Toyota Nation Forum banner

2019 transmission recall or TSB modification?

17K views 43 replies 23 participants last post by  Neil D 
#1 ·
If there is ever any "fix" or TSB modification developed that helps the spastic, bi-polar, jerky and #PizzPoor 8 speed trasmission on my '19 Camry 4 cylinder LE shift better; PLEASE let me know.

The power-train on my 2011 Camry was a much more harmonious combo.

#2 ·
There is a TSB that some people have had the dealership done that HELPS, not solve the problem, you could give it a try, I’m not sure about the TSB code though.

Also some people said the pedal commander helps a lot, some say a night and day difference it’s just you have to fork out about 300 bucks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I am quite pleased with this transmission. The early lock-up means that there is a positive feel without much "slippage". It feels a lot like a manual in the lower gears. The car feels very quick and responsive, It has done the hesitation and downshift a very few times in 10k miles.
I do not mean to doubt the unhappy experience of so many others.

#29 ·
I am quite pleased with this transmission. The early lock-up means that there is a positive feel without much "slippage". It feels a lot like a manual in the lower gears. The car feels very quick and responsive, It has done the hesitation and downshift a very few times in 10k miles.
I do not mean to doubt the unhappy experience of so many others.
You'll be quite pleased until you have to have it replaced.

#11 ·
It says something about a certain drive procedure must be performed to have it take effect. Do you know what the procedure might be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
It's on the last page of the TSB.
The drive procedure should be performed by the technician and not the owner.

5. Drive the vehicle to a safe and appropriate location where the following drive patterns can be performed.

6. Return the vehicle to the customer and explain that the transmission shift schedule has been modified and should adapt to the customer’s driving habits as the vehicle is driven.

#20 ·
The drive procedure should be performed by the technician and not the owner.

5. Drive the vehicle to a safe and appropriate location where the following drive patterns can be performed.

6. Return the vehicle to the customer and explain that the transmission shift schedule has been modified and should adapt to the customer’s driving habits as the vehicle is driven.
Reading the details of the drive pattern, it's designed to "force" the ECU to adapt the described pattern in the TSB, by performing it 15 times in a row. It's interesting insight into how the ECU adapts to the customer's driving pattern.

#36 ·
The car is simply too eager to upshift. Toyota might not realize that in America everyone thinks they're in a literal race on the roadway, and as such, our cars need to be tuned to keep up with this miserable stampede called society. We need a "stampede" mode for the transmission. Efficient mode is great and all but not practical for the horrible circumstances we suffer in the "real" (crappy) world.

#37 ·
I find the transmission to be fine on the highway, It seems to suck at lower gear shifts and is super annoying in traffic when it get stuck in a certain gear. Even the slightest tap on the throttle makes your neck break when it is in a certain gear range. I am hoping if I ask for this TSB it will fix itself. Toyota of Hackensack doesn't want to fix any of the problems with my car even when I mention it so I think I am going to try a different dealer.

#41 ·
TSB-0152-19. They did not apply the documentation sticker under the hood per the TSB instructions. Some have commented that no improvement in acceleration performance and wondered if they just wiped the ECU and let it relearn the acceleration profile vs. actually updating the software.

#42 ·
How long did they have your car? The TSB reprogram and driving pattern takes awhile, I hear 1.5-2 hours usually. They had my car for 3 hours total when i had the TSB applied along with the 10K service.

The issue isn't an acceleration issue, it's a shifting issue (mainly downshifting). Try slowing down to about 5mph and then stepping on the gas to accelerate again (you don't have to stomp the pedal, just accelerate normally). If it feels like the transmission is slipping for a moment before it locks into gear and starts accelerating, then you need the TSB applied.

#43 ·
They had my car for several hours since they were applying both the acceleration and the dash trim reflection TSBs in that same visit. Miffed that they didn't put the upgrade documentation sticker on as instructed, got the mileage on the invoice wrong, and made 2 trips cuz they didn't get all the parts for the other TSB. 3 fast strikes.

#44 ·
Hi, I have a 2020 Camry V6....8 speed auto and have experienced the hesitation and the confusion of gear change around 60 kmhr....when I select ECO mode the problem becomes less noticeable....there there must be a software issue as noted in previous posts. I am located in Australia and talked to Toyota locally, however no recall or software upgrade is available....we I plant my foot on the gas, it performs like a power house :D...when I drive slow, the problem appears🤔

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.