Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum, thanks in advance for your help.
My Highlander lease is up and I am looking to purchase the new Highlander Hybrid.

Compared to standard v6 engine really, how good the MPG is?

I don't trust Toyota numbers so if you could share with me, that would be great.

Thanks,
GL

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hum, mine is to new and not driven far enough to advise though I believe you can trust their numbers. My 2016 prius got stupid great mpg and I will be happy with this 36mpg suv.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Only owned for five days and with the corono virus I haven't been doing a lot of driving but trips I have taken seem to indicate mid 30's around town to be no problem even with cold starts as long as you drive a couple of miles. Longest trip so far was the first day of ownership - 20 miles to pick up dinner to go from a favorite restaurant - and I averaged over 40 mpg over secondary roads that included stop and go and varying terrain. I've been using the eco mode and find performance more than adequate for around town. I've only driven on high speed freeways a couple of miles so far so what find of fuel economy it gets on long trips at 70 mph remains to be seen but 90% of my driving will be on secondary roads around town so I'm happy with the results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only owned for five days and with the corono virus I haven't been doing a lot of driving but trips I have taken seem to indicate mid 30's around town to be no problem even with cold starts as long as you drive a couple of miles. Longest trip so far was the first day of ownership - 20 miles to pick up dinner to go from a favorite restaurant - and I averaged over 40 mpg over secondary roads that included stop and go and varying terrain. I've been using the eco mode and find performance more than adequate for around town. I've only driven on high speed freeways a couple of miles so far so what find of fuel economy it gets on long trips at 70 mph remains to be seen but 90% of my driving will be on secondary roads around town so I'm happy with the results.
Thanks guys .

·
Registered
607 Posts
One thing I noticed today that might bode well for highway mileage.

With the Gen 3 Highlander Hybrid you could get up to about 40 mph in EV mode before the ICE would kick in. While traveling on a 55 mph stretch today my 2020 Highlander Hybrid was still in EV mode providing propulsion at 55 mph. Not sure what the top speed is now for EV mode. This is not the push button mode for EV but the normal operation when the EV light on the dash comes on to show electric propulsion only.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Top speed for EV mode in the 2020 appears to be about 75 mph, which is a bit higher than a Prius (73). I made a 67-mile mostly highway trip today and got 34.6 mpg (AWD). City mpg seems to be higher.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Top speed for EV mode in the 2020 appears to be about 75 mph, which is a bit higher than a Prius (73). I made a 67-mile mostly highway trip today and got 34.6 mpg (AWD). City mpg seems to be higher.
Did you find this out by driving or is there some actual documentation about 75 mph top speed with EV? I'd be interested to see if there is some tech info out there. Looking a the vehicle certification label on the driver's door jamb I can tell the the 2020 Highlander Hybrid has a P810 trans-axle - my 2017 had a P310 - but I cant seem to find any specs for the P810 anywhere.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I noticed it while driving. EV indicator comes on at 75 mph, if only for a brief second. I've also read this in reviews of older generations of HiHy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My recent trips have all been in the 40+ mpgs. Will be able to confirm once I fill the tank for the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
Did you find this out by driving or is there some actual documentation about 75 mph top speed with EV? I'd be interested to see if there is some tech info out there. Looking a the vehicle certification label on the driver's door jamb I can tell the the 2020 Highlander Hybrid has a P810 trans-axle - my 2017 had a P310 - but I cant seem to find any specs for the P810 anywhere.
I've reached 79 mph in EV mode, but only while coasting. It's pretty amazing that this beats the Prius by 6 mph. Any press of the gas pedal will cause the ICE to kick in above about 65 mph. However, I've never achieved 40 mpg (best was 39.0) on any trip over about 5 miles, and I've driven over 230k miles in Toyota/Lexus hybrids and have done well on mpg. I have AWD and the roof rack cross bars. I really wonder if the cross bars are lowering my MPG significantly. I do know they make some wind noise. I hate to remove them but it might come to that.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
902 Posts
I'm still lacking an understanding of how the real-time fuel economy on the dash is calculated. Is it actually based on a fuel flow measurement or is it an estimate based on engine activity? I believe that the per-tank and the per-trip fuel economy can be calculated by measuring the fuel level in the tank but there's no way that fuel tank level can be used to tell you that you are getting 50 mpg going down a hill.

For real-time readings, you either have to know exactly how much fuel is being used or estimate it. Measurements of fuel economy like on Mythbusters use precise flowmeters and estimate fuel economy over something like 20 miles . Somehow, I don't think cars include precise flowmeters that can tell you what your actual mpg is over that 1 mile stretch so my guess is that is all estimated and not based on actual flow. If so, does it really mean anything when the computer tells you you are averaging 32 mpg going down the highway?

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, AWD LE
6 Posts
I have owned a 2020 Hybrid LE for about 3 weeks now, and I have around 450 miles driven on it. I have noticed that when being conservative with the gas and coasting as much as possible, I can get around 38 MPG more or less. Keep in mind that I do not usually let my gas tank drop below 1/2 way. If I do drive with more power and in sport mode, I have gotten around 32 MPG. And that’s still pretty good in my book.

Below is a photo I took after a drive on and off the highway of about 15-20 miles

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
Here's a photo of my info.

After about two weeks of 301.4 miles I'm averaging 43.2 miles. This was all done doing many individual trips all on secondary roads - would probably never come close to this on the interstates. After 300 miles I'm still showing a bit over half a tank but what I don't really understand is the 211 miles to empty. I believe I can go much farther that that if I continue with the same type of driving. When I filled up two weeks ago after the first half tank or so where I getting 40 mpg it only read less than 400 miles to empty (EDIT - number could have been more than 400 as I'm second guessing my memory now but still no 600) so there's some discrepancy there. The number just didn't go down as fast as I was putting on the miles so that's why I believe I'll get more than the 211 DTE listed if I continue to get the same mpg results. I know that RAV4 owners have a problem with filling the tank and not getting the range they expect but that's not what's going on here. When the tank is full the needle doesn't move off the "F" for over the first 100 miles whereas the RAV4 never reads full.
43_2.jpg

·
Registered
145 Posts
Looks about right for not being on an interstate. If you go above 70 mph, you will do well to average 32-33 mpg. But, in my experience, no SUV gets its EPA Highway rating. The needle not moving from full for the first 100 miles is almost to be expected on any car, especially if you fill it until gas is about to spill out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I see the same behavior. The first 100 - 125 miles stay on full.

Also, the range I have got for most of my tanks is 480 miles. I agree that I should be able to go further than that though. Simple 36 mpg X 17 gal is 612 miles. I think the car is projecting a lower number for some reason.

Someone needs to test the “E” in this SUV for us :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll run mine until it says a few miles to empty and fill it up and report back with number of gallons until (1) pump shut off, and (2) it won't hold any more gas without spilling out. If I run out, I'll call AAA. Haha.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts