Toyota Nation Forum banner

181 - 195 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Neither the dealer nor the local guys will install a wiring harness that is not 'approved' for the for the Limited/Platinum because of fear it might 'fry' the vehicle's electrical system.
At this point it really feels to me like some wires are getting crossed. ZING! ;)

Seriously, the wiring harness and converter for towing can be installed totally independently of the whole kick sensor debacle. The installation sheet for the tow wiring does not say it can't be installed on the Limited/Platinum and there would be no reason for it to, since the wiring is independent from the kick sensor. I don't know what makes the wiring harness 'approved' if not the install sheet itself indicating no restrictions based on trim level.

I think the people you're talking to are confusing/conflating the issue of Toyota having no official solution for installing the factory hitch on the Limited/Premium (which would remove the kick sensor) with whether they can install the tow wiring or not. (They can, whether you have a factory hitch, an aftermarket hitch, or no hitch at all.)

I am not aware of any reason not to install the tow wiring (you will need the factory converter PT725-48200 but there is an aftermarket for the 4-way harness if you don't want to buy the factory one) AND install an OEM hitch that sits below the bumper and leaves the kick sensor in place where it may/may not work reliably. Nothing would get fried.

All that said, if you don't want to or aren't able to install the hitch and wiring yourself, I sympathize with being stuck relying on the willingness of others to do it. All this uncertainty was caused by Toyota deciding they could get away with taking the vehicle to market with no factory solution for hitch+kick sensor. Madness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The local hitch installer told me it’s the wiring harness for the trailer lights that isn’t available for the Curt after market hitch. That not having an ‘approved’ wiring harness (their words) is a risk that they are not willing to take that might damage a new vehicle’s electrical system and couldn’t guarantee that the liftgate kick sensor would work in that setting.
My dealer says they have no specific info from Toyota regarding any timeline for a possible OEM hitch package and that the only thing they can do is the XLE version of the hitch and wiring harness with the bumper swap out and loss of the liftgate kick sensor function.

·
Registered
57 Posts

The local hitch installer told me it’s the wiring harness for the trailer lights that isn’t available for the Curt after market hitch. That not having an ‘approved’ wiring harness (their words) is a risk that they are not willing to take that might damage a new vehicle’s electrical system and couldn’t guarantee that the liftgate kick sensor would work in that setting.
My dealer says they have no specific info from Toyota regarding any timeline for a possible OEM hitch package and that the only thing they can do is the XLE version of the hitch and wiring harness with the bumper swap out and loss of the liftgate kick sensor function.
Here is the hitch I put on my 20230 Platinum. It's a Draw Tite class 4 hitch and the wiring I ordered from my dealership along with a converter and the dealership installed the wiring. It works fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At this point it really feels to me like some wires are getting crossed. ZING! ;)

Seriously, the wiring harness and converter for towing can be installed totally independently of the whole kick sensor debacle. The installation sheet for the tow wiring does not say it can't be installed on the Limited/Platinum and there would be no reason for it to, since the wiring is independent from the kick sensor. I don't know what makes the wiring harness 'approved' if not the install sheet itself indicating no restrictions based on trim level.

I think the people you're talking to are confusing/conflating the issue of Toyota having no official solution for installing the factory hitch on the Limited/Premium (which would remove the kick sensor) with whether they can install the tow wiring or not. (They can, whether you have a factory hitch, an aftermarket hitch, or no hitch at all.)

I am not aware of any reason not to install the tow wiring (you will need the factory converter PT725-48200 but there is an aftermarket for the 4-way harness if you don't want to buy the factory one) AND install an OEM hitch that sits below the bumper and leaves the kick sensor in place where it may/may not work reliably. Nothing would get fried.

All that said, if you don't want to or aren't able to install the hitch and wiring yourself, I sympathize with being stuck relying on the willingness of others to do it. All this uncertainty was caused by Toyota deciding they could get away with taking the vehicle to market with no factory solution for hitch+kick sensor. Madness.

Yes I’m in the ‘stuck’ category as due to limited function of one of my arms I have to rely on others to 1. Tell me what’s what and 2. To do the install of both the hitch and the wiring harness

·
Registered
129 Posts
View attachment 299669
Here is the hitch I put on my 20230 Platinum. It's a Draw Tite class 4 hitch and the wiring I ordered from my dealership along with a converter and the dealership installed the wiring. It works fine.
Does Platinum have different exhaust tip? That doesn't look like anything I have on my Limited

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
No, Platinum doesn't have a special exhaust tip. Maybe the exhaust had to be modded for that hitch receiver?

·
Registered
venza
279 Posts
Here is the hitch I put on my 2020 Platinum. It's a Draw Tite class 4 hitch and ...
The install sheet for the Draw-Tite shows adding a bracket that lowers the position of the exhaust hanger, presumably to clear the hitch.
Hi Guys,
From looking at the linked install sheet or by searching "Draw-Tite class 4", I end up with part 75896. From Draw-Tite web site, sadly that does not fit the 2020 Highlander (although, just by looking at the picture, it looks very nice). Searching for the right fit on Draw-Tite yields nothing. If it is another part number that got installed, I'd be very happy to learn about it, since I am looking for a hitch that supports weight-distribution.

Thanks again,

jf

·
Registered
40 Posts
@jflarin you might be interested in this thread about the Curt vs Draw-Tite vs OEM:

The misalignment on the 6th hole is probably why Draw-Tite doesn't list it as compatible with the 2020. Some people are going ahead with it anyway, but I suspect they're only using bike racks etc and not the kind of load that would call for weight distribution.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
@jflarin you might be interested in this thread about the Curt vs Draw-Tite vs OEM:

The misalignment on the 6th hole is probably why Draw-Tite doesn't list it as compatible with the 2020. Some people are going ahead with it anyway, but I suspect they're only using bike racks etc and not the kind of load that would call for weight distribution.
Agreed. Proof it does work is right here in this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Guys,
From looking at the linked install sheet or by searching "Draw-Tite class 4", I end up with part 75896. From Draw-Tite web site, sadly that does not fit the 2020 Highlander (although, just by looking at the picture, it looks very nice). Searching for the right fit on Draw-Tite yields nothing. If it is another part number that got installed, I'd be very happy to learn about it, since I am looking for a hitch that supports weight-distribution.

Thanks again,

jf
It may say it doesn't fit but as you can see it works fine. My installer only had to slightly widen the holes on the left side otherwise-no problem

·
Registered
14 Posts
After much debate and an answer from Toyota that they have no plans for a working tow hitch solution that keeps the kick sensor liftgate for either the limited or the platinum, I decided to go with the Toyota OEM hitch and wiring. I lost the function of the kick sensor liftgate (the sensor I’m told is still there in case Toyota ever comes up with a solution I could theoretically have them do a replacement!) and had to swap to the flat colored bumper from the XLE version but that actually matches the front, side and rear trim better. The Toyota hitch has a step included so it sticks out from the bumper more than some hitches and it comes standard with a 4 pin flat receiver. I wanted a 7 pin round but was told that Toyota only has the 4 pin for the Highlander wiring assembly. I found a 4 to 7 pin adapter on amazon and had to drill out the mounting holes a bit more to make it fit the Toyota bracket but finally after 3+ months of waiting and maybes I can tow my boat. The Toyota OEM package was pricey though and I’m sure you’d pay less if you bought a Curt hitch and did it all diy. Good hunting!

181 - 195 of 195 Posts