Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same issue as everyone else. I've had the car since Dec 29, 2020. I used remote start all throughout last winter. Remote started yesterday, came outside to unlock and the engine didn't shut down. Was stuck with the "ignition on" message. I could not get the car to start and ended up having to take my infant to daycare in my unwarmed hatchback. After I got home it started without issue and I ran errands in it later that day.

Today my wife reported the same issue but she had not remote started the vehicle. I went out to try myself and it's like the battery is dead or something now. Guess I'll jump it when she gets back and take it in.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Highlander Hybrid.
I used the remote starter in my Highlander this morning. It ran for 10 minutes or so before I went out to get in. When I unlocked the doors, the remote start didn't turn off which I thought was weird. Then when I tried to actually start it, nothing happened and the car kept saying press breaks and power button to start. So I turned everything off, got out and locked the doors, unlocked them again and tried to start it. Again, the ignition turned on but the car wouldn't actually start. I tried 3-4 times and only the ignition would turn on. After about 10 minutes, I tried again and it started normal. Has anyone else had this problem before?
I have a 2020 Highlander Hybrid.
I used the remote starter in my Highlander this morning. It ran for 10 minutes or so before I went out to get in. When I unlocked the doors, the remote start didn't turn off which I thought was weird. Then when I tried to actually start it, nothing happened and the car kept saying press breaks and power button to start. So I turned everything off, got out and locked the doors, unlocked them again and tried to start it. Again, the ignition turned on but the car wouldn't actually start. I tried 3-4 times and only the ignition would turn on. After about 10 minutes, I tried again and it started normal. Has anyone else had this problem before?
Try changing your key fob battery.
When you open the door after a remote start and engine doesn’t turn off, the vehicle isn’t detecting the fob.

Also if this ever happens again , push the head of the key fob against the start button and it should start the engine, the receiver in the car should pickup the fob if it’s really close to the button, even if the fob battery is dead. I’ve tested this with the fob battery removed and it works.
Thank you for this, I’ll try this because I already changed the fob battery. Mine isn’t hybrid but fix may be same. So frustrating!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to add that I tried to use my car in an emergency at 4 am a day after this occurred and it won't start, or even light up. Absolutely infuriating
I took my car in and they claimed they could find nothing wrong. They did a computer reset (or so they said) and returned the vehicle to me. I did not have any issues until yesterday. I remote started the car. It did not turn off when I hit unlock or opened the door. I tried to turn it off and on and was unable to, however I was eventually able to by going through the on/off/ignition sequence without removing my foot from the brake. This morning, however, my 2020 Highlander Hybrid is completely dead (again!) and I will have to jump start it. This is really infurating.

Try changing your key fob battery.
When you open the door after a remote start and engine doesn’t turn off, the vehicle isn’t detecting the fob.
Is this really true? I don't see how it can be possible when I'm using the fob to unlock the car in the first place

·
Registered
1 Posts
This happened to me LAST WEEK nd when i used the toher FOB it fixed itself...today the battery was completely dead. i only have 34Km on this vehicle. no lights were left on. doors were locked (shut). we looked up how to jump it and took it in for service. toyota cannot tell me why. I am so frustrated!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts