Toyota Nation Forum banner

141 - 160 of 270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Isn't this a forum about 2020 Highlander?

There are better places on Toyota Nation for more general discussion.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,554 Posts
Isn't this a forum about 2020 Highlander?

There are better places on Toyota Nation for more general discussion.
Seems like either the topic got merged or we randomly started talking about it.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Toyota hasn't given out any new information about it since the announcement in April. I stopped in a dealership last week, and I knew more about the 2020 than they did. They told me that 2019 is still in production since they're still getting shipments of 2019's in October. Now I'm starting to wonder if 2020 will hit lots in December as originally expected or if January is more likely.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Toyota hasn't given out any new information about it since the announcement in April. I stopped in a dealership last week, and I knew more about the 2020 than they did. They told me that 2019 is still in production since they're still getting shipments of 2019's in October. Now I'm starting to wonder if 2020 will hit lots in December as originally expected or if January is more likely.
The prototypes (moon dust Platinum AWD and red Hybrid Platinum) made an appearance at the Texas State Fair, according to these videos:

The Toyota rep reiterated December availability for the non-hybrid. I guess we shall see...

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Never believe anything a car salesman tells you. They need a commission check right now and don't want anyone to wait until December to buy a car.

There are still 2019's in the pipeline (which includes at distributor locations), so they will be getting allocations for a little longer, but the 2020's will arrive in December. However, there is no guarantee that there will be enough 2020 models to meet demand during the first couple of months.

·
Premium Member
1,777 Posts
Never believe anything a car salesman tells you. They need a commission check right now and don't want anyone to wait until December to buy a car.

There are still 2019's in the pipeline (which includes at distributor locations), so they will be getting allocations for a little longer, but the 2020's will arrive in December. However, there is no guarantee that there will be enough 2020 models to meet demand during the first couple of months.
I know - sales people don't know much and want a sale today. The sales person that got my "up" didn't even bother to try to talk to me and sent me to the sales manager. Still, I know... need to take what you hear with a grain of salt.

They did tell me that RAV4 Hybrid went through a situation you're describing where availability was pretty thin for the first 2-3 months. On the two they sold right away, they took deposits and got allocation set up before the final pricing was even announced.

You sound very definitive - where are you getting authoritative information other than a dealer?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I was contacted by a dealer last week who told me that they had received word to expect the 2020 Highlanders in late November or early December.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Several points:
1. I am not in sales, but there is an age-old sales adage that I will absolutely butcher that states you are selling the product today, and not the product one-week, one-month, or one-year from now. Yes, these sales folks rely on commission, and if a customer says, "Well, I sort of wish it had a 12" widescreen display" and their tongue slips that that's coming in 2020... there's a risk the customer walks and they lose the sale. Dealerships spend a huge amount to get feet on the showroom floor. Sure, some salesmen might take the risk to do what's best for the customer... but you risk the customer holding off on the buy, changing their mind on Highlander in the interim, losing their job, etc. It's not even to say that salesmen are crooks --- rather, I am sure all of us have had instances where we wanted to buy something, forgot about it while at the store or could not find it because of scarcity... and then decided against it down the road.

2. The best car salesman are generally not the ones that know all of the ins and out of every model and trim... Rather, they understand human psychology and cater to that. I was talking to a Porsche salesman once... you can absolutely bet that some Porsche fans are walking Wikipedias on everything Porsche and know Porsche's history better than most of the company's employees --- those folks do not necessarily make the best salesmen... In general, the people coming in that are buying their first or nth Porsche are not looking for subject matter experts on the brand. If anything, those SMEs can scare away customers.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Several points:
1. I am not in sales, but there is an age-old sales adage that I will absolutely butcher that states you are selling the product today, and not the product one-week, one-month, or one-year from now. Yes, these sales folks rely on commission, and if a customer says, "Well, I sort of wish it had a 12" widescreen display" and their tongue slips that that's coming in 2020... there's a risk the customer walks and they lose the sale. Dealerships spend a huge amount to get feet on the showroom floor. Sure, some salesmen might take the risk to do what's best for the customer... but you risk the customer holding off on the buy, changing their mind on Highlander in the interim, losing their job, etc. It's not even to say that salesmen are crooks --- rather, I am sure all of us have had instances where we wanted to buy something, forgot about it while at the store or could not find it because of scarcity... and then decided against it down the road.

2. The best car salesman are generally not the ones that know all of the ins and out of every model and trim... Rather, they understand human psychology and cater to that. I was talking to a Porsche salesman once... you can absolutely bet that some Porsche fans are walking Wikipedias on everything Porsche and know Porsche's history better than most of the company's employees --- those folks do not necessarily make the best salesmen... In general, the people coming in that are buying their first or nth Porsche are not looking for subject matter experts on the brand. If anything, those SMEs can scare away customers.
Thanks for the info...
ps
Better watch it... the posting article "cops" will be on you like a chicken on a June bug.

·
Registered
6 Posts
does anyone know if the v6 will have both port and direct gas injection. from articles i have read its the best of both worlds and minimizes carbon buildup
thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
My understanding is that the D-4S has both port and direct injection. It depends upon the speed according to which injection system is working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I QUESS IT DOES HAVE PORT AND DIRECT INJECTION D-4S

2GR-FKS[edit]
The 2GR-FKS is a 3.5 litres (3,456 cc), 24-valve DOHC V6 engine that combines the D-4S system from the 2GR-FSE with the simulated on-demand Atkinson cycle used in the 2UR-GSE and 8AR-FTS engines. The intake camshafts are equipped with VVT-iW and the exhaust camshafts are equipped with VVT-i. In the Tacoma the engine specifications are 278 hp (207 kW; 282 PS) at 6000 rpm and 265 lb⋅ft (359 N⋅m) at 4600 rpm.[9] In the Lexus RX 350 the engine specifications are 295 hp (220 kW; 299 PS) at 6300 rpm and 267 lb⋅ft (362 N⋅m) at 4700 rpm respectively. In the Lexus IS350 and GS350 the engine specifications are 311 hp (232 kW; 315 PS) at 6600 rpm and 280 lb⋅ft (380 N⋅m) at 4800 rpm respectively.
Applications (calendar years):

141 - 160 of 270 Posts