Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rule of thumb for good deal it’s usually 15-20% off the MSRP. For a brand new redesign that just came out a month ago, I would say it’s a pretty good deal, since MSRP it’s around 40k.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Rule of thumb for good deal it’s usually 15-20% off the MSRP. For a brand new redesign that just came out a month ago, I would say it’s a pretty good deal, since MSRP it’s around 40k.
Damn wish I lived near a dealer willing to take $6,900 to $9200.00 off of MSRP.

·
straight cash homie
19,611 Posts
offtopic As an XC90 owner please take it off your list unless you love it so much you are factoring in a very extended warranty. I’m desperate to get out of ours, love the way it drives but we’re talking Land Rover reliability and depreciation.
You have another "I'd keep that for 3 years only" vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Damn wish I lived near a dealer willing to take $6,900 to $9200.00 off of MSRP.
I would be very surprised to find a dealer to take anywhere near that percentage off this vehicle. Even the 2019 models are showing less than that. I am cross shopping an Acura and can only get 5% at the very best. Now if you are talking a fully loaded Chevy pickup where the mark up is huge, that is a different story. If I find a dealer willing to sell at 10% of a 2020 Limited then I would be very happy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you’ll be very happy with the Highlander, especially if you purchase the Platinum. I’m loving my Limited. It is a huge improvement over my GLK350...
I am curious what you found to be some of the improvements of the Highlander compared to the GLK, aside from the obvious size difference?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am curious what you found to be some of the improvements of the Highlander compared to the GLK, aside from the obvious size difference?
Apologies to the OP...we are officially off topic! It’s important to note that my 2015 GLK350 was not loaded...it had a few packages on it (convenience, premium 1, appearance, and something else I can’t remember)

In my opinion, the 2020 Highlander pretty much “beats” my GLK350 in every way except-
1. My driver’s seat in the GLK350 was a better fit for me. The head restraint was much more comfortable and the seat itself allowed for more adjustment. Same with the steering wheel. Wish the Highlander’s seat and steering wheel would move up a little higher. Also wish the head restraint could be titled back just a bit. Oh, and my GLK350’s seats would get much warmer than the seats on my Limited.

2. My GLK350’s trunk closed much more quietly. The Highlander sounds like a loud robot when closing the trunk. This is pretty trivial though.

3. The quality of the back up camera was MUCH better on my GLK350. I think the Highlander’s camera quality has improved since the last generation, but it could be better.

4. The mirrors on my GLK350 would tilt down in reverse. My Highlander Limited doesn’t do this. I remember seeing that the Platinum does though. Again, this is pretty trivial.

5. My GLK350 had keyless entry and locking on all 4 doors. My Limited has it on the front doors only. I thought I would miss this as I liked being able to lock the car from the back door after getting my toddler out, but it’s really not a big deal to close the back door, take 2 steps forward, and touch the driver’s handle to lock it.

I will say, I like the rear end styling of the GLK350 better than the “edgy” look of the new Highlander tail lights. I’m not a fan of how the new tail lights are slightly “tinted” a grayish color. Totally personal preference though. Again, sorry to the OP for getting so off topic!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Weird but on my Avalon Limited, the outside mirror goes down when in reverse ONLY if the switch to adjust the mirrors is put on the left mirror (as if I was going to adjust it), maybe that's the case with the HL Limited?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Based on advertised "internet" prices from dealers in my area, 8-10% of MSRP for all trims except platinum seems to be standard, and thus the starting point for negotiations. I recently made an offer (via email) at 12% below MSRP for a platinum AWD and they didn't reject it off the bat but did try and get me to call in to "fine tune" the numbers with the closer. So I'm guessing 10% off MSRP is doable for platinums as well.

In 6 months I bet 10-13% off will be standard.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Weird but on my Avalon Limited, the outside mirror goes down when in reverse ONLY if the switch to adjust the mirrors is put on the left mirror (as if I was going to adjust it), maybe that's the case with the HL Limited?
Thanks so much for telling me this!!! Just put it in reverse with the mirror adjustment switch set to the left...they tilt down! They also tilt down when it’s set to the right.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would be very surprised to find a dealer to take anywhere near that percentage off this vehicle. Even the 2019 models are showing less than that. I am cross shopping an Acura and can only get 5% at the very best. Now if you are talking a fully loaded Chevy pickup where the mark up is huge, that is a different story. If I find a dealer willing to sell at 10% of a 2020 Limited then I would be very happy.
5% on which Acura? MDX? Think you should be able to do better than that. In NYC metro area they are going for 9k off MSRP "right off the bat" ~ 45k, check Truecar. Probably because new redesign MDX is due out this year sometime.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Dang, that really sucks! Sorry to hear that happened! May I ask what year your 4Runner was? What made the seats uncomfortable? My husband currently has a 2013 4Runner Trail Edition and the seats are pretty comfortable. We are considering purchasing a new 4Runner in the next year or so but may need to reconsider!
Mine was a 2020 too. The metal strip that holds the lumber support was pushing into my back. Retracting the lumber support did not help. There are at least a few posts online that discuss it. It did not take long to identify that there was no way it would have worked for me in the long term. Too bad I identified it shortly after buying the car and not during the test drive. The 2013 4Runner might have the same seats but I am not sure.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Mine was a 2020 too. The metal strip that holds the lumber support was pushing into my back. Retracting the lumber support did not help. There are at least a few posts online that discuss it. It did not take long to identify that there was no way it would have worked for me in the long term. Too bad I identified it shortly after buying the car and not during the test drive. The 2013 4Runner might have the same seats but I am not sure.
Well worth a trip to an upholstered shop to have them fix the seats to your liking. While you shouldn't have to do this, for your piece of mind and back, well worth considering - and then there is always checking a local used parts yard to see if they have any seats

·
Registered
21 Posts
Many Toyota dealers rent Toyotas. So, you can rent one for as many days as you are willing to pay for. Of course, they aren’t likely to have any 2020 Highlanders for rent for awhile, but they probably have 4Runners.
Great advice. I will try to do that from now on. Test drives are just not long enough.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
5% on which Acura? MDX? Think you should be able to do better than that. In NYC metro area they are going for 9k off MSRP "right off the bat" ~ 45k, check Truecar. Probably because new redesign MDX is due out this year sometime.
RDX ASpec. I realize that it is a "hot" car that is still selling very well. Yeah, The MDX is almost cheaper since it is due for update with the latest interior design. I have been working several CT Acura dealers for several months and they will not drop down at all. I actually got better offer out of state on the RDX. I think that I prefer the Highlander b/c of the V6 and transmission. RDX has had a ton of bugs that are still not worked out after 1.5 years.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Based on advertised "internet" prices from dealers in my area, 8-10% of MSRP for all trims except platinum seems to be standard, and thus the starting point for negotiations. I recently made an offer (via email) at 12% below MSRP for a platinum AWD and they didn't reject it off the bat but did try and get me to call in to "fine tune" the numbers with the closer. So I'm guessing 10% off MSRP is doable for platinums as well.

In 6 months I bet 10-13% off will be standard.
I have to move to where you are. I just got a quote on a Limited with a 3.5% discount....only $1600 off of MSRP....then tossed in fees. I don't need a vehicle right away, so going to wait it out a bit for the discounts to get better. Will go out of state if locals refuse to deal. Honestly, at MSRP, there are many other options out there. With a good discount the HL is much more appealing.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Strat63, have you tried Toyota at Westbrook, CT? They don't have any Limited or Platinum this last weekend but they gave me a pretty decent deal on my old HL. Looking to trade soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Strat63, have you tried Toyota at Westbrook, CT? They don't have any Limited or Platinum this last weekend but they gave me a pretty decent deal on my old HL. Looking to trade soon.
I have not tried many dealers yet. I have been checking inventory at all of the CT dealerships and just getting a feel for discounts. My current Acura has 300,000 miles on it and is still running well, so I am in no rush.....but I am thinking that it is time for a new ride. I will wait until the discounts get good and then pull the trigger. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everyone,
I’ve been reading your forum for a few months now and finally decided to share and ask for some help!
I am torn between a highlander and ascent. Mainly due to price as ascent cost a less. I’ve been negotiating with dealers on highlander limited and then yesterday decided last minute to ask about a platinum as well.
For the limited, “building it” this is what I was quoted:
Blizzard pearl limited
43650 msrp
425 color
1050. Birds eye 12.3 screen
1120. Southeast toyota
——
46,245 msrp
2886 discount
——
43359 total before ttl

The platinum-also built as no add ons except for the blizzard pearl:

48,834 msrp(I noticed this is incorrect and should be 48,345)
2886 discount
——
45948 (45549 if corrected)

platinum has the hud, birds eye, rear heated seats,small other differences.

on a side note, I’ve asked a few dealers about the tow hitch. One said no time frame but they can’t currently put one on. Another side they didn’t know there was a problem😳, and another said they would turn off the hands free sensor and put it on.

anyway, sorry for the long post, what does everyone think about those price and is a platinum worth the extra price for essentially the hud and panoramic moon roof. if I wait 4-6 months, I may be a able to get another 1-2 off maybe but I’m thinking that’s it.

·
Premium Member
2,005 Posts
For GM, Ford, and FCA maybe. Toyota doesn't have anywhere near that much padding in MSRP.

I love the commercials for the "domestic" pickups where they're offering $10,000 to $12,000 cash incentives. There's a 20% off deal, but that also tells you that you should never, ever, ever pay anywhere near MSRP for those trucks.

21 - 40 of 182 Posts