Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the 2020 Highlander Limited Platinum edition has any wiring installed for future trailer wiring? If not, I would think the best wiring method would be to use a module and clip-on pick up sensors that attach but not cut into the existing wiring. These new electronic systems can detect any parasitic wiring and Toyota I think frowns on violating their wiring? I forgot to mention that the platinum edition has no provision for trailer hitches because of the kick- to- open tailgate sensor located in the bumper. Bummer!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know, but my local dealer said they have a Platinum on the way with either a hitch already installed, or set-up to be installed before the vehicle is sold. Apparently it is on the paperwork from the factory. I'll see if I can get more details tomorrow.

·
Registered
2011HL
1,428 Posts
If.. it is like Gen 2 there will be wiring from the foot well to the back cargo area for a 4 wire installation. But at both ends it is up to the owner to install the appropriate connections.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't know, but my local dealer said they have a Platinum on the way with either a hitch already installed, or set-up to be installed before the vehicle is sold. Apparently it is on the paperwork from the factory. I'll see if I can get more details tomorrow.
Can you give me more details on this. I have a Platinum ordered and so far no information about the hitch install. I really need to get a hitch so this is a big deal for me.

·
Registered
2011HL
1,428 Posts
In the past the physical "hitch" and the necessary "wiring" have been two totally separate issues/installs.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Let me know the details if you can. I am in the same situation and I NEED a hitch on my Platinum

·
Registered
19 Posts
Let me know the details if you can. I am in the same situation and I NEED a hitch on my Platinum
It is just plug and play. There is a plug inside and the very rear that has a plug waiting for the harness. See a uTube video that shows it all. Fast simple and it works.....got one I’m my Wife’s 2019 HL XLE

·
Registered
2 Posts
2020 is not the same trailer hitch is not yet available for the limited and platinum I will not get one until this is fixed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Supposedly they will not offer one on the Platinum due to the tailgate foot sensor opener. It will detect the hitch and try to open the tailgate when stopped. I haven't check mine for the wiring harness yet but had I known of this limitation I would never had purchased the Platinum version.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
As discussed in this other thread, Toyota is showing the trailer hitch receiver on the Web site as an accessory for all trim levels, including Limited and Platinum with the caution about the foot sensor. That said, no Limited or Platinum seem to be coming through the pipeline with the hitch receiver installed. They must still be trying to work out this issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The parking sensors for the rear will need to be turned off when towing. The two limitations of foot sensor and the parking sensors were issues on the 19 as well according to a Friend whose has one,

·
Registered
15 Posts
My dealer just confirmed that the hitch can be installed (by them) but the foot sensor will need to be disabled. I'm not sure if this good news, or not.... Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I would immediately ask Why they can not relocate the foot sensor? If the response is reasonable and acceptable to you, fine. Otherwise, I would expect the price paid for foot sensor feature be reimbursed to you.

Personally, I won't even buy the 2020 model if it's true that the rear liftgate window is fixed.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
Exactly how would you quantify the value of the foot sensor in order to be "remibursed"? It's part of the Limited package and not listed separately.

It's true that the rear window is fixed and no longer opens.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Exactly how would you quantify the value of the foot sensor in order to be "remibursed"? It's part of the Limited package and not listed separately.

It's true that the rear window is fixed and no longer opens.
I am more dissatisfied with the way his/her (desertdweller2) dealer's response by just saying to "disable the foot sensor"; therefore, of my response above about asking why the sensor cannot be relocated, from there depending the attitude and response, I would or perhaps not ask for reimbursement of the foot sensor. As far as putting a price on the foot sensor, that would depend on the individual perceived value within reason and the art of negotiation that is no different from how one negotiates for a final purchase car price.

To me, the hitch gets in the way of the foot sensor is an oversight since Toyota Do sell the hitch for the 2020 HL (I would feel differently, if Toyota Do Not carry/sell a hitch for the 2020 model until there is a work-around for the foot sensor, instead of just "disable it").

EDIT: Thanks for the confirmation on the fix rear left gate glass!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the screw up/ oversight on the hitch/ foot sensors is due to it being designed in Japan? Not sure they understand North Americas need or wants related to extra curricular activities, many of which involve towing something.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Some oversight, no doubt; but there are some other constraints too, like speed to market, limited space behind bumper and next to spare tire, best sensor position to handle left & right side driving configurations, plus cost saving avoid making changes to existing components...

1 - 20 of 195 Posts