Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Confused on how many gallons my 2020 Highlander limited takes. After my gas light came on, I went directly to the gas station. The tank fill up took a total of 16 gallons. Does this mean that after the gas light comes on that there are 2 gallons of reserve fuel? Something doesn't add up when the specs say that tank can hold 17.9 gallons

Also, after I fill the tank it shows 250 miles to empty. Anyone else seeing this?

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
Distance to empty is based on your car's actual MPG history and not the brochure specs. As you drive and build some data, the DTE will become more accurate for how you drive.

·
Registered
20 Ruby Platinum HL, 19 Lexus UX200, 17 Yaris iA
387 Posts
Funny, for the first time ever I drove mine down to the warning light yesterday. It still showed an 1/8 of a tank. Must be a Toyota thing as stated above. I heard no beep like other cars though. Just the light. I did not drive much further but still it took about 17 and a third gallons.......

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
I've found that the fuel gauge is usually a little optimistic, at least on the upper end. It may not be down to half a tank quite yet (my "warning threshold" for getting more gas - I don't drive down to E), but it will take 9-10 gallons easy anyway. According to the specs, half a tank should be 9 gallons, and maybe you'd put in a little less if there's some reserve built into the gauge reading. So I don't even drive this car to 1/2 anymore since it's really only half full when the gauge is at about 5/8.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Distance to empty is based on your car's actual MPG history and not the brochure specs. As you drive and build some data, the DTE will become more accurate for how you drive.
I have driven the SUV over 2,000 miles and every time I fill it up it shows 250 miles to empty. Not sure how the DTE is going to become more accurate?

·
Premium Member
2,489 Posts
What does the car show as the "total" MPG figure? ("Total" is since the last time you reset it, if ever, as opposed to "Trip" or "Tank".)

·
Registered
229 Posts
You must be driving it even harder then I am I certainly get above 300 miles on tank with mostly city driving, on road trips I've done 400 miles on a tank

·
Registered
2020 LE FWD Metallic Grey
27 Posts
LE - FWD gas: I haven't finished my first tank of gas and got already 385 miles out - city/hw combined Eco-Mode
How many mpgs are you guys getting when driving on city/hw? Are you guys using Eco?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just rented a 2020 highlander for a trip from Los Angeles to Zion National Park in Utah. Actually very impressed by the new highlander. I’m getting 26+ MPG, and easily over 500 miles on a full tank!

I am now thinking about getting the Bird version but it seems to have the same gas tank filling issues as in RAV4 Hybrid? The gas version Highlander seem to have no issue with the gas tank filling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
I just rented a 2020 highlander for a trip from Los Angeles to Zion National Park in Utah. Actually very impressed by the new highlander. I’m getting 26+ MPG, and easily over 500 miles on a full tank!
Did you fail math. :ROFLMAO: How would you get "easily over 500 miles" with 26 mpg?

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, - RAV4 silver /Black
523 Posts

I am now thinking about getting the Bird version but it seems to have the same gas tank filling issues as in RAV4 Hybrid? The gas version Highlander seem to have no issue with the gas tank filling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, I'm getting about 23 - 26 MPG in my LTD. depending on load (just me, or 1, 2, or 4 passengers and with or without a full load of luggage) which is 390 to 442 to a full tank (17 gallons). Even at 26 MPG that's about 459 to a tank, filling up and putting in 17 gallons (which has fuel light on for 15-25 miles before gassing up).

·
Registered
523 Posts
Funny, for the first time ever I drove mine down to the warning light yesterday. It still showed an 1/8 of a tank. Must be a Toyota thing as stated above. I heard no beep like other cars though. Just the light. I did not drive much further but still it took about 17 and a third gallons.......
Depending on the model, (my LTD), the center screen gets a nice BIG warning saying that I am low on gas ""Do I want to find a local gas station", with a yes and a No button. It fills up the screen and you can't miss it.

·
Registered
523 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Did you fail math. :ROFLMAO: How would you get "easily over 500 miles" with 26 mpg?
Oh, the one he rented had a 21 gallon gas tank … just kidding keep your pants on:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts