Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
straight cash homie
20,220 Posts
He does do I good job of recommending the HL Platinum as a good choice, even if it's a suddle recommendation, and not saying, like many others "Be sure to give the KIA / Hyundai" a drive, I think you'll love them and like purchase one, as they are nicer blah, blah, blah. He's fighting not saying it …
Raiti tends not to compare brands against each other, that's not his thing IMO (You don't get press vehicles if you are overtly negative). The new vid I just posted from Redline does do comparison against the Telly, and you will definitely see the other publications doing it like Edmunds, cars.com and MT of course.

Joe drove the Telluride too at the media drive and he also had good things to say as well. I think obviously, its up to the buyer to decide which one they should spend their money on. So if I was shopping a Highlander, I wouldn't discount the competition. But I think Toyota kept the Highlander competitive so I think buyers should be happy with what they get. With the way things are going at Toyota, they sacrificed some other vehicles (cough Lexus GS, etc.) so they could pour money into the products more people wanted.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
448 Posts

This is the same results as damn near all comparisons. I wonder what if anything Toyota will do in the next revision to combat this?

While it could be good for Toyota folks, I'm not sure how they will make it bigger, give it more features, and bring the price down a few thousand dollars? We have to assume (shame on us), that in the 2 years or so that will pass before they do anything, Kia / Hyundi will also make changes.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I personally thing the HL is the right size vs the others being a bit too big.

·
Registered
106 Posts

Exactly. I bought it because it was right size among other things. I have Durango it's too big and I owned 2019 rav4 which was a bit small for a family.

·
straight cash homie
20,220 Posts
No vehicle is one size fits all, its up to you to see if it works for you or not. In the US market, size is everything for the segment. I even thought the last generation Explorer was small.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts

All and all I pretty good review. I think Toyota has this year to gloat about higher MPG with the Hybrid (if even the year), before the others add this to their lineup. Then it's not going to be so good for them. Sales of the other brands WILL start tapping into their numbers pretty big time.

They will no longer be the big boys on the block.

Sales to date: (I don't see a breakdown, but we know there can't be many hybrids yet). #2, is great, and this number will grow once hybrids have hit market. 3rd place (in my view) is coming on strong, and I must admit, I would have thought their number would have been much bigger based on the hype. So in the end it will be 2020 sales for the whole year that will be telling … or not.

Ford Explorer 56,309
Highlander 47,890
Hyundai Palisade & Telluride (17,000 & 16,800 = 33,800)

·
Registered
3 Posts
The new Kia Sorento Hybrid for 2021 on a new platform will be one of the Hi Hy's top competitors. While details are still sparse its interior & tech look terrific. Assuming its back seat / cargo space and MPG can come close to or beat the Hi Hy, it will dull the the Hi Hy's luster. I think there a quite a few out there who want a 3rd row option but not something as large as the Korean twins. Those folks will be comparing the Hi HY and Sedona H.
Personally I'm looking for a replacement for my 2015 Outback that has similar exterior dimensions, can meet or beat the OB's space and utility, have a 3rd row option, and use less gas. On paper, the Sorento has the edge for me at this point.

·
Registered
448 Posts
The new Kia Sorento Hybrid for 2021 on a new platform will be one of the Hi Hy's top competitors. While details are still sparse its interior & tech look terrific. Assuming its back seat / cargo space and MPG can come close to or beat the Hi Hy, it will dull the the Hi Hy's luster. I think there a quite a few out there who want a 3rd row option but not something as large as the Korean twins. Those folks will be comparing the Hi HY and Sedona H.
Personally I'm looking for a replacement for my 2015 Outback that has similar exterior dimensions, can meet or beat the OB's space and utility, have a 3rd row option, and use less gas. On paper, the Sorento has the edge for me at this point.
I would agree

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
904 Posts
The Highlander Hybrid has some significant advantages. Toyota hybrids have a stellar reputation based on experience if nothing else. The hybrid technology is clearly superior in terms of efficiency. The two questions people ask the most when they are thinking of going hybrid is “What is the MPG?” and “How reliable is it?” The fact that Toyota is also matching or exceeding the transferable warranty on the hybrid components also helps.

Finally, there’s the Highlander market share combined with the existing brand loyalty that allows Toyota to do just enough to keep its customers without having to wow them with price or features.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

141 - 160 of 161 Posts