Toyota Nation Forum banner

121 - 140 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finger's Crossed

I have owned a 2019 Highlander Hybrid Platinum since November 1, 2018 and had the voice guidance and voice prompt issue since day one. I discovered the workaround myself by accident on day two while I was trying to figure out what was going on. At the 5000 mile service the dealer was perplexed and could not fix. I, too, considered the workaround unacceptable but had to live with it.

Just had my 10K service today (yes we’re piling on the miles: AAA hockey-playing grandson). I was told the voice problem is now a known issue and a software update was performed by the dealer. The problem appears to be resolved. I am not sure if this is a dealer-only software update or one available through the Setup screen - I forgot to ask.

I hope the fix sticks!

I have texted my service department to ask if it is a dealership fix or a download...hoping for a download.

Thanks for the info!
:crossfingers:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Definitely not my experience today when I brought my 19 Highlander Platinum in!

Left with no fix and lies. The sales manager told me that the service department said there was no issue. I then drove the car with the sales manager in it and showed him how the voice guidance on navigation and easy speaker were not working.

I am extremely worried this is not being handled properly. I then called corporate to follow up on my case... and I re-explained the issue (even though it should be documented because I am following up on a case #) and they go, “So you’re upset about a loaner?”

What?!? Where did that come from? The. The corporate person proceeds to play dumb... puts me on hold... and then all of a sudden has the work around (push 2x) etc.

I asked, I thought you didn’t know about this issue yet your able to find a work around?

Something smells so very fishy here.

The case manager will call me tomorrow.

Question: with the 2x button start does that make the EasySpeak work?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just called my service department and told me they still don't have an update. When did you get this and where are you located? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just called my service department and told me they still don't have an update. When did you get this and where are you located? Thanks
Just today.
In Pittsburgh. Spitzer Toyota.

To quote the service advisor at Spitzer: "Every issue that you mentioned has been addressed with this update. It will be fixed." (My complaint list had included the lack of voice guidance, voice prompts, text reading and audible feedback, i.e. beeps, with touchscreen activity.)

Voice guidance and prompts are now working, tested on two separate trips today. Beeps are back too, for whatever that's worth. Haven't tested the text reading yet. As for the EasySpeak that Woods4 had mentioned, I've never used it so I can't say if it is back, or if it was ever even gone (although I'd assume it was).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just today.
In Pittsburgh. Spitzer Toyota.

To quote the service advisor at Spitzer: "Every issue that you mentioned has been addressed with this update. It will be fixed." (My complaint list had included the lack of voice guidance, voice prompts, text reading and audible feedback, i.e. beeps, with touchscreen activity.)

Voice guidance and prompts are now working, tested on two separate trips today. Beeps are back too, for whatever that's worth. Haven't tested the text reading yet. As for the EasySpeak that Woods4 had mentioned, I've never used it so I can't say if it is back, or if it was ever even gone (although I'd assume it was).
So what does your software version report? I have 1019D and still have the issue. Note that you have to leave the vehicle off for some time before it comes back after using the ACC and wait for bootup workaround. I called Toyota support an hour ago and they are not aware of a fix...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Toyota corporate said you have to let the vehicle sit for 10 mins before trying.

I’ll make sure to post again tomorrow after I speak with my case manager.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same software version

So what does your software version report? I have 1019D and still have the issue. Note that you have to leave the vehicle off for some time before it comes back after using the ACC and wait for bootup workaround. I called Toyota support an hour ago and they are not aware of a fix...
I have the same version now, 01019D, with 2/19/19 as the date it was applied. It is obviously what was done today at the dealership. I am well aware that it can take some time before the issue rears its head again after using the workaround and it is the very reason I ended my original post with the line: "I hope the fix sticks!". But I purposely did not perform the workaround today in "preparation" for today's service and I was able to demonstrate the issue for them before they started work.

Curious that your problem continues with you having the same software. However, I am still encouraged. I have never had the workaround last longer than the next restart. But after more than 24 hours since last using the workaround and having now stopped/started the car three times since the update, the last start being 6-7 hours after the previous, I still have no sign of the problem returning.

We'll see what happens overnight and I will report again tomorrow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All, we are dealing with the same issue on our 2019 HL Ltd Platinum. The workaround works sometimes but is a PITA especially for a car we spent $45k on!! I’ve made multiple calls to our dealership and Toyota Corporate and just get the runaround. The last interaction we had they suggested we look into our states lemon laws. I will say I finally got someone from Toyota Corporate to acknowledge there is a known issue. At least they’re admitting it now.

To the poster who mentioned their dealership, Spitzer, in Pittsburgh: I actually called that dealership to see what they did to fix your car and they had no idea what I was talking about? Do you have a name of someone there so I can ask them? I’d like my dealership here in Charlotte, NC to talk to them to see if they have a fix they just don’t know about.

This is extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It pains me to have to admit to foolish haste but, I am guilty! Sadly, I am back to square one this morning - the "fix" did not stick overnight. Despite an entire day free of the workaround, I should have waited at least 24 hours before posting a premature success story.

To those of you who's time I have wasted, please accept my sincere apology.

So for now, more calls to my dealer and emails to Toyota - and more of the workaround.

I just don't get it, though. What does the overnight sit have to do with it? Is it the date? It's as though the interventions are going into some form volatile memory just waiting to be wiped out. Shouldn't a major software update go into firmware and be permanent? Is it a software conflict? It should be obvious that I certainly don't have the answer but I would hope and expect that Toyota begins to take this one seriously.

·
Registered
6 Posts
To the poster who mentioned their dealership, Spitzer, in Pittsburgh: I actually called that dealership to see what they did to fix your car and they had no idea what I was talking about? Do you have a name of someone there so I can ask them? I’d like my dealership here in Charlotte, NC to talk to them to see if they have a fix they just don’t know about.

This is extremely frustrating.
I just spoke with the service advisor who handled my visit to Spitzer yesterday (I'm going to withhold his name for now). He told me that they did verify the voice guidance problem in the shop, on their own, and documented it. They then downloaded a software update directly from Toyota onto their computers and installed the update through their diagnostic equipment. In response to my question as to the nature of the software update he said that it was a different download than would be available to us through our Setup screens.

I asked him to please report this issue to Toyota and he promised that it would be done immediately and to expect a call from corporate in a day or so. I will report back if I have anything useful or satisfying to report once they contact me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Update from Care Manager Today: After I called corporate to get a case #, then had vehicle seen to diagnose there is a problem... I heard back from the case manager.

She told me this is a known issue (too bad when I say that to Toyota corporate folks or field folks they look at me like I’m crazy)

She said “there is no know fix, they have engineers working on it, and there is no timeframe for when there will be a fix” <— 2/20/2019

I asked what accommodations if any there are. She said Toyota is offering none at this time.

I explained how this is unacceptable that the vehicle should function as advertised and how the manual says it should. Which is what we paired for. Also I explained how important it is and illegal for my use of a cellphone in the car. The lack of voice reading of texts is unacceptable.

It is NOT what I paided for.

Toyota agrees there is an issue, and has no timetable for a fix. Doesn’t seem fair or reasonable with offering no accommodations when it was promoted and we paid for such.

They asked if I wanted them to apply for the Lemon Law and or refund for the vehicle I said yes.

No sure where this will land me.

I want to again thank all the people in this forum for your previous insight and direction on this issues. I was able to be as educated as possible when discussing the problem we are experiencing. ToyotaNation does hold value!

Also, because no one can relate... I am awfully SAD about this purchase. I wanted to be excited, a brand new vehicle, one I picked out, my prize for my hardwork.

Unfortunately I am now a customer no one wants to deal with. My vehicle is a problem, and now I am a problem. The dealership isn’t helpful and I don’t find Toyota Corporate that helpful either. Everyone is kicking the can (me) down the road.

Nothing like spending $45,000 and having this experience 😞

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Woods4...Lemon laws vary state to state, so no idea if that applies to your issue? What seems more realistic is a "buy back" u were told about. Bummer for sure & not fun stuff to deal with. Good luck on what ever u decide. :dunno:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just an update, which is no update at all. As noted before, the Toyota case manager was very courteous and punctual—she always called back and followed up when she said she would. But the reality is that she has no updates, news, fixes, or anything to share. She did advise me that I am welcome to use my state lemon law. So basically, there is no solution at this time. Not to mention, my radio quality issues (sound quality and clarity of non satellite radio is horrible) and the rain sensor that fell off my Limited Platinum (resulting in replacement of entire windshield). That rain sensor issue alone was a nuisance where I had to shuttle to Hertz to get a rental car for a few days. All this is hassle. Hassle resulting from issues with a brand new car I have had since Thanksgiving. Meanwhile, I assume all the Toyota dealers are happily selling their 2019 Limited Platinums to unsuspecting customers. Customers will be less than thrilled to realize that their nav/voice doesn’t work after they drive it off the lot. The nav/voice isn’t even something I normally look at or test when doing a quick test drive. And the test drive was certainly not in a Limited Platinum. So I wouldn’t have been able to even know of the problem during a test drive. So, in a nutshell, no solution and no good news to share. I know this sounds extreme, but I’m so displeased with my car that I’m ready to switch to a new version of my trusty, prior vehicle (Lexus GX 460). I miss that car, just not the terrible gas mileage. I’m seriously considering going that route and may do so. Not pleased with the hit I will take on depreciation of a three month old car. :frown:

·
Registered
10 Posts
My personal opinion...

Just an update, which is no update at all. As noted before, the Toyota case manager was very courteous and punctual—she always called back and followed up when she said she would. But the reality is that she has no updates, news, fixes, or anything to share. She did advise me that I am welcome to use my state lemon law. So basically, there is no solution at this time. Not to mention, my radio quality issues (sound quality and clarity of non satellite radio is horrible) and the rain sensor that fell off my Limited Platinum (resulting in replacement of entire windshield). That rain sensor issue alone was a nuisance where I had to shuttle to Hertz to get a rental car for a few days. All this is hassle. Hassle resulting from issues with a brand new car I have had since Thanksgiving. Meanwhile, I assume all the Toyota dealers are happily selling their 2019 Limited Platinums to unsuspecting customers. Customers will be less than thrilled to realize that their nav/voice doesn’t work after they drive it off the lot. The nav/voice isn’t even something I normally look at or test when doing a quick test drive. And the test drive was certainly not in a Limited Platinum. So I wouldn’t have been able to even know of the problem during a test drive. So, in a nutshell, no solution and no good news to share. I know this sounds extreme, but I’m so displeased with my car that I’m ready to switch to a new version of my trusty, prior vehicle (Lexus GX 460). I miss that car, just not the terrible gas mileage. I’m seriously considering going that route and may do so. Not pleased with the hit I will take on depreciation of a three month old car. :frown:
Perhaps it's time to take this situation to all of the news outlets and consumer groups. Obviously Toyota management doesn't care about us as individual customers as the story is contained at present. I share the frustration and feel the way this has been handled is appalling and almost arrogant. This has become more than an engineering or software problem but rather reflects philosophy of a critical management level group that clearly has distain for the customer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Fyi, we have a hearing on march 11 with an arbitrator to address the situation. This is through NCDS as we are going through the oregon lemon law. Just so fed up with the I don't know anything attitude we've been dealing with. Will let everyone know what comes of it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mike any chance you can comment on what you did up to this point?

Reason I ask, is because I had corporate Toyota submit for buy back (lemon law?)

I understood the Massachusetts lemon law suggested 3-4 attempts at a repair.... however the Toyota Corp person said “there is nothing to repair” so bringing it back to the dealership (which I have done 1 time already) isn’t worth it.

Guess what I am asking... what proper steps should be taking if you know to protect myself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder what is so special in the 2019 Limited Platinum trim that the Entune has this issue?

And after all these years, no one has ever jailbreak the Entune SW?
Been wondering that, too. Off the top of my head the only thing different I can think of that involves the multimedia system is the panoramic camera system. It's tough to imagine that could be the culprit.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Been wondering that, too. Off the top of my head the only thing different I can think of that involves the multimedia system is the panoramic camera system. It's tough to imagine that could be the culprit.
Also, I think 2018 has no such problem, so why 2019? Can the 2018 software work on 2019? ... Just thinking out loud...

Anyways I have 2017 XLE... Hardly used the Entune navigation... Only cell phone. But I can see how sometimes when you get no data reception you want to use the Entune navigation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Woods, there is I book in your auto portfolio entitled owner warranty rights notification. In the back there is a claim form to fill out and send in. Here is the number for NCDS.(natonal center for Dispute Settlement. 888 300-6237. I recommend you call them. All of there responses will probably be by email.

121 - 140 of 338 Posts