Toyota Nation Forum banner

2020 Camry getting android auto. What about 2018-2019? Retrofit Available in Australia Now.

171K views 434 replies 91 participants last post by  bche1739 
#1 · (Edited)
I just looked at the 2020 Camry Navigation and Multimedia manual and on page 63 it talks about how to establish an android auto connection. So its confirmed that android auto is coming to 2020 camry but still not confirmed if its coming to 2018-2019 camry.

Here is the manual to see for yourself.

https://docdro.id/rDXXF4w

#2 · (Edited)
I just looked at the 2020 Camry Navigation and Multimedia manual and on page 63 it talks about how to establish an android auto connection. So its confirmed that android auto is coming to 2020 camry but still not confirmed if its coming to 2018-2019 camry.

Thanks for the heads up. Have been searching every week to see when it's confirmed. I'm quite sure it's coming to the 2019 Rav4, and Toyota Australia has already promised it via a software upgrade, but with the 8th Gen Camry being over a year older, we can't be sure the hardware was designed with the upgrade in mind. I'm really hoping it is, as I'd prefer to pick up a discounted 2019 than to have to pay close to MSRP for a 2020 in a couple months. On a related note, have you seen the 2020 Rav4 multimedia manual (OM0R026U on Helm) yet? Not sure how you got the Camry one.

#3 · (Edited)
On a related note, have you seen the 2020 Rav4 multimedia manual (OM0R026U on Helm) yet?
Yeah, the 2020 Rav4 is getting android auto too.

https://docdro.id/aDaUZAY

Regarding the hardware, when it comes to carplay or android auto, the phone does all the heavy lifting while the hardware or entune just displays it on the screen or mirrors it.

#4 ·

==============
Here is hoping they do offer it to the 2018. I mean they went through all that trouble to get Carplay, why not just offer the Android Auto in addition. *FINGERS CROSSED*

#6 ·
The 2018s and 2019s will get the Android Auto update eventually, but at a later date. I’m predicting maybe around Spring 2021 (based on patterns).

With that said, I got an email from Toyota stating that Entune 3.0 is now renamed Toyota Connected Service. They started using the new name starting with the 2020 Corollas but now they are expanding throughout the entire lineup.

#8 ·
The 2018s and 2019s will get the Android Auto update eventually, but at a later date. I’m predicting maybe around Spring 2021 (based on patterns).
Hopefully sooner. Waiting that long starts getting into the "why bother?" territory.

With that said, I got an email from Toyota stating that Entune 3.0 is now renamed Toyota Connected Service. They started using the new name starting with the 2020 Corollas but now they are expanding throughout the entire lineup.
What's that old saying about "lipstick on a pig" ?

#7 ·
I am waiting to see if there is going to be an update for the 2019 Camry, but if not I will try a friends Apple phone on the car. If I like it I will buy a used Apple phone for the car. No big deal. Meanwhile, I don't really mind the Android apps. The jazz stations on the LiveXlive are fine. Sirius XM is OK. Not really sure what else is needed.

#46 ·
They have not announced any retrofit. For reference, they also did not announce the Apple CarPlay retrofit for the 18 models until the end of April 2019. I doubt there is any way to know whether they will or will not have one until the 19 models are all gone.

I'm torn on whether to get a 19 and switch to an iphone if they don't ever update them, or get a 20 model.
This is what I did. I bought the cheapest iPhone I could when i did my retrofit. I was able to get an iPhone SE from one of those used tech sites where you can sell your old phones. Had no issues. I'm not a huge phone user so I preferred to go back to the small form factor. Having Carplay has been totally worth abandoning the Android (all my smartphones ever were Android) world. That being said though, if AA comes available for 2018's I'll drop iPhone and go back to Android since I can get a much nicer phone for the money.
If having navigation/media/etc up on your dash is important than just buy a 2 year old iPhone for not a lot of $$ to hold you over until 2021 when they release the patch for AA.

#9 ·

Is the 2020 owner’s manual available anywhere yet? I checked the Toyota Owners site but they haven’t posted it there yet. Wanted to flip through it to see if there were any new features for 2020 (other than Android Auto).

#17 ·
Emailed to Toyota and asked about the AA update on 2018 and 2019. Below is the response which is the same when I asked about AC.

“Thank you for taking time to contact Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. and we appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry regarding the inclusion of Android Auto® in our vehicles.

While Toyota strives to innovate and look for ways to include new technology in our vehicles, Toyota has not announced an Android Auto® retrofit strategy at this time. We certainly appreciate your inquiry and interest. You can sign up for the latest updates with our RSS Feeds and/or receive email alerts when new information is posted in the Toyota USA Newsroom.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us.”

#18 ·
Emailed to Toyota and asked about the AA update on 2018 and 2019. Below is the response...

It's year 2018 all over again. It's the same response that we got asking for carplay. Don't rely on those responses. Just have to wait until toyota officially announces it. The way we found out about carplay is from the tacoma or tundra forum which leaked an internal email sent to the dealers from toyota. It may take a year for an android auto update, hopefully sooner.

#22 ·
Every company does this. There's no benefit to them to announce it now, even if it's in their plans. They want AA to stand out as a feature of the 2020 Camry.

If they add it to 18/19 models, it will be deep into the 2020 sales cycle or later.

#27 ·
They have not announced any retrofit. For reference, they also did not announce the Apple CarPlay retrofit for the 18 models until the end of April 2019. I doubt there is any way to know whether they will or will not have one until the 19 models are all gone.

I'm torn on whether to get a 19 and switch to an iphone if they don't ever update them, or get a 20 model.

#45 ·
"Toyota Australia will now offer to retrofit Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone connectivity to select models, but will charge up to $199aud for the update.

Only the Camry mid-size sedan, Corolla hatchback and Prius hybrid sold before October this year will have a cost attached to the upgrade however, with vehicles sold after the specific dates having the technology fitted as standard.

Specifically, if you bought a Camry between November 21, 2017 and October 20, 2019, you will need to pay the near-$200 fee for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto to be retrofitted.

Similarly, the sale range for the Corolla hatch is August 15, 2018 to October 13, 2019 and the dates for the Prius are March 12, 2019 to September 30, 2019 for fee

All new RAV4, HiAce Van and Commuter, and Granvia vehicles have the smartphone mirroring technology included in the vehicle price, but some early adopters will need to head to a dealer for a retrofit."

This is for Australia.

#47 ·