Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
According to the 2020 Corolla Hatchback Navigation and Multimedia Manual, it will have android auto. Here is the pdf so you can see it yourselves, https://docdro.id/qv6AjY9.

There is no 2021 Corolla sedan manual out but most likely it will be getting it as well.

It's still not confirmed if the 2019 hatchback and 2020 sedan will get an update to get android auto but hopefully it will.

·
Registered
465 Posts
If there is a retrofit available, would you pay to get it? I think if the hardware is there for CarPlay, adding Android Auto should be just a firmware upgrade.

On the other hand, I have been receiving regular monthly updates on the Entune unit (I have the DCM equipped radio).

·
straight cash homie
19,630 Posts
Android Auto just got updated and it looks way better in functionality as well, so timing is everything.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If there is a retrofit available, would you pay to get it? I think if the hardware is there for CarPlay, adding Android Auto should be just a firmware upgrade.

On the other hand, I have been receiving regular monthly updates on the Entune unit (I have the DCM equipped radio).
When Toyota released the carplay update retrofit for 2018 Camry/Sienna back in May 2019, the cost was around 60 dollars but some dealers were charging more than 100 dollars. Other dealers were doing it for free.

·
G3omanser
17 Posts
Man this sucks. I just bought my Corolla Hatchback yesterday and I refuse to use an iPhone. Now I'm really hoping they'll do an OTA update on the head unit. Worst case, we might have to pick up a 2020 head unit and swap it assuming the connectors are the same.

·
Registered
21 Posts
According to the 2020 Corolla Hatchback Navigation and Multimedia Manual, it will have android auto. Here is the pdf so you can see it yourselves, https://docdro.id/qv6AjY9.

There is no 2021 Corolla sedan manual out but most likely it will be getting it as well.

It's still not confirmed if the 2019 hatchback and 2020 sedan will get an update to get android auto but hopefully it will.
Nice catch. Where did you find the manual? I think I'm going to wait till the 2020MY hatchback comes out before pulling the trigger. Trying to figure out when the 2020s are actually going to be available.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even if it's $100, it's worth it as I'm sure it'll increase the value of the car by more than $100. People are literally buying other makes because of the lack of AA. I wouldn't try and sell mine without it if it's available.

·
Registered
167 Posts
As far as I understand the new hatchback/ sedan are using the same headunit seen in the '19 hatchback. So a usb software update is likely on the horizon. There are rumors AA update is planned for 2020.

I've been adding android auto news and rumors to this thread if your interested in additional info.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Man this sucks. I just bought my Corolla Hatchback yesterday and I refuse to use an iPhone. Now I'm really hoping they'll do an OTA update on the head unit. Worst case, we might have to pick up a 2020 head unit and swap it assuming the connectors are the same.
I just spoke with a moron at my local toyota dealership who was positive that was not possible, I'm pretty sure he was totally ignorant about the subject and wouldn't admit it. He also said it is 100% impossible to ever get android auto on the '19 hatchback.

·
Registered
2019 TCHB XSE
9 Posts
My local dealer here in NC indicated it would be a free dealer update once the 2020 hatchback drops. Similar to the Camry / Sienna 2019 head unit updates.

·
Registered
167 Posts
My local dealer here in NC indicated it would be a free dealer update once the 2020 hatchback drops. Similar to the Camry / Sienna 2019 head unit updates.
I sure hope this is the case, lack android auto is the one thing I do not like about my hatchback

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,101 Posts
That's funny. I had heard that Toyota might be doing upgrades for older cars like my 2017 RAV4 and Corolla iM allowing CarPlay to be added. I'm not holding my breath but I'll never go back to an Android phone after going to an iPhone from using Android phones for years. I'm not one of those that gets caught up in these things but my reasoning is that my iPhones have been much more reliable and lasted a lot longer. Interestingly enough I've been told that from many different people at various phone stores even if they prefer an Android phone. To each their own but it's the same reason I love my Toyotas, they are reliable and just work better. ;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's funny. I had heard that Toyota might be doing upgrades for older cars like my 2017 RAV4 and Corolla iM allowing CarPlay to be added. I'm not holding my breath but I'll never go back to an Android phone after going to an iPhone from using Android phones for years. I'm not one of those that gets caught up in these things but my reasoning is that my iPhones have been much more reliable and lasted a lot longer. Interestingly enough I've been told that from many different people at various phone stores even if they prefer an Android phone. To each their own but it's the same reason I love my Toyotas, they are reliable and just work better. ;)
Im the oppisite, was using iphone since the first version up until the 6. Then I switched to android when Apple starting jacking up there prices to a point I couldn't justify it. Apple was caught dead pushing updates to older devices to make them run slow to entice people to buy their new phones (did this with their laptop line as well). They have claimed they stopped but I still don't trust them. I also like the customization of android and the lower cost and various options in terms of manufacturers. Nothing wrong with iphones, these days both are great. So it starts to come down to what eco system do you want to have in your life, the apple one or google. In the case of our cars, they only support the apple ecosystem for the time being but it hopefully opens up to android auto as well in the near future.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Im the oppisite, was using iphone since the first version up until the 6. Then I switched to android when Apple starting jacking up there prices to a point I couldn't justify it. Apple was caught dead pushing updates to older devices to make them run slow to entice people to buy their new phones (did this with their laptop line as well). They have claimed they stopped but I still don't trust them. I also like the customization of android and the lower cost and various options in terms of manufacturers. Nothing wrong with iphones, these days both are great. So it starts to come down to what eco system do you want to have in your life, the apple one or google. In the case of our cars, they only support the apple ecosystem for the time being but it hopefully opens up to android auto as well in the near future.
I was an Android user from the start, and then about two years ago I went to iPhone so to match my work phone. After using it as a personal phone for about a year I went back Android - I chalked that one to poor judgement on my behalf :p

Same with cars, I was a GM guy for a loooong time and then I bought, my first, Japan built car (was a Nissan) and never looked back after that :geek:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Older devices have older batteries. Older batteries aren't as stable as new batteries. So yea they throttled/slowed the older phones to run with the decreased voltage of the older batteries so the phone would run stable. Replace the battery and you got peak performance back. I dont think they ever claimed they stopped this but now they give you a choice.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,089 Posts
Funny story. I visited the Apple store not too long ago. Inquired about the camera issue on the iphone6. Was informed that apple won't support iPhone 6 after next update.

Sales tactic. Denied repair but had the camera repaired anyways. They just want to sell a new one anyways.

This just shows the public how apple runs their ecosystem. Not surprised that apple doesn't want Android to run off the same head unit.

At what point will 2 ecosystems coexist? We aren't playing Monopoly anymore.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,101 Posts
Funny story. I visited the Apple store not too long ago. Inquired about the camera issue on the iphone6. Was informed that apple won't support iPhone 6 after next update.

Sales tactic. Denied repair but had the camera repaired anyways. They just want to sell a new one anyways.

This just shows the public how apple runs their ecosystem. Not surprised that apple doesn't want Android to run off the same head unit.

At what point will 2 ecosystems coexist? We aren't playing Monopoly anymore.
When it comes to phones most people don't keep one longer than 3 years, especially younger people that want the latest tech. I see very few iPhone 6's as those came out so long ago now. The iPhone 6 is now 5 years old and the 6+ is 4 years old. Both are still supported. Even the 5S which is 6 years old is still supported and that is the oldest supported iPhone. Since cell phones are mobile they take a beating, hence why most people never have the same phone more than 3-4 years at the most. Plus the cameras keep improving and people use that feature a lot.

If I designed a product I would want to run it as Apple does too. They have more consistent quality since things are designed in house instead of by many different companies. Interesting enough I just watched the movie on Steve Jobs this week and it was amazing seeing things from that point. The man was truly inventive and brilliant. The computer world owes a lot to him for thinking out of the box and insisting on selling only quality products and not just trying to make things cheaper to hit a price point. That being said many android phones cost just as much as iPhones.

I used to own PC's but I got tired of all of the patches and crap that was always needing fixing. When my Dell laptop died when I had gone back to school I started asking around on what people thought I should get. The interesting part is that everyone that owned a MacBook loved it, every single person. People that owned a PC seemed to not care much. That shocked me. I had never owned an Apple computer of any kind but I decided to try one anyway. It was so much easier to use and just worked, and worked well. That's why I buy Toyotas! My favorite feature though is that when I do something on my MacBook or iPhone it updates my other Apple products. Simply brilliant. :)

Just my 2 cents. I'm not a computer guy so I just like products that are easy to use and work. And work well for a long time.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,089 Posts
When it comes to phones most people don't keep one longer than 3 years, especially younger people that want the latest tech. I see very few iPhone 6's as those came out so long ago now. The iPhone 6 is now 5 years old and the 6+ is 4 years old. Both are still supported. Even the 5S which is 6 years old is still supported and that is the oldest supported iPhone. Since cell phones are mobile they take a beating, hence why most people never have the same phone more than 3-4 years at the most. Plus the cameras keep improving and people use that feature a lot.

If I designed a product I would want to run it as Apple does too. They have more consistent quality since things are designed in house instead of by many different companies. Interesting enough I just watched the movie on Steve Jobs this week and it was amazing seeing things from that point. The man was truly inventive and brilliant. The computer world owes a lot to him for thinking out of the box and insisting on selling only quality products and not just trying to make things cheaper to hit a price point. That being said many android phones cost just as much as iPhones.

I used to own PC's but I got tired of all of the patches and crap that was always needing fixing. When my Dell laptop died when I had gone back to school I started asking around on what people thought I should get. The interesting part is that everyone that owned a MacBook loved it, every single person. People that owned a PC seemed to not care much. That shocked me. I had never owned an Apple computer of any kind but I decided to try one anyway. It was so much easier to use and just worked, and worked well. That's why I buy Toyotas! My favorite feature though is that when I do something on my MacBook or iPhone it updates my other Apple products. Simply brilliant. :)

Just my 2 cents. I'm not a computer guy so I just like products that are easy to use and work. And work well for a long time.
Welp, the wife can't justify paying the going rates. We used to enjoy the subsidized pricing. Not even the current offers persuade her to upgrade. I think it's a design thing. She prefers her i6.

Granted, apple has the best ecosystem. Though, I disagree with how expensive new phones are becoming. I am finding myself keeping my device a whole time longer. That's the price we pay for the best tech.

I'd go with aftermarket Android unit here. But then again, the float screen isn't readily affordable yet.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,101 Posts
Welp, the wife can't justify paying the going rates. We used to enjoy the subsidized pricing. Not even the current offers persuade her to upgrade. I think it's a design thing. She prefers her i6.

Granted, apple has the best ecosystem. Though, I disagree with how expensive new phones are becoming. I am finding myself keeping my device a whole time longer. That's the price we pay for the best tech.

I'd go with aftermarket Android unit here. But then again, the float screen isn't readily affordable yet.
I used to have Android phones for many years but they always seemed to give me problems. When the iPhone was finally available on T-mobile I switched after I got frustrated with the android. I liked it more right away. I'm the same way though as I don't upgrade just to upgrade like some people. At least most phones can be bought interest-free over 2 years. I'm with you though about the price of these things. Most other electronics have dropped a lot over the years while cell phones just keep getting more expensive. I don't understand why.

I have to have a smartphone for work but after I retire I might like being less available. haha

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,089 Posts
With the on going tariff battle, likely the price of the Apple products will rise as they shift production elsewhere to get around the tariff. We shall see.

1 - 20 of 144 Posts