Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2020 Highlander Hybrid.
I used the remote starter in my Highlander this morning. It ran for 10 minutes or so before I went out to get in. When I unlocked the doors, the remote start didn't turn off which I thought was weird. Then when I tried to actually start it, nothing happened and the car kept saying press breaks and power button to start. So I turned everything off, got out and locked the doors, unlocked them again and tried to start it. Again, the ignition turned on but the car wouldn't actually start. I tried 3-4 times and only the ignition would turn on. After about 10 minutes, I tried again and it started normal. Has anyone else had this problem before?

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XSE V6
183 Posts
Try changing your key fob battery.
When you open the door after a remote start and engine doesn’t turn off, the vehicle isn’t detecting the fob.

Also if this ever happens again , push the head of the key fob against the start button and it should start the engine, the receiver in the car should pickup the fob if it’s really close to the button, even if the fob battery is dead. I’ve tested this with the fob battery removed and it works.

·
Registered
'21 Venza xle '20 Highlander Pl
784 Posts
I used the remote starter in my Highlander this morning. It ran for 10 minutes or so before I went out to get in. When I unlocked the doors, the remote start didn't turn off which I thought was weird. Then when I tried to actually start it, nothing happened and the car kept saying press breaks and ignition button to start. So I turned everything off, got out and locked the doors, unlocked them again and tried to start it. Again, the ignition turned on but the car wouldn't actually start. I tried 3-4 times and only the ignition would turn on. After about 10 minutes, I tried again and it started normal. Has anyone else had this problem before?
Here is a good example why a HYBRID post should be instead be listed on the Highlander Hybrid forum....unless respondents have an i4 hybrid drivetrain they may not provide a specific response. Terms like on, ignition, cranking, starting and running differ in gas vs. hybrid drivetrains.

Hybrids do not have an Ignition indicator but a "READY" light and I'm assuming that is what you mean by ignition being on. If "ACCESSORY" is shown in the dash it means that the brake pedal wasn't pushed hard enough to get the "READY" light. When using remote start feature whether the cell phone app (or the 3 press and hold the lock button on the keyfob for higher trims with the JBL audio or Nav head), the ICE may or may not "crank" and the ICE engine run, the only indicator that it has "started" may only be the green ready light..

Remote start at cold/freezing temperatures the ICE will crank and run in a few seconds upon using cell phone app or just the Keyfob. When ICE is running on remote start it will continue to run until it times out in about 10 mins; the battery is near max charge; or a door is physically opened. It cannot be turned off just with the door open button on the keyfob. When a door is opened on remote start cycle the whole vehicle should always turn off and must be restarted using the normal brake and push button sequence.

Remote start at warmer temperatures or moderate battery state the ICE engine will not "crank" immediately and may not crank at all through the entire remote start timeout period....the only indicator that it is in a remote start cycle will be the green READY light when looking at through the window of the driver's closed door (radio my be running depending upon state of the trunk 12v battery and A/C electric compressor and/or electric heater may be running depending upon temperature and state of the traction battery).

Similar to a gas on a remote start everything will shut off as soon as the driver's door is opened and a repeat normal start is required. On a normal restart in warmer temperatures or after having run in remote start cycle, the ICE will not crank and run....the only indicator of ON condition will be the green ready light on the dash. (If you then try to crank to start using the brake/button at this time all you will do is turn off the vehicle and get the brake/button message to restart.) Once the green ready light is lit the vehicle is good to go and will usually move in EV mode for a few feet, maybe for a few hundred feet depending upon temperature & the battery state, and the ICE will automatically crank, ignition on, run and then and cycle on and off mysteriously during travel dependent upon battery charge and/or need for greater h.p. of the ICE at greater speeds or load. You may or may not know when the ICE is on automatic crank and start because there is no starter motor, using the already spinning coaxial electric motor, and may not hear it begin to run depending upon whether i4s in DI or port injection.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Remote start at cold/freezing temperatures the ICE will crank and run in a few seconds upon using cell phone app or just the Keyfob. When ICE is running on remote start it will continue to run until it times out in about 10 mins; the battery is near max charge; or a door is physically opened. It cannot be turned off just with the door open button on the keyfob. When a door is opened on remote start cycle the whole vehicle should always turn off and must be restarted using the normal brake and push button sequence.
1) can the 10 minute time period be changed by the owner, e.g. to something longer?
2) can the stop engine when drivers door opened feature be changed by the owner?
I have had one factory installed remote start vehicle and have installed two after market remote starter packages. None of them stopped the engine when I opened the door. These were all on typical ICE only vehicles.
IIRC on the factory installed remote start system, the brake pedal had to be depressed (And the key inserted & turned to on) before and throughout the shifting into D or R.

thanks
J

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
When you press the start button but not the break, it does in fact say Accessory and then "Ignition On" at the top of the dash.

The car said Ignition On at the top of the dash but no matter how hard I pressed on the breaks while pressing the power button, it would not actually turn on and to show the READY message.

Vehicle Personal luxury car Gadget Font Auto part

Since the doors have to be locked to remote start, I have to unlock them to open the doors. When I press the unlock button on the keyfob, it typically kicks the remote start off and then I open the door to get in and start the car as usual.
This morning, when I unlocked and opened the door, the remote start did not turn off and instead the dash said "Ignition on" and then I could not get the car to start.

I pressed the power button to turn it off and then tried pressing the breaks and pressing the power button 3-4 different times and I could only get the Ignition On message but the car would not start so I could drive.

I have been driving this car for 17 months and it is the first time I have had anything like this happen.
I have used the remote start almost every day during the winter months last winter.

·
Registered
'21 Venza xle '20 Highlander Pl
784 Posts
Never had the READY light fail and no Ignition On on the Rav only on light brake failure to start withe the gas.V6.

If it has an OEM remote start, three press and hold the lock button on third press. then something is not right and hopefully dealer can duplicate or a computer code is set.

If done through the cell phone app (recently updated) it needs an active service once the free one expires....never tried that method, but somewhere on this board saw a comment about software screwups after the subscription cancelled/expires and/or upon transitioning from the free to the paid subscription service....and required dealer intervention.

Another guess.... possibly a weak 12v trunk battery can't fire the high voltage traction battery safety relays to apply power to the inverter/electric motors for running the vehcile or cranking the ICE. Might try a voltage check or jump at the remote 12v battery jump points under the hood identified in the manual.

·
Registered
1 Posts
When you press the start button but not the break, it does in fact say Accessory and then "Ignition On" at the top of the dash.

The car said Ignition On at the top of the dash but no matter how hard I pressed on the breaks while pressing the power button, it would not actually turn on and to show the READY message.

View attachment 355093

Since the doors have to be locked to remote start, I have to unlock them to open the doors. When I press the unlock button on the keyfob, it typically kicks the remote start off and then I open the door to get in and start the car as usual.
This morning, when I unlocked and opened the door, the remote start did not turn off and instead the dash said "Ignition on" and then I could not get the car to start.

I pressed the power button to turn it off and then tried pressing the breaks and pressing the power button 3-4 different times and I could only get the Ignition On message but the car would not start so I could drive.

I have been driving this car for 17 months and it is the first time I have had anything like this happen.
I have used the remote start almost every day during the winter months last winter.
I had the exact same issue with my 2020 Highlander Hybrid this morning. I may try changing the key fob battery to see if that hopefully helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I used the remote starter in my Highlander this morning. It ran for 10 minutes or so before I went out to get in. When I unlocked the doors, the remote start didn't turn off which I thought was weird. Then when I tried to actually start it, nothing happened and the car kept saying press breaks and power button to start. So I turned everything off, got out and locked the doors, unlocked them again and tried to start it. Again, the ignition turned on but the car wouldn't actually start. I tried 3-4 times and only the ignition would turn on. After about 10 minutes, I tried again and it started normal. Has anyone else had this problem before?
We just experienced this on our 2020 Highlander Hybrid. We bought it new one year ago. Then the next day the starter battery was dead. I had to jumpstart from my Jeep. Toyota Service said they found nothing wrong with the car. Very weird behavior which makes us reluctant to use the remote start but "Winter is Coming".

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have a hybrid, but my 2020 Highlander had this exact problem this morning.

After a remote start, I came out and the car was started but wasn't locked (maybe it wasn't locked to begin with?) and didn't stop when I opened the door. I stopped the engine and I was stuck in the Ignition On mode, but with brake pressed the power button did nothing. I got out, tested the lock/unlock functions, and I ended up being locked out - remote wouldn't unlock. After I called ToyotaCare to get someone out to my place, I thought I'd try to disconnect the battery to reset everything, so I used the physical key in the remote to unlock it. Once I did that, the damn vehicle started. I don't know if it was that 10 minutes had passed or my manual entry had some effect. Either way, I'm pissed off but glad it finally started. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one with this issue.

Did the problem ever reoccur? I sure hope not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
same thing happened to me this morning, 2020 highlander xle.

we didnt drive the car for a week or so. this morning i realized remote fob wouldnt unlock the door. i walked up to the car, placed my hands on door knob and it unlocked car. then i sat in the driver seat and noticed remote key working this time. i walked out of the car and started the car remotely, let it warm up for 5 mins while inside home. after going back to the car that was running, i noticed car didnt shut off when i opened the door. i also noticed heat was on blast and I couldnt make any changes to turn it off, so i manually turned off the car with ignition button. then same story as everyone else, i couldnt start the car pressing the break and ignition button. i noticed keyfob worked where I locked- unlocked while this happened. i even went back inside amd got the second keyfob on me while the issue was present. no luck, same issue, no start. after about 10 mins of doing nothing productive, was able to start the car.

It almost felt like the keyfob got rogue from the car, and when it made contact with the car, it took some time to adjust to. its strange and something i do not want to experience. main reason we bought toyota for its dependability, something like this should not happen to a toyota!

·
Registered
2 Posts
same thing happened to me this morning, 2020 highlander xle.

we didnt drive the car for a week or so. this morning i realized remote fob wouldnt unlock the door. i walked up to the car, placed my hands on door knob and it unlocked car. then i sat in the driver seat and noticed remote key working this time. i walked out of the car and started the car remotely, let it warm up for 5 mins while inside home. after going back to the car that was running, i noticed car didnt shut off when i opened the door. i also noticed heat was on blast and I couldnt make any changes to turn it off, so i manually turned off the car with ignition button. then same story as everyone else, i couldnt start the car pressing the break and ignition button. i noticed keyfob worked where I locked- unlocked while this happened. i even went back inside amd got the second keyfob on me while the issue was present. no luck, same issue, no start. after about 10 mins of doing nothing productive, was able to start the car.

It almost felt like the keyfob got rogue from the car, and when it made contact with the car, it took some time to adjust to. its strange and something i do not want to experience. main reason we bought toyota for its dependability, something like this should not happen to a toyota!
Wow, unreal. Thanks for another data point. Yeah, I've had Highlanders since 2004 and nothing like this has ever happened. Sounds like Toyota at least built in a 10-minute timeout for conditions like this, but I sure as hell don't want this frustrating crap to happen again. When I get home from work I'm going to experiment with things.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen on my 2020 HH Limited. I remote started via remote. Upon getting in car, I thought it’s weird it didn’t automatically shut off and then it shut off. I tried pushing the start button and nothing. I tried getting out, locking it, unlocking and trying again and had no luck. The best I got it to do is to say “ignition on”

I kept trying for about 10 minutes before getting out, going inside and found your forum post on Google. I tried getting in car and trying to start it and finally it worked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i am wondering if toyota is was making change to remote start where couple-few weeks ago, i read somewhere that people complained about subscription based remote start. they definantly did something as i had the car for a year and suddenly randomly this crap happened

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to my wife’s 2020 highlander xle today. It didn’t shut off and the heat was blasting. The whole dash was pretty much unresponsive. After about 10 minutes it worked again. Our remote start app subscription ended in November but the key fob remote start continued to work until it went crazy today. I’m thinking it’s a software glitch not anything with the key fob battery. I told my wife on the phone to press the start button with the key fob but it did nothing. I did read somewhere to try hitting the lock button 4 times outside of the car to reset it but didn’t get a chance to try that theory. Maybe next time but hopefully Toyota addresses it before then.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes! Same issue x2. I took to the dealer yesterday and they reset the computer, per their report. I am unsure if this will solve my problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i doubt itll fix the issue. it seems to be software problem that they need to fix. from what i hear and similar to mine this happend shortly after or close to experiation of toyotas complementry subscription service?

·
Registered
2 Posts
i doubt itll fix the issue. it seems to be software problem that they need to fix. from what i hear and similar to mine this happend shortly after or close to experiation of toyotas complementry subscription service?
Well so far so good. I successfully used remote start this morning. Temps are subzero here in Michigan. No issue. Car shut off like it normally does upon entering and started appropriately. To note: My complimentary subscription services ended a few months ago. My issues just started last week. If that’s helpful?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts