Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know when the Camry production cuts over from the 2019 to the 2020? I want to special order a 2020 Camry XSE and the dealers act like they don’t know because I think they are more motivated to sell me a 2019. Any info is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know when the Camry production cuts over from the 2019 to the 2020? I want to special order a 2020 Camry XSE and the dealers act like they don’t know because I think they are more motivated to sell me a 2019. Any info is greatly appreciated.
I work at a dealer. How would we know when Toyota is building 2020's, or any car for that matter?

It's not like they tell us of their corporate decisions. We are not Toyota. Just a dealer.

Think about it. Do you go into any random subway store (which is a franchise store) and start asking them about what subway corporate is doing? How would they know?

Do you go into a franchise restaurant and ask when corporate is going to make a new menu? How would they know?

They how would your dealer, or any dealer, know ANYTHING about what a giant corporation has plans on, their timelines, or anything else?

You know when the dealer finds out the 2020's are available? When the truck shows up with one on it.

(Technically there are tools that can show allocation, and what is on the way, but even then it is VERY broad, and the dates are not static - but even then it's a matter of "hey, the tool says a 2020's coming! Holy crap! Cant wait to see it!)

The only one who knows when something is coming is toyota. Not your dealer. They are not Toyota. They are a dealer.

And why would they be motivated to sell a 2019? Make a grand off a 2019, or a grand off a 2020. What difference does it make which you buy? Dealer doesn't care.

·
Registered
392 Posts
And why would they be motivated to sell a 2019? Make a grand off a 2019, or a grand off a 2020. What difference does it make which you buy? Dealer doesn't care.
Of course a dealer would rather sell a 2019 to you now, because they won't make the same on a 2019 once the 2020s start showing up. Which is why even if they did know when the 2020s were coming, it's in their best interest not to disclose it because it could cannibalize sales of the 2019s.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I disagree.
Invoice is roughly the same between the 2. (Using Corolla as an example as the 2020 Camry isnt out yet)

1k under invoice is 1k under invoice. Regardless of year.
Profit is the same, who cares which year it is, dealer/profit wise?

And as everyone knows, any decent toyota dealer worth their salt sells under.

I'll hang on to an 18/19 until it sells. And usually, it's rare to have one left over to begin with.

I see no reason to sell an 18/19 at a loss simply because of a number.

IMO, the "leftover" myth of a huge discount simply because of a model year difference is a huge fallacy, an old wive's tale.

Of course, there are other, unfair dealers out there selling on their own number's scheme, which may be different. And those greedy, profit-mongering dealers may discount an old model year. They are marking it up so high that they can.

Have a dealer like that, then maybe it's time to find a better one.

·
Registered
433 Posts
IMO, the "leftover" myth of a huge discount simply because of a model year difference is a huge fallacy, an old wive's tale.
Given two identically equipped Camrys on the lot, one from MY 2019 and one MY 2020, why would a buyer choose the former without some sort of pricing incentive?

I do agree, though, that it's not unreasonable for 1) a salesperson to try to sell what they have today (which is the 2019s); and 2) not be ready to take a customer order for the 2020.

As far as what dealers know -- it likely depends where you are in the dealer's organization. Toyota doesn't host those large dealer conferences just to share stuff they've released via their public pressroom.

There's a tricky balance with how much future information you provide to salespeople (not just car sales, but in general). It's not just for competitive reasons with the less people knowing, the tighter the control, but also focus. Having tons of interest in a product you can't sell means nothing for the dealership if you're not selling the product that you have today.

My question for the OP would be why is a "special order" needed? We don't know of any changes yet, other than the TRD model that was announced, so why does it have to be a 2020 special order other than timing?

·
Registered
98 Posts
My question for the OP would be why is a "special order" needed? We don't know of any changes yet, other than the TRD model that was announced, so why does it have to be a 2020 special order other than timing?
That's my curiosity as well. Typically there's only 2 updates to a vehicle's lineup: New generation and refresh. Of course, every once in awhile a minor update may be added such as 2019's came standard with Apple Carplay but obviously we know how much of a difference that made in the end when actually comparing the 2019 and 2018s. If you're holding out for a major update to the Camry, you're gonna have to wait till at least the 2021 model. Possibly even 2022.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. And to the others curiosity as why I want to order one, I know there are no changes to the model so there is no issue with that. I didn’t think the production cut over date was such a big secret, they actually do this every year...and probably around the same time. It is a factory after all. As to the Subway scenario...I guess I am the type of buyer that figures if you make a fresh sandwich every time around the same time every year, I want the Freshest sandwich with just the ingredients I want and without any other fingers on it. I do not want more or less, I don’t want it brought from some other store with who knows what in between. I just want what I want and willing to pay for it and wait for it. Just didn’t think it was a big deal. Thanks again!

·
Registered
433 Posts
As to the Subway scenario...I guess I am the type of buyer that figures if you make a fresh sandwich every time around the same time every year, I want the Freshest sandwich with just the ingredients I want and without any other fingers on it. I do not want more or less, I don’t want it brought from some other store with who knows what in between. I just want what I want and willing to pay for it and wait for it. Just didn’t think it was a big deal. Thanks again!
I don’t think it is a big deal too. Just like your local Subway won’t take your order today for a sandwich to be picked up in September, you’ll need to wait until your dealer starts taking orders for the 2020.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That’s the information I was looking for, Thanks. I am planning on using the Costco Car buying discount, not sure if this is the best approach at the best price. I just want a decent deal but don’t want to overpay. Any info is greatly appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts