Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone,
I’ve been reading your forum for a few months now and finally decided to share and ask for some help!
I am torn between a highlander and ascent. Mainly due to price as ascent cost a less. I’ve been negotiating with dealers on highlander limited and then yesterday decided last minute to ask about a platinum as well.
For the limited, “building it” this is what I was quoted:
Blizzard pearl limited
43650 msrp
425 color
1050. Birds eye 12.3 screen
1120. Southeast toyota
——
46,245 msrp
2886 discount
——
43359 total before ttl

The platinum-also built as no add ons except for the blizzard pearl:

48,834 msrp(I noticed this is incorrect and should be 48,345)
2886 discount
——
45948 (45549 if corrected)

platinum has the hud, birds eye, rear heated seats,small other differences.

on a side note, I’ve asked a few dealers about the tow hitch. One said no time frame but they can’t currently put one on. Another side they didn’t know there was a problem😳, and another said they would turn off the hands free sensor and put it on.

anyway, sorry for the long post, what does everyone think about those price and is a platinum worth the extra price for essentially the hud and panoramic moon roof. if I wait 4-6 months, I may be a able to get another 1-2 off maybe but I’m thinking that’s it.
I would advice you to think long and hard about the Ascent. Theyare selling because of the price point. I currently own one. I will have it a year in February and looking to get rid of it. The Highlander is on top of my list followed by Palisade and Telluride. We also own an Outback which we really like. I have owned many brands and the Ascent is the only new car I regret buying. Wander over to their forum. The car has two or three active recalls based on the vehicle build date. My wife also hates our Ascent. We find front seats are uncomfortable. The CVT is terrible esp on hills. The cabin can get noisy esp on acceleration. Rough road surface generates excessive cabin noise.There is an issue w the battery draining. If you do any activity or leave the rear hatch opened battery drains. One owner just posted their battery drained in 30 minutes, which was the second time. They wrote their dealer service adviser told them you can't leave it open longer than 15 minutes. Subaru knows about it and has no fix. Another some owners complain about is the infotainment system. If you go with it make sure you really give it a good test drive. Many media outlets and youtube critics really do not have a lot of good to say it about it compared to the competitors. It has dropped in many ratings including Consumer Reports which at one time had it rated number one and then it quickly fell off that ranking.

What I do like is their eyesight technology and the AWD system. That's it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would advice you to think long and hard about the Ascent. Theyare selling because of the price point. I currently own one. I will have it a year in February and looking to get rid of it. The Highlander is on top of my list followed by Palisade and Telluride. We also own an Outback which we really like. I have owned many brands and the Ascent is the only new car I regret buying. Wander over to their forum. The car has two or three active recalls based on the vehicle build date. My wife also hates our Ascent. We find front seats are uncomfortable. The CVT is terrible esp on hills. The cabin can get noisy esp on acceleration. Rough road surface generates excessive cabin noise.There is an issue w the battery draining. If you do any activity or leave the rear hatch opened battery drains. One owner just posted their battery drained in 30 minutes, which was the second time. They wrote their dealer service adviser told them you can't leave it open longer than 15 minutes. Subaru knows about it and has no fix. Another some owners complain about is the infotainment system. If you go with it make sure you really give it a good test drive. Many media outlets and youtube critics really do not have a lot of good to say it about it compared to the competitors. It has dropped in many ratings including Consumer Reports which at one time had it rated number one and then it quickly fell off that ranking.

That's unfortunate, because I have looked at the Ascent, Palisade, and 3rd gen Highlander... going to see 4th generation today..... and have obviously talked to people on other forums about the mid-size SUV segment, and several have commented that they went with the Ascent over the Highlander and are absolutely thrilled with their decision. That being said, I wonder how long-term the issues he describe will weigh in on buyers, because they are very real and very much talked about on the Ascent forums.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Dealers near me don't seem to be budging off MSRP.

Image below is a sample of buying direct on-line from Westboro Toyota - no discount on 2020 but big discount on 2019.

Herb Chambers told me the same thing:

" With the brand new 2020 release we are currently selling all 2020 highlanders at MSRP."

Is the rest of NE the same?

wesrboro_toyota.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Most 2020 Highlanders will likely be sold at or around msrp+tax+title+fees while there are any 2019 models on the ground in surrounding areas.
as we move into Feb/presidents day 2019 inventory will likely be dried up and you will start to see small savings on 2020 units.
keep in mind. 2020 hybrids are expected late spring. all models on the ground as Gas only until May at the earliest.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
334 Posts
Seems like no matter what you want or buy there are or will be drawbacks. You are the only one that has to be ok with those issues.

I worked at a FORD dealership and still have many friends there (one we are going on vacation with, in the new HL:)), and he said "I'll never talk to you again if you buy one of the new "Piece of shit" Ford's / Lincolns". And let's not go to VW side of things. While they have gotten better, those (VW's) would never end up in our driveway, because of what I had to deal with when working there.

He's the shop foreman and been there for 25 + years, and his day is filled with nothing but complaints on these new models.

The lady next door purchased a Accent, and loves her NEW one:) New because she had one of those that had an issue with, and they simply replaced it as Subaru found it cheaper and safer to replace the cars, rather then fix them.

Toyota's currently have Fuel Pump issues (and Airbags like everyone else). So it's a matter of liking what you buy, enough to deal with any issues that MIGHT come up.

For me, it's Toyota's (this makes our 12th new one, and I can say "ALL have been trouble Free".

·
Registered
46 Posts
Dealers near me don't seem to be budging off MSRP.

Image below is a sample of buying direct on-line from Westboro Toyota - no discount on 2020 but big discount on 2019.

Herb Chambers told me the same thing:

" With the brand new 2020 release we are currently selling all 2020 highlanders at MSRP."

Is the rest of NE the same?

View attachment 291559
I’m in Northern VA. Two different dealers quoted me close to $5k off. Ended up buying a Limited for exactly $5k off MSRP (but did use 2 rebates/cash incentives). I think the dealer discount was still close to $3,500 though. I posted prices earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
27 Posts
When do we think supplies will be large enough to start seeing better deals?
Given the highlanders sales track record, I imagine you will see better dealer discounts as soon as 2019 models disappear from whatever area you are in. however, you will see limited vendor support in the form of rebates or special APR. I don't think you will see a special apr for all of 2020 and I doubt the Toyota rebate will be over 1k for the next 2 years.
Currently, in my region we have an advertised $750 rebate contingent on finance with Toyota min-36 months max-72 months. or a subvented lease rate, for 2020 gas models and honestly that is a GIFT given the rebate trend over the last 6 years on highlanders.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's unfortunate, because I have looked at the Ascent, Palisade, and 3rd gen Highlander... going to see 4th generation today..... and have obviously talked to people on other forums about the mid-size SUV segment, and several have commented that they went with the Ascent over the Highlander and are absolutely thrilled with their decision. That being said, I wonder how long-term the issues he describe will weigh in on buyers, because they are very real and very much talked about on the Ascent forums.
Actually I think a lot of what you read on the Ascent forums are posted by people that claim they purchased the Ascent over another model are trying to justify their purchase which really not based on the car's quality, which they claim, and don't want to admit the decision was based on the price because they are discounted and had at one point 0.9% loans. In other words the car was cheaper than other competitors.

That Ascent forum is filled with numerous issues. When people post their issues there are several die hard subie lovers that post oh its only a small population that had to have their transmission replaced don't be bothered by it yada yada yada.

When we purchased the Ascent, Telly and Palisade were not on the lots. Redesigned Explorer or HL were not out and consumer reviews on Edmunds had car rated above 4.0. Look at Edmunds now. Ratings on 2019 dropped to low 3.0's and there are even reviews on the 2020 that give it one star. youtube reviewers that compare the three row SUV's (and there are several of them) all placed the Ascent at the bottom or close to the bottom.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Inventory seems to be rolling in now. Saw one dealer had about 4k off MSRP for XLE - and same dealer list MSRP price, for blizzard pearl XLE, with side note (extra cost color). Thank goodness i hate white color.😋

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks for that info. I didn’t realize there were so many issues with the ascent.

thanks for that info. I didn’t realize there were so many issues with the ascent. I think deep down I wanted the highlander and just needed someone to push me a little that direction, which you have successfully done lol!
I’m now trying to determine if I should pay the extra money for the platinum or stick with the limited. Being offered the same discount on both at 2885 off msrp. I like the idea of the HUD on the platinum and the digital rear view mirror (the rear window seemed small on my test drive so I wondered if that would help.). My previous vehicle had a camera for the blind spot that is there whenever you need it(like the palisade/sante fe have) so that I will miss. Long term the platinum is quite pricey, so trying to figure out if worth it.
cant get the dealer off anymore than the 2885 at this point though. Even was told to shop around around if I didn’t like it😳 I think email and text just doesn’t always come across that well at times... what is everyone’s thoughts on limited vs platinum on a long term vehicle with the 2885 off msrp. I have lots of videos and pictures of both, if anyone is interested

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for that info. I didn’t realize there were so many issues with the ascent.

thanks for that info. I didn’t realize there were so many issues with the ascent. I think deep down I wanted the highlander and just needed someone to push me a little that direction, which you have successfully done lol!
I’m now trying to determine if I should pay the extra money for the platinum or stick with the limited. Being offered the same discount on both at 2885 off msrp. I like the idea of the HUD on the platinum and the digital rear view mirror (the rear window seemed small on my test drive so I wondered if that would help.). My previous vehicle had a camera for the blind spot that is there whenever you need it(like the palisade/sante fe have) so that I will miss. Long term the platinum is quite pricey, so trying to figure out if worth it.
cant get the dealer off anymore than the 2885 at this point though. Even was told to shop around around if I didn’t like it😳 I think email and text just doesn’t always come across that well at times... what is everyone’s thoughts on limited vs platinum on a long term vehicle with the 2885 off msrp. I have lots of videos and pictures of both, if anyone is interested
XLE is most popular in terms of sales. It all comes down to how much you want or feel you need some of the standard equipment the models offer. I am considering XLE and Limited. Not sure yet but I really like having a heated steering wheel and it is not on the XLE. HUD is nice but it is not something I feel that I really need.

·
Registered
2016 Tacoma
26 Posts
XLE is most popular in terms of sales. It all comes down to how much you want or feel you need some of the standard equipment the models offer. I am considering XLE and Limited. Not sure yet but I really like having a heated steering wheel and it is not on the XLE. HUD is nice but it is not something I feel that I really need.

Dealers web sites here in New England, on average, discount between 7% to 7.5% off sticker price on all trim levels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Dealers web sites here in New England, on average, discount between 7% to 7.5% off sticker price on all trim levels.
Where in NE? I am in CT and have contacted 7 dealers. The best offer I have gotten back is about 4%. Please let me know if you know of a dealer giving 7+% off b/c I will contact them immediately. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 Tacoma
26 Posts
Where in NE? I am in CT and have contacted 7 dealers. The best offer I have gotten back is about 4%. Please let me know if you know of a dealer giving 7+% off b/c I will contact them immediately. Thanks!
Go to any dealer web site. If your interested in a Platinum in Silver check out Hyannis Toyota. 2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum - Toyota dealer serving Hyannis MA ? New and Used Toyota dealership serving near Dennis Barnstable Chatham MA. I spoke to a gentlemen Fred & he was very professional, only problem was I wasn't looking for a Silver color.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Go to any dealer web site. If your interested in a Platinum in Silver check out Hyannis Toyota. 2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum - Toyota dealer serving Hyannis MA ? New and Used Toyota dealership serving near Dennis Barnstable Chatham MA. I spoke to a gentlemen Fred & he was very professional, only problem was I wasn't looking for a Silver color.
I will check it out. Every site in CT has maybe a $500 discount from MSRP. The dealers that have gotten back to me are offering $2500 - $3000 off, but they are inflating the MSRP by over $1000 to start. I do not need a vehicle immediately but I am ready to buy if someone gives a good deal. I may take a ride to Northern Virginia where one member here got 5k off of MSRP. Thanks!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
So far I have contacted the dealers with a very particular build request. I realize that they do not have the particular car in stock. I ask for a quote on a vehicle that on the Build function of the Toyota site comes out to $47145 with options and destination, the dealers are listing the MSRP as $48k - $49k, and then giving me a $2500 discount. So I am telling them the exact build that I want, and they are padding the price up and then giving the "discount". I have seen the same thing on many of the sites....they list an MSRP that is often $1000 extra. They do not list any options such as the larger infotainment screen, or panoramic moonroof or any other add ons. Just be careful with the quotes you may be getting off of MSRP.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
334 Posts
Build it online and send the build sheet to the dealer, it's harder for them to pad the price, when it is right there in front of you and them.

I thought I got an ok price for having to order it, but not sure if 5% is the best I could have done. I do have another quoting it, and if it is enough less, I'll go get my deposit back and go to the new dealer. The dealer that took the order said I had about 2-3 weeks before I would be hard to cancel a special order.

·
straight cash homie
19,630 Posts
Interesting

·
Registered
27 Posts
So far I have contacted the dealers with a very particular build request. I realize that they do not have the particular car in stock. I ask for a quote on a vehicle that on the Build function of the Toyota site comes out to $47145 with options and destination, the dealers are listing the MSRP as $48k - $49k, and then giving me a $2500 discount. So I am telling them the exact build that I want, and they are padding the price up and then giving the "discount". I have seen the same thing on many of the sites....they list an MSRP that is often $1000 extra. They do not list any options such as the larger infotainment screen, or panoramic moonroof or any other add ons. Just be careful with the quotes you may be getting off of MSRP.
1 thing to consider here...
Toyota dealers rarely submit a build form to the factory on behalf of the customer.
I am confident what is happening here, is that the dealer does not have the exact build you are looking for, and they are referencing the additional MSRP because that is what is currently available at local dealers they can trade with.
unfortunately, the vehicle that has whatever equipment you are looking for likely has more junk on it, and as such has a higher list price than what you built online. this can sometimes be frustrating as the dealer has little to no control over which models/ cars the factory adds a paint film, bodyside molding, wheel locks, or whatever else was added... I would assume positive intent and ask for a vspec on the car the dealer is quoting so you can see exactly where the additional money is being added.

41 - 60 of 198 Posts