Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a separate issue from the concave-ness/distortion that has been mentioned.

Is anyone experiencing very poorly installed/designed side mirrors that shake repeatedly on your 2019? It began happening on my XLE when it was only at highway speeds but now it is al the time and honestly, it's such a substantial vibration that I cannot use the mirrors.

The dealer claims it's a characteristic and refusing to do anything about it and made me have to open a case with manufacturing. They claim I have to wait until a fix is issued however I deem this a safety concern; particularly with lane changing. It's a major problem and I'm getting blown off like I don't matter and am ready to trade in and bite the loss because of how poorly the dealer and corporate are dealing with the situation. (This is on top of them already crditing me the alarm system back due to other install issues; I thought I was getting something reliable here)

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I believe it warrants immediate action and at the most a safety recall given they confirmed a safety glitch is a "vehicular characteristic". It's extremely concerning and really want to gauge if others are going through this.

Thanks in advance for any insight/input you can bring to this. I've driven other models and some have the issue, some don't but there's no rhyme or reason to the types as it's in some premiums, XLEs, LEs, but not all. They believe it's the XLE's coming from Japan (not Texas).

·
Registered
97 Posts
This is a separate issue from the concave-ness/distortion that has been mentioned.

Is anyone experiencing very poorly installed/designed side mirrors that shake repeatedly on your 2019? It began happening on my XLE when it was only at highway speeds but now it is al the time and honestly, it's such a substantial vibration that I cannot use the mirrors.

The dealer claims it's a characteristic and refusing to do anything about it and made me have to open a case with manufacturing. They claim I have to wait until a fix is issued however I deem this a safety concern; particularly with lane changing. It's a major problem and I'm getting blown off like I don't matter and am ready to trade in and bite the loss because of how poorly the dealer and corporate are dealing with the situation. (This is on top of them already crditing me the alarm system back due to other install issues; I thought I was getting something reliable here)

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I believe it warrants immediate action and at the most a safety recall given they confirmed a safety glitch is a "vehicular characteristic". It's extremely concerning and really want to gauge if others are going through this.

Thanks in advance for any insight/input you can bring to this. I've driven other models and some have the issue, some don't but there's no rhyme or reason to the types as it's in some premiums, XLEs, LEs, but not all. They believe it's the XLE's coming from Japan (not Texas).
While you're waiting for all of this to get sorted out, you could get a foam earplug or two and wedge them between the mirror and housing. Get a color that is inconspicuous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Noticed it on test drive of 2 Rav4s. Between mirror shake and engine that sounds like it is going to scream out of the hood we are not buying one. Have a 02 lexus and 15 Tacoma and build quality is getting pretty bad. The door pillars start to flex open at 90mph and under high winds and has air noise. Cheap thin metal in the doors is causing my problem and mirror vibration.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Just purchased a brand new 2019, RAV4 LE and while not noticed on the test drive (too much else new and going on to notice) my wife said something was loose and shaking at the back of the car. I wrote this off to her not being used to the car yet. She persisted and I test drove it. As soon as I got on a road that was paved but not super smooth I too noticed the shaking and determined that it was the mirror. In our driveway I checked the sturdiness of the mirror and found it lacks stability both in the mounting of the assembly and also in the mirror within the assembly. When you shut the door you can see the mirror assembly shake. I'm taking it back to the dealer today. We have put less than 20 miles on this car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a brand new 2019, RAV4 LE and while not noticed on the test drive (too much else new and going on to notice) my wife said something was loose and shaking at the back of the car. I wrote this off to her not being used to the car yet. She persisted and I test drove it. As soon as I got on a road that was paved but not super smooth I too noticed the shaking and determined that it was the mirror. In our driveway I checked the sturdiness of the mirror and found it lacks stability both in the mounting of the assembly and also in the mirror within the assembly. When you shut the door you can see the mirror assembly shake. I'm taking it back to the dealer today. We have put less than 20 miles on this car.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I have experienced the same. two days ago (9-24-19) ,the dealer REPLACED the mirror and while somewhat better, the jiggle, as I call it, is still happening. The tech wrote who serviced the car, in his write-up wrote he test drove the vehicle and mirror was vibrating a lot and ... this may tell all.. there is play in the mirror assembly. Oh well, back to the dealer when I get a chance. I think it is either a design flaw or a batch that maybe were not made right, or as one forum member found when taking the door panel to access the mount, there were loose screw(s). I hope you are successful in getting the problem fixed and if so, let us know what did it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 XLE fwd. Bout 6800 miles on it now. I noticed it on day 1, on way home from dealership as I got on the freeway, Any speed typically above 60mph the mirrors will rattle a bit. On bumpy roads too, driving the typical 40mph average. I'd say 85% of the time I can use them, other times it vibrates so much I cant use it.

The mount bracket itself (part mounted to the door) is solid. The part where you can fold the mirror housing, if parking in tight spaces, is so-so...But still tight enough not to shift while driving. Its more on the actual mirror in the housing, that shakes.

Also closing the doors, you can hear the assembly rattle a little.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To make a long story short, I have the same problem in my 2019 RAV4 XLE Premium (one month old). Dealer replaced the mirror, result was.... a small bit better but the problem still exists. We'll see what happens when I let the service manager know. I have a strange feeling that either the design is bad or a number of mirrors were manufactured and or installed defectively. I hope Toyota follows the forum and does something.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To make a long story short, I have the same problem in my 2019 RAV4 XLE Premium (one month old). Dealer replaced the mirror, result was.... a small bit better but the problem still exists. We'll see what happens when I let the service manager know. I have a strange feeling that either the design is bad or a number of mirrors were manufactured and or installed defectively. I hope Toyota follows the forum and does something.
You aren't alone! This is an ongoing issue that Toyota should own up to.. Anyone with this problem should make sure the complaint is DOCUMENTED and keep after the dealer: every time you go in have the problem written on the W/O, even if it's in the form of a question such as:" is there a fix for the rattling door mirrors?"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, we'll keep at it. as for letting Toyota know about the problem, I don't have a lot of faith there. When we owned a Sienna, I contacted them about a safety problem as in some circumstances, the car could move when the sliding doors were open. Not good when there are kids in the middle seats! Toyota's response was we will see how many people reply to your problem, and if 200 of them reply, we will consider the issue. I'm paraphrasing but the meaning is correct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 XLE and I am experiencing the same problem. It's is so bad that I get queasy when I look at the mirrors so I hardly drive it because it's a huge safety concern for me :-(. Very disappointing purchase. I am really thinking about cutting my losses and trading it in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have experienced the same. two days ago (9-24-19) ,the dealer REPLACED the mirror and while somewhat better, the jiggle, as I call it, is still happening. The tech wrote who serviced the car, in his write-up wrote he test drove the vehicle and mirror was vibrating a lot and ... this may tell all.. there is play in the mirror assembly. Oh well, back to the dealer when I get a chance. I think it is either a design flaw or a batch that maybe were not made right, or as one forum member found when taking the door panel to access the mount, there were loose screw(s). I hope you are successful in getting the problem fixed and if so, let us know what did it.
I officially traded mine in due to this and the transmission. Manufacturing isn’t addressing clear and present safety concerns and I couldn’t waste anymore of my time trying to get this stuff fixed. As someone else said, I’ve never seen this type of issue in other cars and it legit makes driving uncomfortable and unsafe. Goodbye Toyota.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I have that rattling problem worse on the driver's side - will see the local dealer Wednesday, I don't have high hopes ...to be continued

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do provide an update. I'm looking to by this month and I'm starting to have concerns due to the rattle sounds, vibrating mirrors and the jerking/lurching transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
had my appointment with the Toyota dealer, they checked both mirrors went for a road test, they said they couldn't do anything to fix it ..for now, so reading between the line looks like they are waiting for directions from Toyota Canada depending of the amount of complains they receive, anyways my mirrors rattlings are minimal but still, I just paid 40 k for this vehicle ! by going to the dealer I wanted to make sure I had something in writing (on the record) last Sunday I watched a tv program (RPM on V tv ) reviewing the 2019 RAV4, in their half hour or so complete review they did mentioned the mirror rattling -shaking

·
Registered
4 Posts
...hope Toyota is listening & will do something about it, if you have that problem book an appointment at the dealer to produce a service notification - regards !

·
Registered
26 Posts
I noticed this during my test drive of a hybrid xse. I'm actually starting to lean away from new Toyotas due to the transmissions concerns and high costs of hybrids but would like to follow in case they fix this. I found the mirror unusable at highway speeds.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts