Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I try to use the Toyota App to use the Remote Services to Start, Lock, or Unlock it will go through the "Connecting" routine to "Contacting Vehicle" but it doesn't. The red circle just continues to go around and around saying "Contacting" but doesn't. It also doesn't update Status. For instance if I leave the car unlocked it should send me a status notification, or if I leave the trunk open (which actually I did in the pouring rain at the grocery) it did not send a notification. The App seems to recognize my car, as it updates mileage, fuel, last parked location, Driver Score, and Recent Trip. My salesman tried to help and we actually got it to work while I was at the dealership but when I got home, nothing. He then checked with at tech who told him scheduling an appointment wouldn't be a bad idea, it would be covered under warranty if there were something wrong, however if it turns out to be user error then I'd be charged for a diagnostic. Whoa! How could a diagnostic determine user error? Could it specify the user error? I seem to be the only one who has this problem, according to them. I'm hoping that this Forum will help me track down others who are experiencing this problem, and if so how they got it fixed. I can't see how this can be user error. Or if it is, can someone please tell me how to correct it? Should the dealer be able to show me the error and how to correct it? I've considered the scorched earth option of removing my phone from the vehicle and the vehicle from my phone bluetooth. Then, since you apparently can't remove the app from the phone (uninstall and then reinstall) because it's actually been retained somewhere in the App Store, to to the huge trouble to reset the phone (wipe out everything just as you would if you were turning in the phone) and then start the phone from scratch (probably not restoring from backup as this would negate installing a fresh copy of the Toyota App, I think). Or put another way, how can I got back to day one, and start fresh.

This may be helpful. I have an iPhone XR with all the latest updates and cache cleared (turn it off and then on) regularly. I have the Toyota App installed on my Smart Watch Series 4 (and it also doesn't work). BTW, the "Remote Connect" App had to be removed because it doesn't work with this car. I've discovered one of the hidden key fob secrets: I can remote start the vehicle by clicking the Lock button twice and on the third click holding it down until the running lights flash all around. It's slow and clunky, but works. So the vehicle is capable of being started remotely, but the key fob action has nothing to do with Remote Services/Connect.

I suspect the App is buggy and have sent feedback. No response. Just checked and I have the latest Version 1.0.14 which was supposed to: App Improvements, Performance Improvements, Bug Fixes. The App has only 2.6 Stars rating. I'm going to go ahead and post this, however, I just read the reviews and one from 12/22 indicates he was able to fix it by (see attached screenshot). Later reviews indicate this is not just my problem. I will take it in to have this done (worth a shot) because I wouldn't want to even try this at home. Maybe at least posting this will let others know they are not alone.

·
J.O.A.T, Master of none
'14 Tacoma DC/LB
2,675 Posts
I was going to put a remote start in my ‘18 as I did on my wife’s ‘13 but I don’t see any plug and play units available. I’m guessing it’s because this app is available, but I refuse to pay $8/month for it. Especially if it’s buggy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to put a remote start in my ‘18 as I did on my wife’s ‘13 but I don’t see any plug and play units available. I’m guessing it’s because this app is available, but I refuse to pay $8/month for it. Especially if it’s buggy.
If you can find an after market remote start that actually works to your satisfaction I'd say go for it. You might check your key fob for the possibility that it already has a remote start. For some reason this seems to be information that you have to dig for or discover accidently or word of mouth. So far the promised Remote Connect features sold as part of the Driver Assist Package with Options $5,460 on my 2020 Camry Hybrid XLE using the Remote Connect App huge source of frustration. It's turned out to be at the very least a total disappointment. Promised but not delivered. Apparently (but who knows for sure because it's impossible to get a true answer) it's a problem with the connection between the very secure AT&T network to our cars (new Rav4's included), with not clue to when it will be fixed. And since this must be an extremely low priority and on the level of rocket science I'm doubtful that it will ever work as advertised. All sales final, sucka! At this point I'll have to rely on the remote start that I found out can be performed with my key fob. However, it's slow and takes real effort with the car directly in sight to actually work. Check out the recent reviews for the Toyota App (the one with 2.6 stars) and you'll get a feel for how angry and unhappy we with the affected cars are. The app reviews was the only place that I could find out that I'm not the only one and there are many more. Toyota just doesn't care.
What surprises me is that trying all the search engines I couldn't find anything about this problem. How does Toyota manage to keep this such a closely guarded secret? I'm also surprised to get just one (your) reply on this forum. Unable to find any other forum that discuss this problem.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,388 Posts
have you tried disconnecting the car battery for 15-20 minutes and trying the app again?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
have you tried disconnecting the car battery for 15-20 minutes and trying the app again?
No I haven't. That was suggested as a fix, but not only is that out of my skill set, I have a feeling it really won't work. If it was a solution I think (but who knows!) when you call the Toyota Experience Center with this complaint (and they are very familiar with it) they would direct you to make an appointment at the dealership/service dept for them to do it. I can't tell you how much I wish the old "master reset" would be the solution.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,388 Posts
No I haven't. That was suggested as a fix, but not only is that out of my skill set, I have a feeling it really won't work. If it was a solution I think (but who knows!) when you call the Toyota Experience Center with this complaint (and they are very familiar with it) they would direct you to make an appointment at the dealership/service dept for them to do it. I can't tell you how much I wish the old "master reset" would be the solution.
It's the solution that Toyota passed on to the dealers.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
At last. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have an appointment set for tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it will work. Sadly, this had to come from you and not Toyota, Toyota App Developers, Toyota Experience Center, Beechmont Toyota Service Dept. or the sales person that I bombarded with requests for help. I notice the date is 1/29/20, may or may not have anything to do with when I called, but disappointed that I was not contacted. The Service Dept said they were familiar with this fix and it has been successful for some. Overall, I am hugely disappointed in the dealership sales and service and I will not be a return customer. However, I really love my new 2020 Camry Hybrid XLE.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far, so good. Last Monday I went to the dealer/service department and they were familiar with this bulletin. So the CDM was reset by the procedure in the bulletin. So far, it is working, but was told this was not the big fix, but I'm happy to be able to use the Remote Services App so I can do the remote start, lock, unlock door, get notifications (vehicle started, doors unlocked, etc). The technician warned that the Apple Watch App might not work, but I'm glad to report that I've used it successfully a couple of times. Also, the status notifications do come up on the Watch (so convenient when you don't want to dig your phone out). It was so nice to be able to use the Remote Connect the other morning when when I didn't have to deal with the frost and light snow. Yes, the vehicle turns off after 10 minutes (a good thing, because that should be adequate and I wouldn't want it to run it longer if I was delayed or forgot), and yes, it turns off as you open the door (another good thing so that if a thief spots the vehicle running, even if he could get in, the car would now be off). Great application, poor delivery. Fingers crossed it stays fixed. BTW, I really love my 2020 Camry Hybrid XLE!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts