1 - 20 of 199 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
No bench 2nd row in a platinum anymore..cmon toyota(not that I was planning on trading my 2018 platinum anytime soon) Its not bad looking, mix between a mazda/rav 4 front end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm pretty crushed.

The whole softer look doesn't do it for me. It looks like the 2014 Highlander but even more dated. The 2017 Highlander refresh looks better. I honestly struggle not to think it's the pre-refresh 3rd Gen Highlander on first glance. The LEDs don't even look great. The Chrysler wing logo on the front grill is so bland.

The interior is not an improvement at all, reusing half the pieces and tacking on a bunch of stuff that just makes it look overally busy. The added length has only upped the behind 3rd row space from high 13's to mid 16's in cubic feet. The competitors including the Palisade / Telluride are 18+ and you go really big like a Traverse and you get 21+. It's still too small and of course the price will go up. They even took out the rear opening hatch window.

Looks like my next family hauler is likely going to be a high-trim Hyundai Palisade. :-(

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
And they'll sell every one they make even though I don't care for the 'frown' in the front.

Funny, that Subaru looks like a 2nd gen Highlander. Highlander was a home-run since 2008 model and copied by most automakers. So, the 2020 doesn't look like a Subaru. The Subaru Assmell and Nissan Pathfollower look like a morphed over Highlander.

I am glad that it didn't turn into a bloated pig. They have the Sequoia for those that want something bigger.

Too bad the interior is for the 13 year old level braindead consumers. Can you play World of Warcraft while you drive?

Sad, but these new vehicles are why I'm shopping for a 1970's-80's SUV for a frame off restoration. I can do better in my shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
No bench 2nd row in a platinum anymore..cmon toyota(not that I was planning on trading my 2018 platinum anytime soon) Its not bad looking, mix between a mazda/rav 4 front end.
My interpretation is that the bench seats will still be optional on 2020 Platinum.

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
My interpretation is that the bench seats will still be optional on 2020 Platinum.
This to me reads no 2nd row bench option for platinum:

"The L and LE grades come standard with a second-row bench for seating for eight, while the XLE and Limited grades come standard with a Captain's Chair second row with seating for seven and the option of a second-row bench for seating for eight. Finally, the Platinum grade will come standard with a Captain's Chair second row with seating for seven."

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,395 Posts
This to me reads no 2nd row bench option for platinum:

"The L and LE grades come standard with a second-row bench for seating for eight, while the XLE and Limited grades come standard with a Captain's Chair second row with seating for seven and the option of a second-row bench for seating for eight. Finally, the Platinum grade will come standard with a Captain's Chair second row with seating for seven."
When I see that the second row seats are captain's chairs, I think mini-van. If anything, it just means that the Highlander is becoming more multi-purpose so you can do "anything" in it on the road (not off-road).

·
Registered
2019 Platinum HL
75 Posts
My wife and I purchased our 2019 Highlander Platinum trim this past December and we beat ourselves up trying to decide, should we wait for the 2020 redesigned model. Were we making a mistake not waiting for the newest best of the best...Well, in our case we think we made the right decision with our 2019 model. Personally, we are not impressed with what we are seeing with these pictures. Perhaps the infotainment system will we best updated feature as I'm guessing its got to be wayyyy better than the current entune system
(especially for us 2019 Platinum owners with the ongoing issue with the lack of feedback sounds and voice on the navigation). We also are not fans of the "Looks like a iPad Tablet" set up almost all manufacturers are putting in their vehicles now. The split lower dash we use to put our cell phones ect in has dramatically changed and the overall interior fails to impress.
We think the 3rd generation Highlanders are far more classy and expensive looking. Now, keep in mind, this is a 60 + year old writing this, so I'm sure the younger buyers will love this new design. AND. Keep in mind...pictures are pictures....so when these new redesigned 4th generation Highlanders hit the sales lot and you can "actually see it" in person, it may look like a whole different animal, inside and out.
Best thing I see is that it actually say Platinum on the back hatch now...i still do not understand why the 3rd generation Platinum trims only say Limited on the back hatch...but hey, it's all good.
:my2cents:
:worship:

·
Registered
296 Posts
The NEW 2020 Highlander IS HERE!!!! Pics attached and my thoughts!

The new 2020 highlander has been released.

What are you thughts?

Initially, i like how the new highlander isnt as radically changed compared to the rav4.

It boasts sharp new nagles as many new next decade vehicles are following but i like how many of the previous gen highlander characteristics have remained. such as no floating roof design on the back like other crossovers, but kinda reversed with the front a pillars being black. iil be honest tho, the outside reminds me of the infiniti qx60 with an overall bulbous shape.

the grille reminds me of a mix between the original 2014-2016 grille highlander...and a bit of hyaundai grille look ;)

i m happy toyota kept the powerful naturally aspirated v6 with hybrid options across most trims

the interior, especially the dash has taken a radical change. from the smooth curves the previous gen had, its now really eye popping, which alot of chunky parts sticking out, and a massive touch screen which finall includes apple car play and android auto. i dont hate th enew dash, but its definately different. asside from the fash and fancier looking seats, not mjuch has changed.

what do you guys think? would you upgrade current gen highlander? let me know in the under panty section below :D

Attachments

·
Registered
664 Posts
My wife and I purchased our 2019 Highlander Platinum trim this past December and we beat ourselves up trying to decide, should we wait for the 2020 redesigned model. Were we making a mistake not waiting for the newest best of the best...Well, in our case we think we made the right decision with our 2019 model. Personally, we are not impressed with what we are seeing with these pictures. Perhaps the infotainment system will we best updated feature as I'm guessing its got to be wayyyy better than the current entune system

(especially for us 2019 Platinum owners with the ongoing issue with the lack of feedback sounds and voice on the navigation). We also are not fans of the "Looks like a iPad Tablet" set up almost all manufacturers are putting in their vehicles now. The split lower dash we use to put our cell phones ect in has dramatically changed and the overall interior fails to impress.

We think the 3rd generation Highlanders are far more classy and expensive looking. Now, keep in mind, this is a 60 + year old writing this, so I'm sure the younger buyers will love this new design. AND. Keep in mind...pictures are pictures....so when these new redesigned 4th generation Highlanders hit the sales lot and you can "actually see it" in person, it may look like a whole different animal, inside and out.

Best thing I see is that it actually say Platinum on the back hatch now...i still do not understand why the 3rd generation Platinum trims only say Limited on the back hatch...but hey, it's all good.

:my2cents:

:worship:
Usually when they are released they are more bland than the early preview model, the 2019 rav4 is quite a bit more bland than the preview model shown around this time last year with maybe the exception of the trail trim. The model shown seems to be the limited platinum with the 12 inch display and 20 inch wheels, this will not be the volume seller, they seem to be attempting to increase volume of the entry trim adding more features there. All this extra kit either necessitates a price increase or hidden cost reductions and unfortunately it will be the latter, most likely less underlying quality.

Sent from my SM-T113 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Camry SE V6
1,787 Posts
When I see that the second row seats are captain's chairs, I think mini-van. If anything, it just means that the Highlander is becoming more multi-purpose so you can do "anything" in it on the road (not off-road).
For me, I think, third row up all the time with a family of 5. Which then means very little cargo room. My third row is there for an as needed basis and doesn't get used more than once a week when the wife has to take 5 kids to school. Any other time, its folded down for cargo space. If I only had 2 kids it would be a different story..

·
TN の がしょう
2015 Camry XSE V6
7,426 Posts
After seeing the new model, I'm happier with my 2018.

I'll keep my 2018 as long as I can.

After seeing how they designed the 2020 HL, I'm now scared how the new Sienna will look as my wife and I are interested in getting a minivan next year.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
For me, I think, third row up all the time with a family of 5. Which then means very little cargo room. My third row is there for an as needed basis and doesn't get used more than once a week when the wife has to take 5 kids to school. Any other time, its folded down for cargo space. If I only had 2 kids it would be a different story..
Pretty much. When I first went inside a Buick Rendezvou (or whatever you call it), it was basically a mini-van. I always thought it was a SUV/crossover. Blame the non-sliding doors. Still, I rather have the bench seat and the third row seat because then you can fit six people back there. "Let them struggle" to get to the back.

·
Registered
664 Posts

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
1 - 20 of 199 Posts