Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all: New member. I just purchased a 2019 Highlander XLE AWD. I have one issue which I noticed within days. Nothing major. I usually drive with my left elbow on the driver's door armrest, and the black leather is already "indenting". The leather is so soft, it's puckering and looks like eventually it will become cracked or "wear through." Anyone know if there is a supplemental cover or cushion I could put on the armrest to protect it? I've looked on the internet and in Toyota accessories, and there doesn't seem to be anything available specifically for the Highlander. I've thought about velcroing some thing in place, but was hoping there is an aftermarket piece available. Thanks for any input. Anyone had a similar issue with a Highlander? DEF

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I don't own a HL, but I doubt the arm rest is leather. In fact, I doubt that the entire seat is leather (usually just "leather trimmed").

If you want to shrink it a bit, use a damp cloth and get it moist, and then use a hair dryer on it to shrink the vinyl. That technique usually works with leather also.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Have had my 2019 XLE for 11 months and the leather or more likely softex if it is on the doors is fine, it does indent when touched like it lacks sufficient padding but doubt that it will wear out quickly, my previous rav4 2014 had heavy interior use with cloth seats and when traded at 60K miles the soft trimmed parts of the interior looked virtually new, cannot imagine the highlander would be less quality. Remember the HL XLE is not a luxury vehicle, to get an equivalent vehicle in terms of refinement and solidity trimmed with the finest quality materials on the interior could cost 20K more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't own a HL, but I doubt the arm rest is leather. In fact, I doubt that the entire seat is leather (usually just "leather trimmed").

If you want to shrink it a bit, use a damp cloth and get it moist, and then use a hair dryer on it to shrink the vinyl. That technique usually works with leather also.
Thanks for the info. Front and 2nd row seats are leather, third seat is softex, and I think you are correct that the armrest cover is also softex vinyl, but it definitely is puckering. It doesn't go away overnight. Interim solution, via Walmart, was to cut and place a felt adhesive backed pad on the armrest. It's only about a 1/4 inch thick, isn't very attractive, but it solves the purpose right now, until I put something else in place, or use your method to shrink it. I wonder if they use a softer padding on the 2019? Thanks again for replying. DEF

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have had my 2019 XLE for 11 months and the leather or more likely softex if it is on the doors is fine, it does indent when touched like it lacks sufficient padding but doubt that it will wear out quickly, my previous rav4 2014 had heavy interior use with cloth seats and when traded at 60K miles the soft trimmed parts of the interior looked virtually new, cannot imagine the highlander would be less quality. Remember the HL XLE is not a luxury vehicle, to get an equivalent vehicle in terms of refinement and solidity trimmed with the finest quality materials on the interior could cost 20K more.
Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all: New member. I just purchased a 2019 Highlander XLE AWD. I have one issue which I noticed within days. Nothing major. I usually drive with my left elbow on the driver's door armrest, and the black leather is already "indenting". The leather is so soft, it's puckering and looks like eventually it will become cracked or "wear through." Anyone know if there is a supplemental cover or cushion I could put on the armrest to protect it? I've looked on the internet and in Toyota accessories, and there doesn't seem to be anything available specifically for the Highlander. I've thought about velcroing some thing in place, but was hoping there is an aftermarket piece available. Thanks for any input. Anyone had a similar issue with a Highlander? DEF
I use to own a 2015 highlander hybrid (I've since sold it, thank God!) and this happened to mine. I found out later that this was a known defect and had a TSB issued for it. You're still under the 12-12K bumper to bumper warranty, right? Hell, take it in and make them fix it. For what you're paying for this thing, it should be perfect. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2014 HL XLE AWD
2,166 Posts
Hi all: New member. I just purchased a 2019 Highlander XLE AWD. I have one issue which I noticed within days. I usually drive with my left elbow on the driver's door armrest, and the black leather is already "indenting". The leather is so soft, it's puckering and looks like eventually it will become cracked or "wear through." A
Same on my 2014. Arm rests wrinkled & material will move if I push on it. So far, it hasen't cracked etc. Old posts on this, use..Advanced Search..3rd Gen HL..key words...door arm rest.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts