Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this exact same thread at another forum.

OK, I know that this topic has been discussed many times here but every threads that I checked does not offer any solution. I know that some of you guys already reported the issue to your dealer and some to directly to Toyota. What do you guys know so far? What are they saying about the issue and is there a plan to fix it? Or do we already have a fix for the problem? Just let us know here, if you have already dealt with your dealer and Toyota, what they are saying about this annoying issues. Thanks.

Issues:
1) Transmission lurching and hesitating at lower speed acceleration.
2) Vehicle hesitates when accelerating after rolling stops, such as at traffic lights that change to green as you approach them. Once the car responds to depressing the accelerator, the car will jerk forward.
3) When need to accelerate from a lower speed, it fails to catch the right gear and hesitate for a few seconds before snapping to a higher gear.
4) It feels like the issue worsen when AC is turned on.

Also, let us know what you are doing currently to dealing with the problem. For me, I just try to go as slow as I can so that the transmission does not snap..lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had my Adventure for a full month now, maybe mine is not as bad as others. I've found I can almost eliminate the lurch if I gently add the power back in after slowing to almost a complete stop. I have a few quick stop signs to get out of my subdivision so I get the practice.
I would like to think it's a computer problem since that would be easier to fix but it seems like the 1st few stop/starts have the most potential to do it regardless if it is warmed up, in other words it almost seems like once the transmission oil gets circulating after starting out even after a quick shutdown and park it behaves better. Warmth not the primary factor but circulation???
Fun fact: I was talking to an acquaintance at a local business about my new purchase and I mentioned the lurch and he said his wife's new Forester with CVT does the exact same thing. Interesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I test drove the Honda CRV and Hyundai Tucson and they do the same. You ever think it is the engine is only a 4 cylinder, the Jeep Cherokee, Hyundai Sante Fe, And Highlander does not do it, but they are 6 cylinders. The Honda CRV was more sluggish than the RAV 4 when I drove it, but it is a 2.0

·
Registered
713 Posts
Honda CRV can't do the "same", its a totally different transmission. It is a CVT....it may have a bit of lag, but it sure can't lurch, buck and surge like the 8 speed auto that slams into gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have 2019 RAV4 Limited Getting Ave 34.3 mpg

Honda CRV can't do the "same", its a totally different transmission. It is a CVT....it may have a bit of lag, but it sure can't lurch, buck and surge like the 8 speed auto that slams into gear.
mine does not buck and surge. Just a lag and tad less than HONDA. Where was your RAV4 Assembled, mine in Japan.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Old days bucking and surging was caused by accelerator problems, human thing was a touchy foot, heavy show, arthritis, etc... I would go higher than dealer with this and ASAP, you may have legal issue if they do not resolve. I would say this is a DOT Safety Problem that should be reported so Toyota is forced to determine cause and issue recall notice. Check Consumer Reports and other places by pluging in your VIN to see if there is a recall already. You can actually do this before you actually purchase a car as long as you have the VIN.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just bought a new RAV4 and ours exhibits the same throttle response/transmission gear issue. Sometimes the car feels like it just has a really poorly tuned throttle response map or like when you have a bad sensor. Its a bit offputting for new car but our CX5 we traded in had similar issues sometimes depending on how you drove it or if it was cold. To me its all just throttle by wire stuff that is worse or better on some cars. I feel like my 02 LS430 is very smooth and linear in the way it handles throttle inputs, but then again I may just be used to the throttle "feel" and have subconsciously adjusted my foot to smooth out the drive. I'm starting to learn our RAV4 too as it seems to like very slow, smooth throttle inputs. If you are rolling to a stop or almost stop and have to get back on the gas Ive found a smooth easy throttle application keeps it from jerking. If you are too quick or abrupt it jerks into motion. I don't like it but I can live with it until a new "tune" or cpu update comes along. My wife doesn't seem to notice it or it doesnt bother her. I may be a little heavier on the foot than her. I do notice that in sport mode it feels much more in tune with what my foot is doing which makes sense. Normal mode is lagging and eco mode is a complete nightmare to drive in unless you are putting along or not needing to really hit the gas. Its like its in limp mode! haha. FWIW I leave my LS430 in sport mode all the time. Man I miss throttle cables sometimes.

·
Registered
996 Posts
The Rav4's 8 speed is jerky when subjected to abrupt throttle inputs at low vehicle speeds, just like a manual transmission is, because the 8 speed IS largely a manual transmission! i.e. there is no torque converter multiplication and slippage when accelerating in gears 2 - 8.

This lack of torque converter multiplication and slippage also makes acceleration seem lethargic compared to conventional automatic transmissions of the past, but the benefit is excellent fuel economy.

So owners simply need to accept the inherent jerkiness of the 8 speed - if the driver engages in abrupt throttle inputs at low vehicle speeds - and to consider it a necessary trade off for excellent fuel economy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Rav4's 8 speed is jerky when subjected to abrupt throttle inputs at low vehicle speeds, just like a manual transmission is, because the 8 speed IS largely a manual transmission! i.e. there is no torque converter multiplication and slippage when accelerating in gears 2 - 8.

This lack of torque converter multiplication and slippage also makes acceleration seem lethargic compared to conventional automatic transmissions of the past, but the benefit is excellent fuel economy.

So owners simply need to accept the inherent jerkiness of the 8 speed - if the driver engages in abrupt throttle inputs at low vehicle speeds - and to consider it a necessary trade off for excellent fuel economy.
interesting Im not super up to speed on the new drivetrain. I knew the new 2.5 has more power and I know the transmission was an 8 speed. Honestly the more I drive it the smoother I get with it. And I assume it has also made adjustments to the way we drive it. I need to brush up more on the details of the new trans and engine. I have noticed it feels like it is lugging every now and then as well, but going by what you are saying it makes sense it would feel like that under certain circumstances (low speed, very little throttle input and it just feels like it is in 6th or 7th gear or even 8th gear already) anyway I think its ok and especially if its "normal". I'm more weirded out by the super touchy steering, the steering is super assisted and I think the alignment specs lend the vehicle to being very twitchy on the highway, the slightest movement sends it off in that direction. It makes my lexus steering feel heavy lol. Our CX5 was "heavy" but I liked the feel of it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
God bless all you early adopters of the 2019 Rav4 with dual-port injection and the 8 speed. If history is a predictor of the current state of things i"m fairly certain that the new Rav's are going to have a fair amount of issues that need to be tweeked in the comming 2-3 years before I would cinsider buying a new gen Rav...leasing is of course a different approach. Im really hoping the dual port 8 speeds prove to ultimately be as reliable and durable as the 2.5 naturally aspirated engine with the awesome 6 speed but I feel like the odds are not in our favor.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I drove a 2019 a few months ago.

I wish I had experimented with the “snow” mode.

Is it true that the snow mode simply prevents downshift to first gear? If running in snow mode eliminates the hard-shift issue, is there any reason not to simply run the car in snow mode at all times?

·
Registered
19 Posts
God bless all you early adopters of the 2019 Rav4 with dual-port injection and the 8 speed. If history is a predictor of the current state of things i"m fairly certain that the new Rav's are going to have a fair amount of issues that need to be tweeked in the comming 2-3 years before I would cinsider buying a new gen Rav...leasing is of course a different approach. Im really hoping the dual port 8 speeds prove to ultimately be as reliable and durable as the 2.5 naturally aspirated engine with the awesome 6 speed but I feel like the odds are not in our favor.
Oh, poor snowflake....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I drove a 2019 a few months ago.

I wish I had experimented with the “snow” mode.

Is it true that the snow mode simply prevents downshift to first gear? If running in snow mode eliminates the hard-shift issue, is there any reason not to simply run the car in snow mode at all times?
I tried it yesterday and it really smoothed out the shifting. I view it as kind of a city "Econ" mode.
It seems to reinforce the notion that the shifting issues are not a mechanical defect with transmission but a programming issue. The transmission is capable of shifting smoothly.

·
Registered
4 Posts

mine does not buck and surge. Just a lag and tad less than HONDA. Where was your RAV4 Assembled, mine in Japan.
All RAV4 Non Hybrids have this condition. If they could find 1 on the lot of 52 that it did not, they would trade mine in but since all do it, it is considered normal by Toyota. Some people have different driving habits and may not feel this. I could not duplicate at first on my wife's RAV4, only when she drove it. I took it for an extended test by myself and experienced the lurching, sort of a whiplash effect.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,330 Posts
I've had my Adventure for a full month now, maybe mine is not as bad as others. I've found I can almost eliminate the lurch if I gently add the power back in after slowing to almost a complete stop. I have a few quick stop signs to get out of my subdivision so I get the practice.
I would like to think it's a computer problem since that would be easier to fix but it seems like the 1st few stop/starts have the most potential to do it regardless if it is warmed up, in other words it almost seems like once the transmission oil gets circulating after starting out even after a quick shutdown and park it behaves better. Warmth not the primary factor but circulation???
Fun fact: I was talking to an acquaintance at a local business about my new purchase and I mentioned the lurch and he said his wife's new Forester with CVT does the exact same thing. Interesting.
When I bought my 2017 RAV4 XLE I noticed that it did this same thing. I realized that it was in the "Sport" mode transmission setting and I switched it to the "Eco" mode and the problem disappeared. It just seems like the throttle setting is so sensitive in the Sport mode. Now granted mine is a 4th Gen RAV4 but I wonder if this is a common thread as I've driven other brands that do this same thing. Makes me wish I could still get a RAV4 with a MT.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
20,330 Posts
Will say that I'm glad that I bought a 17 RAV4 with the 6AT. I hear more negatives things about a lot of these 8, 9 and 10 speed AT's from most every manufacturer. If I was buying a new 5th Gen RAV4 I would buy a hybrid since the CVT in that is a planetary gear design and bulletproof.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts