in mid-November. In addition, a few weeks ago the entire Entune system froze and I was unable to navigate between various screens and couldn’t turn the radio off. It also kept dialing my son’s phone every few minutes on its own, and I was unable to disconnect the calls. I drove directly to the dealer and, fortunately, it was still frozen for them to see and they unpaired my phone. They ordered and installed a new head unit, but the GPS is still silent on the new one unless I do the above mentioned workaround. The dealership then consulted with the regional rep, who acknowledged the issue and said a meeting has been scheduled for next week regarding this specific matter. Let’s hope we get some clear answers and an acceptable remedy soon after that.
I'm reading this over and over...you would think that the dealerships would have some kind of communication with Toyota over this issue, but owners are taking their vehicles in and service departments are replacing the Entune head units ONLY to find it's a complete waste of time and it still does the same thing. I had a appointment to have mine replaced, but chose to cancel the appointment based on others results.
My Toyota rep told me this seems to be a issue with the "Safety Connect" feature on the Platinum trim. There's some kind of gliche that causes the "works one time, next time it doesn't" scenario. So until I get a thumbs up on a 100% fix from their engineers, I guess I have no choice but to deal with it. Being its winter, I'm not traveling that much, come spring and still no fix, my thought pattern is going to change and I'm not going to be as friendly. Lol.
I still strongly suggest that people continue to call and get a case number. I'm sure that every Toyota Dealership out there is continuing to sell every Highlander (Platinum Trim) sitting on their lots to unexpecting customers who like us will soon find out their brand new $50,000 Highlander isn't 100 % as perfect as it should be. Again, PLEASE, PLEASE take a minute and call the 800 number found on this Thread.

·
Registered
72 Posts
(I might also follow the actions of others and log a call with Toyota corporate, however since I literally brought the car home a few hours ago they may not have me in their systems![/QUOTE])

PLEASE make the call, I'm sure you will be in the "system". They will find you simply by using your vehicles VIN #.
Calling them will put you in touch with a rep that will document the issue and they will then contact you daily, weekly, monthly...whatever YOU want with updates on a fix for this..its well worth the time on the phone and again...power in numbers...the more of us that make the call....it can only help ALL of us.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I logged a case using the number provided earlier in the thread. The first person to answer the call went away for a few minutes but returned and knew of the issue and the tech tip just from my brief description. My sales rep also let us know he had looked into it and that the service folks had found it and were waiting on a fix. So the issue is certainly known, now lets hope they can come up with a quick fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my 2019 Highlander Hybrid Limited Platinum at the end of November. And yes, I have this "no sound/no sound prompts/no navigation voice" issue as well. This has been a problem from the get go since I bought it. The quick fix mentioned in this thread does work for me. However, I always forget to do the "start/stop twice-start/stop with brake" quick fix every single time I start the car. I was driving on the freeway and needed the voice nav and what a nuisance it was to not have the sound. I paid a premium for the top of the line Highlander hybrid. I expect the features I paid for to work.

Also, last week, my rain sensor (there is one on each side of the rearview mirror) fell off and is now dangling. The left rain sensor is dangling and detached from the windshield. I brought it in today to my local Toyota dealer/service center to have them fix it. Can you believe that the fix for this is replacing my entire windshield? They say that it requires a special glue for the rain sensor and my windshield must be replaced. So I'm surprised by that.

Also, is anyone having any issues with their radio sound? Does your radio sound a bit muffled and lacking clarity? I'm enjoying the free satellite radio trial right now, and the sound for satellite radio is far clearer and louder. When I switch to regular radio stations, I actually need to turn the volume up to hear the regular radio stations. The regular radio station sound is lower, starts out a bit muffled and not clear, then becomes clearer and better about 5 seconds later. Wondering if I am the only one experiencing this.

But getting back to the nav sound issue--it's a nuisance. We shouldn't have to deal with this with a brand new car, not to mention the most expensive version of the model.

I called Toyota and got a case number for the no sound/no nav voice issue. Waiting to hear back from my assigned case manager "within one business day." Oh, and as Murphy's Law would have it, the "no sound/no nav voice issue" was NOT an issue the exact moment I brought it in to the Toyota service center today (for the dangling rain sensor issue). I told them about the "no sound/no nav voice issue" and said "I swear, it normally does NOT work when I turn on the car." Of course it worked the moment I brought the car in for service. Sigh.

·
Registered
72 Posts
But getting back to the nav sound issue--it's a nuisance. We shouldn't have to deal with this with a brand new car, not to mention the most expensive version of the model.
Wow, I cannot believe that happened to the rain sensor and now you have to deal with getting the windshield replaced.

I'm going to try the radio for the issue you are having to see if mine is the same way. Honestly, since I've also been enjoying our free trial of the Sirius radio, I've not even attempted to listen to the regular radio...but I definitely need to check mine now.

Hate that the service dept failed to see first hand that the issue wasn't silent when they checked it.
I can turn mine on and if it's working, just turn the Highlander off and restart it again and it will be silent again...its a hit and miss each time I start it.

I also got the you will get a call back within one business day and they actual did call me in that time frame, so hoping u get the same response.

And like you said, We shouldn't have to deal with this on a top of the line trim, but I understand each added feature always can create a problem, just hard to understand why someone never sort of noticed or said anything prior to me signing on the old dotted line about it...My Toyota rep told me it's a glitch with the Safety Connect. (They think)
I assume the previous 2017 to 2018
3rd generation Highlanders did not have the Safety Connect in those vehicles??
Also someone had commented about the 2019 Highlanders having the 3.0 Entune head units...( Not sure if that is correct? I thought they were still the 2.5 versions )

At any rate a BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE AND TO THE FUTURE OWNERS WHO WILL MAKE THESE CALLS ! Please continue to make them...power in numbers as they say and the more they hear about just how massive this issue is , it will hopefully light a fire under their engineers tails for a quick fix on this issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A Toyota Case Manager called me back within the promised 24 hour call back time frame (early, in fact). The rep was very nice, professional and cordial. She didn't dismiss my concerns at all. She had, in fact, contacted my local Toyota service center (where I brought my car in yesterday for the dangling rain sensor) and followed up with them as well. So all in all, Toyota customer service has been prompt and thorough so far. She said she would further look into the matter and get back to me. I am pleased with the professionalism of the Case Manager. Now, let's hope for some resolution in the near future!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I find it very interesting that some people are getting calls back from the Toyota Case Managers. I called three weeks ago and got my case number and have not hear a word back from Toyota since.
Im guessing they must have got your call back number wrong?
I would definitely be calling them back because they usually are excellent about calling back within 24 hours. I originally called on a Friday and they called me back the next business day which was a Monday....again, please call them again and find out what's going on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Also, is anyone having any issues with their radio sound? Does your radio sound a bit muffled and lacking clarity? I'm enjoying the free satellite radio trial right now, and the sound for satellite radio is far clearer and louder. When I switch to regular radio stations, I actually need to turn the volume up to hear the regular radio stations. The regular radio station sound is lower, starts out a bit muffled and not clear, then becomes clearer and better about 5 seconds later. Wondering if I am the only one experiencing this. Sigh.
I checked my radio system and the sound levels on mine are exactly equal regardless of playing regular FM Stations or Sirius Radio Channels, so I'm not really sure what's going on with yours, but I'd say that's a additional problem?

61 - 80 of 330 Posts
About this Discussion
329 Replies
76 Participants
Harleyrider421
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing