Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just wondering if any new owners of the 4th gen highlander has experienced some of the issues i have.

Traded in my 2017 RAV4 hybrid limited for the new 2020 Highlander Hybrid platinum.... Have to say I'm very disappointed in the build quality of this vehicle so far...

First issue is regarding the driver side windshield wiper... When in operation the motor hits the plastic drainguard(don't know what it's called) that covers the actual motor.... Dealer saw it happen on other Highlanders as well and said they will send it to Toyota Canada's engineering team.

Second issue is the driver side mirror vibrates at highway speeds (80 km/h or more)

Third issue is Excessive whistling noise distinct from normal wind noise ( from speeds 60 km/h and above)

Fourth issue is the steering wheel not being properly centered when driving straight...

Coming from the RAV4 with virtually no problems other than the master brake module that needed replacement... Seems like there is a big quality difference between the vehicles being made in Japan and the ones coming from the US.... Quite disappointing so far... Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these problems

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Trust me, rav4s have even more issues. Mine was recently bought back by Toyota. It was Japanese build.

I do hear some whistling noise but it's not bad. I thought could be the crossbars might be causing it

·
8,059 Posts
If you have roof rack, loose or misaligned crossbar indeed can raise havoc.
Dealer should address cock eyed steering wheel. I had CR-V new from dealer that way. I finally fixed it myself - it was tire with conicity problem and uneven pressure in tires.
Wiper can be rather easily adjusted. Removed and skipped up one notch. Plastic piece is called cowl.

Of course, surely, it is annoying. After all, it's a lot of money and expectations to have such nuisance annoyance.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just wondering if any new owners of the 4th gen highlander has experienced some of the issues i have.

Traded in my 2017 RAV4 hybrid limited for the new 2020 Highlander Hybrid platinum.... Have to say I'm very disappointed in the build quality of this vehicle so far...

First issue is regarding the driver side windshield wiper... When in operation the motor hits the plastic drainguard(don't know what it's called) that covers the actual motor.... Dealer saw it happen on other Highlanders as well and said they will send it to Toyota Canada's engineering team.

Second issue is the driver side mirror vibrates at highway speeds (80 km/h or more)

Third issue is Excessive whistling noise distinct from normal wind noise ( from speeds 60 km/h and above)

Fourth issue is the steering wheel not being properly centered when driving straight...

Coming from the RAV4 with virtually no problems other than the master brake module that needed replacement... Seems like there is a big quality difference between the vehicles being made in Japan and the ones coming from the US.... Quite disappointing so far... Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these problems

Thanks!
Sucks on a brand new vehicle but luckily almost all of your issues are very easily fixable. The wind noise or howling is a mystery though. I have heard of some weatherstrip issues on these new units (driver and passenger side). Maybe thats what it is?

·
Registered
81 Posts
mine has some slight wind noise as well at higher than highway speeds also. Not too bad though.
Also i hear a single tick almost like a body tick when going over bumps high up from the B pillar somewhere by seatbelt. I will have to take out all those panels see if i can isolate it. It almost sounds like the Camry Sunroof noise but a bit quieter and very random.
Is it only one mirror that rattles?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine also has some wind noise. Sometimes at 35-40 mph, I hear a gust of wind from the door. At higher speeds, I sometime hear a whistling noise. I will tell the dealer about this at my 5K maintenance.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Wind noise is normal caracteristic at higher speeds. The Highlander has a double pane glass so since it gets so quiet with little road noise flattering wind noise is more audible

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine has some slight wind noise as well at higher than highway speeds also. Not too bad though.
Also i hear a single tick almost like a body tick when going over bumps high up from the B pillar somewhere by seatbelt. I will have to take out all those panels see if i can isolate it. It almost sounds like the Camry Sunroof noise but a bit quieter and very random.

Yea only the driver side mirror shakes. It almost distorts the image as it's constantly vibrating....

Ours has wind noise which is Normal, but the distinct whistling is quite irritating.

Definitely check the cowl when the wipers are in operation. The dealer confirmed it was happening on other vehicles as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar noise coming from the B pillar/driver door armrest area.
Were you able to find the source?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not yet..today i took the B pillar covers off and retightened the seatbelt bolts and 2 bolts on the top crossmwmber below roof. Driving home i think i still heard it but i did not drive it that much to comfirm

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Platinum - Moon Dust
67 Posts
Trust me, rav4s have even more issues. Mine was recently bought back by Toyota. It was Japanese build.

I do hear some whistling noise but it's not bad. I thought could be the crossbars might be causing it
I guess you should have waited for the PRIME. :p

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum, 2011 Toyota RAV4 LTD, 2004 Toyota Camry LE
2 Posts

Thanks!
I was told by my dealership that Toyota is aware of wind noise issue and it is "normal". There are channels in the molding on the side of the windshield to allow water to drain down. I find it hard to believe Toyota is ok with this issue. The platinum models are listed north of $50,000.00 which seems like a lot of money to put up with the wind noise. Mine seems to be most offensive at highway speeds which just happened to the majority of my daily drive.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Certain amount of wind noise is indeed normal. Not too much. A vehicle will not be 100% wind noise proof but too loud as in unbearable is not. It is a fine line of keeping you happy so you buy another Toyota after.
If they were aware they would have a TSB or working on a fix.
Today we took a Nissan that i failed on safety. It has a knocking noise while turning on parking speeds from steering column. It was very loud. We took it to Nissan and they said it is normal. They all make that noise lmao. Like wtf?!?! That is not right..... either it is true or they do not want to even attempt to replace that steering column
To me that is unacceptable. Wind noise is nothing comparing to that. Shows you how good Toyotas are...

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,704 Posts
I was told by my dealership that Toyota is aware of wind noise issue and it is "normal". There are channels in the molding on the side of the windshield to allow water to drain down. I find it hard to believe Toyota is ok with this issue. The platinum models are listed north of $50,000.00 which seems like a lot of money to put up with the wind noise. Mine seems to be most offensive at highway speeds which just happened to the majority of my daily drive.
That's the problem with buying the top-level trim of any vehicle. Although you might have paid more than $50,000 for your Highlander Platinum, many of the basic parts, switches, seals, and things like mirrors are the exact same as what they put on the base $35,000 Highlanders. So although you might have paid north of $50,000 for your Highlander, you are likely getting the same wind noise that is present on the base models that cost $20,000 less.

My step-dad was a mechanic before he passed away. He gave me (and all of his customers) a great piece of advice... never buy the top trim of any vehicle. Instead, buy the lowest-trim level of the an upmarket competitor. Instead of paying north of $50,000 for a loaded Highlander, that same $50,000 would have bought you one heck of a RX350 or MDX. You might get a few less features but the overall quality and fit and finish is a notch higher than in the Highlander.

It's the same thing with loaded Camrys and Accords. Why buy a $39,000 loaded Camry XLE V6 or $37,000 Accord Touring when the same money could be used to purchase a base ES350 or decently loaded Acura TLX? That ES350 will likely have most of the same features- minus maybe navigation or other small things. It will be a much better car in terms of quality, rattles, and likely wind noise.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum, 2011 Toyota RAV4 LTD, 2004 Toyota Camry LE
2 Posts
Certain amount of wind noise is indeed normal. Not too much. A vehicle will not be 100% wind noise proof but too loud as in unbearable is not. It is a fine line of keeping you happy so you buy another Toyota after.
If they were aware they would have a TSB or working on a fix.
Today we took a Nissan that i failed on safety. It has a knocking noise while turning on parking speeds from steering column. It was very loud. We took it to Nissan and they said it is normal. They all make that noise lmao. Like wtf?!?! That is not right..... either it is true or they do not want to even attempt to replace that steering column
To me that is unacceptable. Wind noise is nothing comparing to that. Shows you how good Toyotas are...
I agree BogdanTo. I have had a 2004 Camry LE and a 2011 RAV4 Limited that had zero issues which is why I stayed with Toyota for this purchase. This is my daily driver (60miles round trip) and dependability is my number one concern (I'm getting old). 100% percent happy with this vehicle, comfortable seats, good ride quality, very low road noise except for the highway wind noise.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Pure preferance... Lexus and Acuras also have wind noise.
That's the problem with buying the top-level trim of any vehicle. Although you might have paid more than $50,000 for your Highlander Platinum, many of the basic parts, switches, seals, and things like mirrors are the exact same as what they put on the base $35,000 Highlanders. So although you might have paid north of $50,000 for your Highlander, you are likely getting the same wind noise that is present on the base models that cost $20,000 less.

My step-dad was a mechanic before he passed away. He gave me (and all of his customers) a great piece of advice... never buy the top trim of any vehicle. Instead, buy the lowest-trim level of the an upmarket competitor. Instead of paying north of $50,000 for a loaded Highlander, that same $50,000 would have bought you one heck of a RX350 or MDX. You might get a few less features but the overall quality and fit and finish is a notch higher than in the Highlander.

It's the same thing with loaded Camrys and Accords. Why buy a $39,000 loaded Camry XLE V6 or $37,000 Accord Touring when the same money could be used to purchase a base ES350 or decently loaded Acura TLX? That ES350 will likely have most of the same features- minus maybe navigation or other small things. It will be a much better car in terms of quality, rattles, and likely wind noise.
Rest assured regardless of brand there are issues. Toyota will not give you better seals for your doors in your Lexus just because you pay 20k more on base price. Wind noise is wind noise. Overall yes Lexus may have more spray on undercarriage insulation or undercarpet noise deadening material or splash shields but a window weatherstrip os a window weatherstripping regardless of overall vehicle price. That component is not a place to really cut corners. I would myself rather have a fully loaded Camry over a bare bones Es350. A Lexus key fob remote would only gives me enjoyment at a restaurant table. A sunroof or panoramic roof in a fully loaded toyota would give me enjoyment 2 hours a day minimum...
Premium brands have their issues as well. No vehicle is perfect. This is why they give you warranty. Just that some brands are better

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,704 Posts
Pure preferance... Lexus and Acuras also have wind noise.

Rest assured regardless of brand there are issues. Toyota will not give you better seals for your doors in your Lexus just because you pay 20k more on base price. Wind noise is wind noise. Overall yes Lexus may have more spray on undercarriage insulation or undercarpet noise deadening material or splash shields but a window weatherstrip os a window weatherstripping regardless of overall vehicle price. That component is not a place to really cut corners. I would myself rather have a fully loaded Camry over a bare bones Es350. A Lexus key fob remote would only gives me enjoyment at a restaurant table. A sunroof or panoramic roof in a fully loaded toyota would give me enjoyment 2 hours a day minimum...
Premium brands have their issues as well. No vehicle is perfect. This is why they give you warranty. Just that some brands are better
While I agree that no car is perfect (and also admit that I've never had the desire to own an Acura or Lexus), you can definately tell the difference between the quality within a Toyota and its Lexus counterpart. Toyota switchgear is usually really good quality. Lexus just seems to be a slight step above them.

As for a weatherstrip being a weatherstrip- that's not necessarily true. That's why certain cars a much, much quieter than others and some isolate you from wind noise better than others. I don't spend much time in the different Lexus models- but my uncle used to have a 2009 Lexus ES350. That's built on the same platform and uses a lot of the same bones as my 2007 Camry Hybrid. His Lexus is more quiet on the highway and has much less wind and tire noise- which is actually quite amazing considering that my Camry is already pretty quiet on the highway. The switches on the inside are also a bit higher quality than the ones in my Camry. Some parts and buttons are shared- but Lexus seems to go the extra mile to insulate their cabins- at least with the ES models. My uncle now drives an RX350 and it's a lot quieter than any Toyota that I've been in. The front end of it is ugly as sin- but it's quiet.

·
Registered
'18 HL Ltd, '19 GMC Acadia Denali, '02 Honda Civic EX
975 Posts
The front end of it is ugly as sin...
Please, quit making it sound nicer than it really is. It's definitely not that good looking at all. :D

(For those that might be 'humor impaired' the above is sarcasm, pure and simple. (y))

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,704 Posts
Please, quit making it sound nicer than it really is. It's definitely not that good looking at all. :D

(For those that might be 'humor impaired' the above is sarcasm, pure and simple. (y))
Yeah, Lexus vehicles used to be really good looking and understated. Now they all wear that horrible grille that is just plain ugly. After 2012 or so- they all went downhill. I don't know what they were thinking. I know they want to have more "exciting designs", but IMO they went in a really bad direction and now it seems like they are afraid to admit that it was a mistake. "Lets make it even bigger!"... said no one outside the Lexus design studio.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts