Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inventory near me is starting to pick up....mostly L, LE, and XLE, with only a couple of Limited so far. I am in the market pretty soon and was hoping to get a read on what people are paying. So far I only see MSRP on dealer sites with a couple showing military and graduate discounts.

If people are willing, could you post:

Model trim level
With or without a trade
Options and add on (extended warranty, etc)
Color and if paid extra
Dealer fees
Where you are located....region or state

Price Paid.
...but.....
Do not include state sales tax and dmv fees since that varies by state.

I do not need to buy now and will wait as long as possible. Just thought that this thread might be useful to everyone as sales pick up. Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't have a quote but looking at Edmund's True Market Value it looks like MSRP is the going price in my area plus every Toyota dealer in my area get at least $400 Doc Fee.

edmunds.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
Haven’t bought yet, but the I saw the Costco sheet for a Limited at the dealer and it was right about Invoice price. I couldn’t see the price for the one coming in with my name on it (it’s not built yet) but I’m expecting the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So I posted a few days ago about not liking the small rear window (still don’t like it) and uncomfortable head restraints. Well, we ended up buying the Highlander anyway. It was overall the best value for the money and the best fit for our family. We looked at the Pilot, Q7, X5, Atlas, MDX, RDX, and GLE. They all had pros and cons. Highlander won. My husband helped me adjust the seat and bought a thin neck pillow. The head restraint is better. Anyway, we got a great deal we couldn’t pass up...

Limited AWD

MSRP- $47,507 (with all weather floor package, rear bumper protector, side body moldings, and door edge guards but had dealer remove door edge guards as they were ugly and sharp at the top)

Color- magnetic gray (no extra charge for this color. Upcharges only apply to blizzard pearl and moondust)

No trade

Price paid- $42,516 (not including dealer fee, tax, or tags)

Rebates applied- Toyota finance ($750) and military ($750). I think our rate was 3%. We financed to get the rebate put plan to pay off early with no penalty

Dealer doc fee- $689

Price with dealer fee- $43,205 (plus VA tax and tags)

Location- Northern VA

Don’t believe it when dealers say they are selling at or above MSRP. They want to get these vehicles on the road so more people want to buy them. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I posted a few days ago about not liking the small rear window (still don’t like it) and uncomfortable head restraints. Well, we ended up buying the Highlander anyway. It was overall the best value for the money and the best fit for our family. We looked at the Pilot, Q7, X5, Atlas, MDX, RDX, and GLE. They all had pros and cons. Highlander won. My husband helped me adjust the seat and bought a thin neck pillow. The head restraint is better. Anyway, we got a great deal we couldn’t pass up...

Limited AWD

MSRP- $47,507 (with all weather floor package, rear bumper protector, side body moldings, and door edge guards but had dealer remove door edge guards as they were ugly and sharp at the top)

Color- magnetic gray (no extra charge for this color. Upcharges only apply to blizzard pearl and moondust)

No trade

Rebates applied- Toyota finance ($750) and military ($750). I think our rate was 3%. We financed to get the rebate put plan to pay off early with no penalty

Dealer doc fee- $689

Location- Northern VA

Don’t believe it when dealers say they are selling at or above MSRP. They want to get these vehicles on the road so more people want to buy them. Hope that helps!
Thanks so much for posting and using the format.....very easy for us in the market to compare apple to apples.

And congrats on the new ride. I also looked at most of the same vehicles and I think that the Highlander is on the top of the list. I like a V6 (vs turbo 4) and I like a stick shift vs buttons. Longtime Acura owner but we have Toyotas also. Looks like you got a very good price. If my local dealers don't deal it may be time for a road trip to VA! The RDX was/is still a top contender but although the car is fun to drive, it has had so many issues with quality (even after a year and a half) that I seriously question the reliability and customer service of Acura anymore. MDX refresh should be coming soon. With the price you paid I would also go with the Highlander.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Limited AWD

No trade

Dealer doc fee- $689

Location- Northern VA

Could you say a little more about needing help adjusting the seat and using a neck pillow? Was this for driver's seat or front passenger? Uncomfortable seats are a deal breaker for me, and I really need good lumbar support. Also, if not the Highlander, what was your 2nd choice? Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Could you say a little more about needing help adjusting the seat and using a neck pillow? Was this for driver's seat or front passenger? Uncomfortable seats are a deal breaker for me, and I really need good lumbar support. Also, if not the Highlander, what was your 2nd choice? Thanks!
Sure! Let me preface by saying I am 5ft, 95lbs (so not your average-sized adult). While test driving the 2020 Highlander, I found the head restraint to be very uncomfortable as it is aggressively slanted forward (at least compared to other vehicles we have owned and currently own). Being so short, it pushed my head forward and my chin down. I read the owner’s manual— the middle of the head restraint is supposed to be level with the driver’s ears. Well, the middle of the head restraint is about an inch ABOVE my ears. So my height is definitely the issue. Yesterday, I spent a good 20 minutes adjusting the seat until I finally found a position that works. I made a few final tweaks today and can say the head restraint no longer bothers me. I plan to keep the neck pillow I ordered from Amazon for long drives but won’t need it on a daily basis.

In case anyone is wondering- I moved the seat height up as far as it would go, leaned the seat back slightly more than I normally would, pushed the steering wheel all the way up and in, and adjusted the lumbar last (almost to the max setting). I find the seats themselves quite comfortable and expect that to only increase with time as the seat softens with wear. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, if we're not going to stay on topic in this thread...

I'm pretty sure uncomfortable seats are a deal breaker for any car buyer. I'm unaware of anybody who buys a new car and is happy with uncomfortable seats.

That being said.... options....
1. Explain your situation to your local dealer and see if they'll let you take an extended test drive to see if the seats are uncomfortable. I personally have not read too many complaints on Toyota seats being uncomfortable, but Honda seems to be the brand that has common complaints. That being said, you may not find too many dealers willing to let you put 50+ miles on a car.
2. See if any of the rental car agencies have the new Highlander available, and then do a weekend rental.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just lost a ton of money on trading in a Toyota 4Runner on a 2020 Highlander due to their really bad seat design on the 4Runner.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander AWD Platinum
27 Posts
Platinum AWD: $2250 under MSRP with some additional things thrown in like tint and door edge guards. Plus $750 TFS. The rate was .05% higher than bank but the numbers make sense even without paying it off early.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Limited AWD

No trade

Dealer doc fee- $689

Location- Northern VA

Very nice! My wife and I were in the same boat - we were initially focused on luxury cars (XC90, GLE 350, X5, and RX 350L), but threw the new highlander in the mix after learning about the redesign, and think that'll be our final choice.

We live in the DMV as well - can I ask which dealership in NOVA you bought from? We're looking for a platinum, and have seen a few of the VA dealerships advertising an internet price that's about 7-8% off MSRP, but wasn't sure how aggressive they'd be with pricing.

·
straight cash homie
19,532 Posts
I just lost a ton of money on trading in a Toyota 4Runner on a 2020 Highlander due to their really bad seat design on the 4Runner.
Really? 4Runners have insanely good resale value, historically better than Highlander, unless yours was bought so recently

·
Registered
21 Posts
How did the seat get passed the test drive phase? You were bound to get hosed this early on. The dealer won.
It stinks. Test drives are just sometimes not long enough. Hard to catch everything sometimes. I always feel bad about the salesman’s time. It would have taken an hour or two of a drive to catch it and mark it as a significant issue. In addition, the seats also always feel better when they are very new.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very nice! My wife and I were in the same boat - we were initially focused on luxury cars (XC90, GLE 350, X5, and RX 350L), but threw the new highlander in the mix after learning about the redesign, and think that'll be our final choice.

We live in the DMV as well - can I ask which dealership in NOVA you bought from? We're looking for a platinum, and have seen a few of the VA dealerships advertising an internet price that's about 7-8% off MSRP, but wasn't sure how aggressive they'd be with pricing.
offtopic As an XC90 owner please take it off your list unless you love it so much you are factoring in a very extended warranty. I’m desperate to get out of ours, love the way it drives but we’re talking Land Rover reliability and depreciation.

·
Registered
516 Posts
It stinks. Test drives are just sometimes not long enough. Hard to catch everything sometimes. I always feel bad about the salesman’s time. It would have taken an hour or two of a drive to catch it and mark it as a significant issue. In addition, the seats also always feel better when they are very new.
Many Toyota dealers rent Toyotas. So, you can rent one for as many days as you are willing to pay for. Of course, they aren’t likely to have any 2020 Highlanders for rent for awhile, but they probably have 4Runners.

·
Registered
37 Posts

I think you’ll be very happy with the Highlander, especially if you purchase the Platinum. I’m loving my Limited. It is a huge improvement over my GLK350. We purchased from Alexandria Toyota right outside of Crystal City. Had an excellent experience. No pressure purchasing, all negotiations were done by email, and we were in and out of the dealership in less than 90 minutes when we purchased. Our salesman was Eric Watt.

We also negotiated with Sheehy Toyota down in Stafford. However, they don’t negotiate in writing per their “policy.” We had to do everything over the phone. We went with Alexandria Toyota out of convenience and because they gave us an OTD price in writing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dang, that really sucks! Sorry to hear that happened! May I ask what year your 4Runner was? What made the seats uncomfortable? My husband currently has a 2013 4Runner Trail Edition and the seats are pretty comfortable. We are considering purchasing a new 4Runner in the next year or so but may need to reconsider!

1 - 20 of 137 Posts