Toyota Nation Forum banner

2019 Highlander voice in guidance or navigation

138K views 350 replies 86 participants last post by  Penzfan 
#1 ·
I have a 2019 Highlander that there is no audio from voice guidance ( after pressing the button ) or voice from navigation ( no turn by turn direction going to destination )
Current guidance from dealer service is to avoid pairing phone ( Android with version 9 ) for 2 weeks then when I do pair the phone do not share contacts or messages.

Anyone have this experience ?

#192 ·
I do agree, Toyota is not taking this serious enough. Yes we understand parts break, vehicles need repair but the issue here is that Toyota knowingly sold defective vehicles without disclosing this to the customer. Some customers have been waiting 6 months, I have only been frustrated for a little over a month, never the less, Toyota's blatant disregard for their higher end customers is shameful.
Yes they should be offering some compensation for their deception.

#197 ·
I purchased a Toyota Limited Platinum on March 27th and have experienced the navigation audio issues as described repeatedly in these posts on this subject. I can't thank everyone enough for provided input that helped me avoid going to the dealer and wasting my time. The work around of pushing the star/stop button prior to starting solves the problem with my Highlander. I have contacted Toyota corporate as recommended by a number of you and was treated courteously as well as given a case number with promised 24 hour followup. Hopefully, they will advise me of the fix in the near future.
This is my 3rd Toyota and I have found them to be quality products. However, I too am concerned about Toyota's lack of integrity in this matter. Corporate should have advised the dealers of this issue months ago and in turn the dealer should have told customers interested in this specific model of the issue. Toyota taking the attitude that this issue is a one off or an obscure anomaly is an insult to the car buying public.
This is my first time using the forum and I have found it to be invaluable.

#198 ·
What the what? No voice to the SatNav?

Ok, I am in the buying process of a 2019 Toyota Highlander SE with Nightshade (FWD).

Is this an issue on the 2019 Highlander Sport Edition, that I will likely loose turn-by-turn voice directions?

(Also, any other general advice or insight on issues with this model, e.g. why I should not buy, would be great. If not Highlander, I'm leaning Hyundai Santa Fe XL or maybe Kia Sorento.)

#200 · (Edited)
Ok, I am in the buying process of a 2019 Toyota Highlander SE with Nightshade (FWD).

Is this an issue on the 2019 Highlander Sport Edition, that I will likely loose turn-by-turn voice directions?

(Also, any other general advice or insight on issues with this model, e.g. why I should not buy, would be great. If not Highlander, I'm leaning Hyundai Santa Fe XL or maybe Kia Sorento.)
The issue with the voice / feedback sounds is a exclusive problem ONLY on the 2019 Limited Platinum Trim...this will not effect your SE Trim, so that is the good news.
I'm a Platinum trim owner since this past December, so I personally cannot offer you any advice on the SE trim model.
Other than this current issue with the lack of sounds and voice my wife and I truly enjoy everything about the Highlander. Once this problem is fixed then its going to be perfect.
Like you, we considered the other models you mentioned, but after all the test drives, watching all kinds of model reviews on Youtube, for us the Highlander won hands down.

I do recommend this YouTube video that explains most of the differences in the trim models...I think the guy does a good job explaining them all...
NOTE.....( 2018 Models, but virtually the same as the 2019's )

Also I've attached a copy of the work around we are having to do to make everything work on the Platinum trims...if you read it, you will see that this is a exclusive 2019 Platinum trim issue. Good luck on whatever you decide to go with ! :my2cents:

Attachments

#202 ·
Harleyrider421
I handed the agent my car and the reprint of the service bulletin and was surprised when she said "yes, we are familiar with the problem and there is not currently a fix." They still took my car and examined it for almost an hour which surprised me. In the end the agent, very nice and professional young woman, told me I had a case number and "stand by" - my words. In this day of vast electronic suites I am not really surprised that something didn't go as planned. I am surprised that neither Toyota nor the radio supplier, JBL, has come up with a fix however. It could be worse - look at the new Honda CRV with the new engine that is mixing gas in the oil pan. The fix for that so far? A free oil change!

I'll wait patiently and see what happens. It H A S to be better than my BMW X5 diesel. What a nightmare!

#203 ·
I received my weekly update from my Toyota Care Rep ( Henry ) today and he told me that the Repairs for our vehicles will be based on them getting the new parts ( availability date unknown) and the repair parts will be sent to the dealerships according to Vin #'s....so if you haven't had your Highlander to the dealership to be "DOCUMENTED"..i suggest you do so asap to get in what will probably be a very long line. At least we are now getting great feedback from those that have already had their Amps replaced that they indeed do work.

#204 ·
I guess I haven't pushed enough on the dealer/Toyota to get the same level of attention as some of you. I did open a case with Toyota back at the beginning of Feb. but I've never received any updates from them. I called in this AM due to seeing some of the recent posts on here and they let me know that there is no official fix yet and they would inform me via a "program" or "recall" when there is one.

#205 ·
I'm sorry that you have evidently had a bad rep you have been dealing with. I suggest you give a call to "my" rep. He has contacted me weekly with updates. If you have read the previous posts you will see that there IS a Fix for this issue and those that have had their vehicles amps replaced are reporting great news that it appears to be working for them.
My rep told me that they will be making the needed parts and distributing them out based on the vehicles VIN #'s. So if you've not taken your Highlander to the service dept. to have the issue DOCUMENTED into the system, I suggest you do so. My service manager told me that would speed up the repair process. I'm sure the number of Platinum grade Highlanders with this problem that have been sold already is hugh and growing daily, so a time frame for us remains unknown.
Here's the info...
Phone # 800-331-4331
Select option 3
Extension # 73831
Ask for Henry A.
If he's not available, have them have him call you back. Tell him you want him to take over your case #. He will contact you weekly, every 2 weeks, whatever you want.
Good Luck !
:my2cents:

#207 · (Edited)
I received a call from Henry early this afternoon.

He confirms that a "fix" is available and as others have mentioned, will be distributed to dealerships based on VIN. When I asked about a timeline, he couldn't give one but is optimistic that it'll be sooner rather than later.

But who knows how long that'll be? Weeks or months?

#208 ·
I received a call from Henry early this afternoon.

He confirms that a "fix" is available and as other have mentioned, will be distributed to dealerships based on VIN. When I asked about a timeline, he couldn't give one but is optimistic that it'll be sooner rather than later.

But who knows how long that'll be? Weeks or months?
Was the "fix" hardware or software? Someone mentioned that the dealer replaced their JBL amp, but that almost sounds unlikely as the root cause of this, unless it's a CAN bus connection issue with that device that can't be addressed via firmware.

#210 ·
I am having the same issue with my 2019 highlander. The dealer couldn't fix. I called Toyota and they open a case but it has been more than 2 months now and every time they call me they said no update.
If you said they replaced the JBL AMP please post a screen print of the dealer statement so we prove it to our Toyota dealer.
Thanks

#213 · (Edited)
I suggest you read my post #205 ( 4-4-2019 ) and call Henry at the 800 # and extension # to get the latest updates...
Although he will tell you there is now a Solution (fix) for our issue, they are not giving specifics on the part that will be replaced. So unless the other members that have actually had their vehicles fixed and can chime in on this question, then that's all we have at this point. There shouldn't be anything to "PROVE" to your dealer. At this point this is a well known defect and they should be able to call their district manager. I'm shocked that you are needing proof when Toyota has sent out a tech tip addressing the problem which I'll attach.

Attachments

#211 ·
Although I don't believe this has been clarified, do I assume the "new" replacement JBL amp is not the standard amp that was installed at the factory. It's been modified now somehow or replaced? If that's a correct assumption; the availability of the new part(s) could be an ongoing issue. Also, replacing the amp may be an expensive solution forced upon Toyota by the arbitration process. Maybe they're buying time to implement a cheaper solution? Question: does anyone know, are there ANY 2019 Highlander Ltd Platinums that are NOT affected by this issue?

#214 ·
Although none of us have any specifics on the Amp that will fix our problems at this point, we can only assume it will be a total replacement of the current installed one as no software updates that have been done to other members vehicles was successful. And from what my dealerships service manager has told me, the availability of the repairs will be assigned according to Vin #, in other words, I reported mine the 2nd week of December 2018, therefore if he is correct, my vehicle should be somewhere towards the front of the line ( I'm not betting on that ) compared to someone that purchased their Platinum last month. And per your last question, according to the Tech Tip, all 2019 Platinum trims that were produced had this issue. Now, we can all pretty much guess that Toyota is going to make sure that the New builds coming off the line in Princeton Indiana will have priority
over all of us. ( why release other defective ones ), so until they start mass producing these new amps, it's still going to be a waiting game for us current valued Loyal customers.
I'm sure they are going to wait a bit to make sure the ones who have had replacements do not have any further problems to make sure they do not create a secondary problem.
Compensation for us all will be well deserved if they follow through with one. Myself...its been 5 months of dealing with this...they want a future Loyal customer...they best do the right thing. :my2cents:

#216 ·
Thanks to everyone sharing their knowledge on this forum. My wife and I are just about to purchase a 19 HL plat.. I just called the dealer / salesman and shared my findings here with him. He was a little “confused” at first...but when I started quoting from this forum ( including the tech bulletin attached), things became more clearer for him. He also said he had another customer with the same issue. He actually did go out to his lot and tried starting up 2 different platinum’s. One supposedly on his lot for 4+ months and one they just received. Both had the issues. He tried the fix, (I read to him from the tech bulletin that was attached to this forum)....surprise, both vehicles sound then worked. I told him we are not signing any deal until I have in writing when/if the amp will be replaced, and that I certainly would like it replaced before delivery takes place. We’ve bought several Toyota vehicles from this dealership...so I’m hopeful they will do the right/ proper thing. I just joined this forum today. So again thanks to all of you whom have shared your experiences, know that you’ve helped educate at least one other family.....before.....signing on the dotted line. Let’s see what gets done.

#219 ·
Happy you found us and it allowed you to delay your purchase.
Most of us were not that fortunate and made our Platinum purchase not knowing there was a problem until after we signed the paperwork...in my case...5 months and counting dealing with this...

#217 ·
Toyota Customer Service supervisor who is following up with me in this issue for my 2019 highlander just called me today for update, and she said Toyota has not find a fix, when I mention to her, that Henry A. aware of a fix which he provided the fix to another customer, she insisted she has no knowledge of any fix yet. Not sure what is the deal here??

#218 ·
You need to read my previous post with the info on contacting Henry A. There have been other members as well who have less than good reps they are dealing with. We have current members who have had the fix installed and they are reporting successful continued days of perfect operation...so Yes...there is a fix for this...now it's just a waiting period for all of us.

#220 ·
Got “fix” today. The replace Amp. Attached is the portion of the paperwork.

Hopefully this helps others in some small way. Many folks in this forum and this forum only helped me get to the point to get new amp.

It’s a damn shame Toyota still is selling this model and not informing would be buyers there is a problem.

I feel awful for the recent folks posting that are getting the run-around and told lies. I know what that is like.

Thanks again to the people that directed me here in the RIGHT direction.

Attachments

#224 ·
MIKEA333, I'm very happy you are still having success with the replacement amp. I was hoping that yourself and the others that have already had their Highlanders repaired could share your purchase dates. I purchased mine on December 8th 2018. So for me it's been a 5 month ordeal to date. I'm trying to get a possible idea if what my dealer is telling me is true. He told me that the amps would be replaced based on Vin#s and when the issue was documented which in my case was the next day (Dec. 9th 2018) after I purchased it and realized there was a problem. All of course prior to finding this forum and thread and all the valuable information I've learned from it. ANY info you ALL could share about your purchase time frames, I can use it to ask my Service manager why in my case after 5 months, I've yet to have any notification of a amp for my vehicle now that they have one.
( I'm not insinuating I deserve preference over others with the same problem, that's not the case, I'm just trying to catch my dealership in yet another shall we say "little fib".)
I at this point feel like im "beating a dead horse" :deadhorse as the old saying goes with major lies from so many different Toyota employees and the failure from the company itself to address this properly from the beginning. I still hope that when this is all said and done, that they do the right thing and someway compensate us all with something for this.
:my2cents:

#222 ·
Recall Issued.......?

All...I have been told by my salesman that Toyota has finally issued a recall for this issue. I believe he said it was issued on Friday? I will confirm and find out more when I go back later this week. As I stated above I advised my salesman I will not be signing any deal until I have in writing something covering/fixing this issue. So again we will see where this ends up. Once I get more info I’ll post it.

#223 · (Edited)
All...I have been told by my salesman that Toyota has finally issued a recall for this issue. I believe he said it was issued on Friday? I will confirm and find out more when I go back later this week. As I stated above I advised my salesman I will not be signing any deal until I have in writing something covering/fixing this issue. So again we will see where this ends up. Once I get more info I’ll post it.
Honestly, I wouldn’t be signing on for a 2019 Limited Platinum at all with this unresolved problem. The issues, for the most part, remain unresolved (as evidenced by this very lengthy thread). Very few have gotten the fix. And the majority with case numbers filed months ago, still don’t have any promises or assurances regarding a fix. Some are being told that there is a fix, others are being told that a fix isn’t yet available. I do not think a dealer’s promise to you of a fix before delivery in writing can be counted on fully. By the time a fix is fully rolled out to all, the new 2020 models may be available. If I could turn back time, I wouldn’t have invested in the 2019 Limited Platinum. I could have gotten a lesser version without these issues. So knowing the issues exist, and knowing how few have been fixed, buyer beware. Why buy the version with these known issues now? But for everyone’s sake, I hope a formal recall is issued, and a fix is issued once and for all. We should get what we paid for.

#225 ·
Read thru this thread since I've just purchased a 2019 Highlander LTD Platinum. Voice "prompting", "text reading", "Navigation" was all working fine...until today. I thought I'd mis-set something. Here's what I personally discovered. Take this for what it's worth...I'm a "techy". Been in IT my whole adult life and troubleshooting is my super power. ;) By deductive logic, I determined the only thing that had changed since it was working was the fact that I'd loaded the stupid Entune App on my iPhone and paired that app to my car. My phone was paired without the app prior to this. Since the symptoms "seem" to be related to the blue tooth pairing and not the SOS system from what I can tell. This is a software glitch. It "seems" like it's somehow defaulting to your "Entune App" for the voice instead of the onboard speakers. I deleted the app from my phone and restarted my car at a stop light...phone paired normally with regular blue tooth and voice commands all came back immediately. So...some of you may try to delete the app if you have it on your paired phone...see if that works for you.

-Cheri

#230 ·
It "seems" like it's somehow defaulting to your "Entune App" for the voice instead of the onboard speakers. I deleted the app from my phone and restarted my car at a stop light...phone paired normally with regular blue tooth and voice commands all came back immediately. So...some of you may try to delete the app if you have it on your paired phone...see if that works for you.

-Cheri
Thanks for the Info Cheri... :welcome:
I've not tried deleting the Entune app off my phone. From my experience, if my vehicle isn't connected to my Entune phone app, then some of the Entune apps like Weather, Fuel prices etc. will not function and they only show a error on the screen. Once I open my phone app and click on the "Ready to connect to your vehicle " ( most of the time it Bluetooth connects on it's own once I'm in the front seat then all my apps work.) Deleting the phone app from my phone would render some of the apps useless? Does this sound correct to anyone else from their experiences with the Entune system ?

#229 ·
Very happy for you that your nightmare will be coming to a end this Friday. Just curious as to how long ago you purchased your vehicle. I've now been dealing with this issue for 5 months(12-08-2018) I recieved my weekly update phone call from Henry from Toyota today...as always, no time frame as to when my replacement part will be available..
Please keep us informed as to how your repair is working on your Highlander.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.