Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I got a 2019 hybrid camry.. had it only for 10 days now.. Had full tank (all the way to the top) I got 598 miles.. But I noticed on my last 1/4 of the gas, it went it through it quick than the previous 3/4... Any ideas? Motor seems to be running more too.. but my driving stayed the same..

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
The gauge is just that... a gauge. It is not a meter, and it does not accurately linearly track the level in the tank.
Fill the tank and see how many gallons it takes, then divide that into 598 to determine your MPG (which actually sounds pretty decent).

Set up an account on Fuelly and use your phone to text your fuel purchases to track your mileage... link in my sig block.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
49.8 mpg? Is that bad? Refill is what, 12 gal? 598 divided by 12 = 49.8 mpg.
If that... TCH is only a 13 gallon tank, same as my Corolla, and it's very rare that I take more than 11 gallons and I'll run it to the light, 0-range, and run the gauge to E.
Out of 208 fill-ups, only 36 tanks took more than 11, 11 tanks took more than 11.5, and only 3 tanks took more than 12 (and I *was* sweating bullets on the 12.5)

If I fill up as soon as the light comes on, it's closer to 10 gallons.

·
8,174 Posts
All righty then, 598 miles divided by 11 is what? 54.36 mpg? THAT is bad mpg? That's Prius bested.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
All righty then, 598 miles divided by 11 is what? 54.36 mpg? THAT is bad mpg? That's Prius bested.
Yup... OP needs a Fuelly account.

I used to carry one of those "Motors" logbooks in my glove box before we had computers.
I wrote my mileage on my receipts and logged them into an Excel (or Lotus) spreadsheet before we had smartphones and Fuelly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE which is driven exclusively in ECO mode. On the hwy (95%) I'm getting approx 48MPG but city driving is really awful (28MPG). I don't accelerate quickly yet my city is way out of whack with what is listed on the car specs.
MPG is based on Imperial gallon and converted from L/100km.

I picked up the vehicle in the late summer and the mileage was better so I have to wonder whether the winter weather (which has been relatively mild) is the cause.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
I have a 2018 Camry Hybrid XLE which is driven exclusively in ECO mode. On the hwy (95%) I'm getting approx 48MPG but city driving is really awful (28MPG). I don't accelerate quickly yet my city is way out of whack with what is listed on the car specs.

I picked up the vehicle in the late summer and the mileage was better so I have to wonder whether the winter weather (which has been relatively mild) is the cause.
An imperial gallon is 1.2 US gallons, which is what the specs are written for, which means that you are only calculating 23.3mpg city. That sounds like it could be a math error in the conversion from L/100km, unless this city driving is all extremely short trips and the ICE is running full-time recharging the battery and getting up to operating temperature.

Current HV specs are back to the "good mileage highway, not as good city" thing that is standard for ICE vehicles, but when hybrids first came out, city was often 10mpg better than highway due to the benefits of regenerative braking.

·
Registered
7 Posts
US to Imperial / Miles to Gallons

Thank you for your reply.

Regrettably, my math is not in error.

My vehicle is averaging 10.3L/100km. which equates to 2.64 US Gallons / 62.5 Miles = 23.6742 MPG

The best travel distance on a full tank was about 730Km (453.6 miles) which was from a full tank (topped off) to well past E.

If most of you are getting 600 Miles to a full tank which equates to 965.61Km, it becomes evident that something is awry.

·
Registered
'18 Camry Hybrid XLE
15 Posts

Winter mileage will always be worse. Winter gas, cold, running heater (which forces the ICE to run more), snow/ice on rads which adds rolling resistance etc etc.

There are things you can do to improve city mileage;
- when accelerating, try letting up on the gas pedal bit bu bit as you are getting up to speed
- try to anticipate lights by coasting to a red. Also brake early and lightly to get that regen braking
- leave more space to the car in front of you so you don't have to hit the brake then accelerate again

- when at steady speed, try very lightly lifting off the throttle to try and get the car to go into EV mode

·
Registered
1 Posts
All, I got a 2019 hybrid camry.. had it only for 10 days now.. Had full tank (all the way to the top) I got 598 miles.. But I noticed on my last 1/4 of the gas, it went it through it quick than the previous 3/4... Any ideas? Motor seems to be running more too.. but my driving stayed the same..
I bought a 2019 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 5 weeks ago (new). At none of the fillips has it showed an estimated range of more than 480 miles. The gauge, which shows estimated MPG per tank has never done better than 36 MPG so I went to the old fashioned method of writing down beginning and ending milage and dividing by gallons put in tank. Checked it today and was stunned!!! 31.6 MPG (gauge said 35.5 MPG) . I do not have a heavy foot and I try to drive in ECO Mode as much as possible. This car has an EPA range of 44 to 48 MPG. What is wrong? is it me or have I purchased a "lemon."

·
Registered
38 Posts
6,500 miles on my CH XLE. During the mild summer It averaged a solid 47.0 mpg. During the cooler weather (40s to 50s) it’s been a averaging 43.0. I drive conservatively but don’t ‘drive for efficiency.’

One tank for cooler 100% city driving was 36.0.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,681 Posts
I've had a 2013 TCH for 4 years, I've noticed that fuel mileage changes based on a few factors. Most importantly, driving style, then learning to watch the ECO meter, outside temperature, and time of year fuel formulation. I've found that spring and then fall, after the reformulated gas is over, are the best. Worse case was 37mpg, best was 40.2mpg. Winter and cold weather seem to yield the worst mileage, and I never switch out of the ECO mode.

I've recently given the 2013 to my wife and bought a 2018 TCH. I'm getting 42.4 to 45 in the 2018 using in the same driving techniques. My wife with no hybrid experience is currently getting 39mpg, way better than I expected. It seems like the 2018 likes the highway better and the 2013 likes the city better. The 2018 hybrid drive stays engaged at a lot higher mph than the 2013 does. If you're driving a lot of city, you may have lower mileage. They also claim that you need to drive trips more than 7 miles each or your mileage will be poor.

In your case I would say stay in ECO, eliminate jackrabbit starts, learn to ride the ECO meter to stay in hybrid drive as much as you can. Remember, your mileage changes quickly when you first reset it and it takes a long time to change the more miles you're in. On my 2013 it seems like the nicer you were to the car right after reset meant you ended at a higher mileage, when in reality it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 2019 Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE 5 weeks ago (new). At none of the fillips has it showed an estimated range of more than 480 miles. The gauge, which shows estimated MPG per tank has never done better than 36 MPG so I went to the old fashioned method of writing down beginning and ending milage and dividing by gallons put in tank. Checked it today and was stunned!!! 31.6 MPG (gauge said 35.5 MPG) . I do not have a heavy foot and I try to drive in ECO Mode as much as possible. This car has an EPA range of 44 to 48 MPG. What is wrong? is it me or have I purchased a "lemon."
Hi, I have a 2019 Camry ZR (top of the line in NZ) and it shows 5.3l/100kms which converts to 44 mpg (US) and 53 mpg (Imp).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts