Toyota Nation Forum banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102, 2018 ZRE182
1,948 Posts
Not sure how relevant the Australian retrofit of AA/AC is for North America, as we don't use Entune (at least I'm not sure that the 12th gen hatch does, the 11th gen hatch definitely doesn't)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fingers crossed they bring AA to the US too. Has there ever been a similar situation where AU got a retrofit before the US? If so how long did that take?

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #108 (Edited)
Fingers crossed they bring AA to the US too. Has there ever been a similar situation where AU got a retrofit before the US? If so how long did that take?
Well, it took 9 months for Toyota to release a carplay retrofit on the 2018 camry/sienna and 2018-2019 lexus vehicles. This was only in North America though. Both Canada and Mexico released the retrofit on the same day as the states.

I've been looking around other website forums and apparently countries like Spain, Estonia and the netherlands are getting the carplay/android retrofit around may/june 2020. Haven't seen anything on the news about it but that's what they are saying.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Not sure how relevant the Australian retrofit of AA/AC is for North America, as we don't use Entune (at least I'm not sure that the 12th gen hatch does, the 11th gen hatch definitely doesn't)
New generation cars all use entune 3.0. I looked at the camry, rav4 and corolla hatchback reviews in austrialia and the system does use the same one that North America uses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the corolla xse 2020 sedan version. I've contacted toyota and their reply was:
Dear Mr. Soto,

Thank you for taking time to contact Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. and we appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry regarding the inclusion of Android Auto® in our vehicles.

While Toyota strives to innovate and look for ways to include new technology in our vehicles, Toyota has not announced an Android Auto® retrofit strategy at this time. We certainly appreciate your inquiry and interest. You can sign up for the latest updates with our RSS Feeds and/or receive email alerts when new information is posted in the Toyota USA Newsroom.
This really sucks!!! 😒

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the corolla xse 2020 sedan version. I've contacted toyota and their reply was:

This really sucks!!! 😒
Yeah.. maybe if enough of us bug them they will do something about it. I'm actually a bit confused what they have to loose by doing it. I mean they are still charging us and a lot would be willing to pay for it so?...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yeah.. maybe if enough of us bug them they will do something about it. I'm actually a bit confused what they have to loose by doing it. I mean they are still charging us and a lot would be willing to pay for it so?...
I'm confused as well. Wondering if there was some kind of exclusive use deal with existing software vendor for the 2019 head unit.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,101 Posts
I was told that Toyota would be offering a CarPlay update for my 2017 Corolla iM when I bought it. I'm not holding my breath. :rolleyes:

·
straight cash homie
19,630 Posts
New generation cars all use entune 3.0. I looked at the camry, rav4 and corolla hatchback reviews in austrialia and the system does use the same one that North America uses.
Owners here need to relax. The update will happen eventually but Toyota USA just likes keep owners up at night and even their dealers too are clueless on this until they're available. Toyota is in no position to be like BMW and Porsche and not offer AA on their cars nowadays.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,101 Posts
Is that why you got it for only $13.5k? :LOL: after rebates of course
The 2018 was exactly the same car and they were starting to ship. That's why buying a car at model change over is always the best time. :p

I actually didn't even ask about it since I didn't care but they told me that would happen. I just bring it up to add to the conversation. :unsure:

·
straight cash homie
19,630 Posts
The 2018 was exactly the same car and they were starting to ship. That's why buying a car at model change over is always the best time. :p

I actually didn't even ask about it since I didn't care but they told me that would happen. I just bring it up to add to the conversation. :unsure:
They were lying to you lol...probably because the question came up a lot in their sales discussions because at the time, none of the Corollas/Camrys had the tech yet.

·
Diehard Rams Fan
21,101 Posts
They were lying to you lol...probably because the question came up a lot in their sales discussions because at the time, none of the Corollas/Camrys had the tech yet.
They said that they had been told by Toyota USA that the 2017 and newer models would all be able to be upgraded. As I said I didn't care. If CarPlay does what my iPhone does I'll just plug in my iPhone. Boom. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
'19 Corolla HB
54 Posts

For what it's worth, Toyota lists the head unit for the 2019 (no AA) and 2020 (yes AA) Corolla HB as the same part. Maybe there's hope? Who knows.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
7,092 Posts
It's terrible that Toyota doesn't feel the need to add AA. They could benefit also from doing this also, but it might have something to do with licensing or other legal issues.

But there's one in the industry doing this type of retrofit.

They are going as far as the 2016 MY and are offering both software and hardware kit. Some will pay, while others won't if it's 2 MYs or later. They plan to charge as little as 199$. Sounds expensive, but why not just change it?

For many, they don't like having to replace it soley for the feature. But doing the upgrade would be better as it retains the factory look.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts