Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just bought a 2020 Limited. The "tow package" is just on there already. It has all the coolers and blah blah blah. no worries there.

They dealer was able to get a hitch for me, but did warm me that the wave your foot foot may not work.....honestly don't care.....hope Toyota has a fix in the future i guess. Honestly...I don't get the whole foot wave thing....my previous car, I just stood there with the key in my pocket....it beeped 3 times and just opened the trunk. I didn't have to wave anything.

I'm more curious how they will install it without replacing the bumper....or if they just have to cut it to make it work. So....I want to make darn sure what they are going to do before installing. I may just wait for Toyota to have an official work around/fix. I have the Tundra for towing anyways....this is just extra for the small trailers.

Also I could care less about the back glass being fixed in place or if it opened.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just bought a 2020 Limited. The "tow package" is just on there already. It has all the coolers and blah blah blah. no worries there.

They dealer was able to get a hitch for me, but did warm me that the wave your foot foot may not work.....honestly don't care.....hope Toyota has a fix in the future i guess. Honestly...I don't get the whole foot wave thing....my previous car, I just stood there with the key in my pocket....it beeped 3 times and just opened the trunk. I didn't have to wave anything.

I'm more curious how they will install it without replacing the bumper....or if they just have to cut it to make it work. So....I want to make darn sure what they are going to do before installing. I may just wait for Toyota to have an official work around/fix. I have the Tundra for towing anyways....this is just extra for the small trailers.

Also I could care less about the back glass being fixed in place or if it opened.
I would be happy to ave them cut the bumper cover if it can be done neatly. At least then I could have a hitch on the vehicle!

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I'm more curious how they will install it without replacing the bumper....or if they just have to cut it to make it work.
The lower portion of the bumper is designed to come off and be replaced with a piece that has a cutout for the trailer hitch. No need to cut the existing piece. There are also some modified "underbody cover" pieces for under the left and right sides of the car with modifications to accommodate the hitch receiver.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was studying that last night under the car. I can see where the foot sensor is and can see why it would maybe be a problem as well. I could also see the wiring harness for the the 4pin. I'm sure Toyota will release a fix for the foot sensor.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Thanks for the info. I was studying that last night under the car. I can see where the foot sensor is and can see why it would maybe be a problem as well. I could also see the wiring harness for the the 4pin. I'm sure Toyota will release a fix for the foot sensor.
If possible, can you take a picture of the foot sensor and its surrounding, Thank you very much! I wonder what are the challenges to relocate the sensor with a hitch installed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was talking with my parts Dept yesterday about this problem. He told me they have several parts that come with the hitch and one is to fix the issue with the foot sensor.

I said... oh okay so Toyota figured it out? And he said yes.

I said they don’t have to cut the bumper.... he said no. And I said.... the sensor will still work... and he said yes.

I had a few people behind me so I was not able to go further with the discussion. I will know more on Wed when they put it on. I will report back the findings and if they relocate the sensor.... etc.

Also.... what I’m assuming is the foot sensor is this long bar with wiring going into it from the drivers side that is clipped to the plastic bumper cover and right under the metal bumper itself... right in the middle. As the hitch goes there... I can see the challenge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too would love to see what this looks like with some before/after photos. Please post something if you can!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just ordered a Platimum and I want a trailer hitch. In ?? it’s not in the catalogue yet. That is why i’m interested in the follow up. I have a Boat to tow in May. I cross my fingers

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
475 Posts
Sure would have been nice to go with the tailgate opening when you got close instead of waving your foot (ok, so kicking your foot). It would be better, easier, SAFER, and would have solved a problem, that won't have been a problem / issue had that gone this way (the trailer hitch / towing package)

·
Registered
37 Posts
i will be taking the Highlander in tomorrow morning at 10. i will get some pics. and yes....no reason why you couldn't just stand near the tailgate, have it beep 3 times, and then lift with the key in your pocket. also a lock/close button would have been nice on the tailgate, not just a close button. These items were on my genesis....the car i do not miss. kicking your foot is a gimmick really.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
If the tailgate exterior switch has not changed from the 3rd Gen, there is a round button next to the rectangular unlock button, press on the round button will lock all front & passenger doors and the tailgate (assume your key fob is outside of the HL.
image.png

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the tailgate exterior switch has not changed from the 3rd Gen, there is a round button next to the rectangular unlock button, press on the round button will lock all front & passenger doors and the tailgate (assume your key fob is outside of the HL. View attachment 293054
If the tailgate exterior switch has not changed from the 3rd Gen, there is a round button next to the rectangular unlock button, press on the round button will lock all front & passenger doors and the tailgate (assume your key fob is outside of the HL. View attachment 293054
[The 4ft generation is identical]

21 - 40 of 195 Posts