Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
So the hitch didn’t happen. Parts missing was the excuse. ??‍♂
I was told today by Toyota Canada that the tow hitch receiver is not available for all Highlander 2020. That is why it is not in the catalogue of accessories.
It’s not the case for Telluride and Pallissade you get your hitch and they have touchless sensor for tailgate.
I cancelled the purchase of my Platimum. Hoping for you In ?? that it will be different ??

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Guys flipflop from Toyota Canada contrary to their answer yesterday they confirmed by email that the tow hitch receiver for Highlander 2020 is under developpement. At least now we know that someone is working on.
Therefore my purchase is not cancelled and the Platinum is coming for March.???

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi my name is Toyota and our new Highlander can tow 5000lbs.... oh wait you have to have a trailer hitch for that? Oh our bad....

Annoying...

P.s. you made the right choice... Hyundai and Kia suck ass.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The lower portion of the bumper is designed to come off and be replaced with a piece that has a cutout for the trailer hitch. No need to cut the existing piece. There are also some modified "underbody cover" pieces for under the left and right sides of the car with modifications to accommodate the hitch receiver.
Go ON YOUTUBE and type Toyota Highlander Tow Hitch Install it is from YellowDogs. You will see how they do it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi my name is Toyota and our new Highlander can tow 5000lbs.... oh wait you have to have a trailer hitch for that? Oh our bad....

Annoying...

P.s. you made the right choice... Hyundai and Kia suck ass.
I learned yesterday that the Telluride can tow 5000 pounds. But what they don’t say is that the trailer Hitch can only take 350 pounds compare to 500 for the Highlander. Too risky for my boat. Go for Higlander ?

·
Registered
2014 Highlander Ltd
174 Posts
I learned yesterday that the Telluride can tow 5000 pounds. But what they don’t say is that the trailer Hitch can only take 350 pounds compare to 500 for the Highlander. Too risky for my boat. Go for Higlander ?
That is not correct any longer. The spec was corrected and updated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
still would take the Toyota 3.5 D-4S over the Lambda II 3.8

and from reading over the problems people are having with the Telli and Palli.....they are all the same problems I was having with my 15 Genesis 5.0. they share the exact same electrics from 5 years ago and they still can't get it to work right.

also an update on my hitch, parts manager and tech were not willing to move forward because they are waiting on the part number for the limited and platinum to show up in the book. They didn't want to put something on that was technically for the L, LE, and XLE. i agreed to wait.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Go ON YOUTUBE and type Toyota Highlander Tow Hitch Install it is from YellowDogs. You will see how they do it.
That's a good video recommendation.
For those who doesn't have a set of jack stands, there is sufficient space underneath with the HL just sitting on the ground, as the higher you raised the vehicle the higher you will have to raise the hitch for installation (if floor height is not quite enough, drive the rear wheels on a set of 2x8 wood blocks or back the car up the driveway just before the rear wheels entering the garage etc.); also, have a long enough say 2x4 as cushion/stabilizer between the jack and the hitch will minimize scratch to the coating.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That is not correct any longer. The spec was corrected and updated.
View attachment 293290
Thank’s my dealer didn’t know and I forwadded the copy. They are Very happy to know that. Good for them but I will stick to my Platimum. I’ve been told this morning that the hitch receiver for those without tailgate sensor will be available in Canada ?? in 10 days. They should give me a follow up next week for the Platinum’s hitch receiver In developpement.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
No, there's no such thing as a "tow package" anymore. Those features are standard now. The hitch receiver is the only extra part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Email I received from Toyota yesterday.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.. Based on our research due to the location of the activation sensor for the Hands Free Power Lift gate underneath the rear bumper, if a tow hitch was installed, it would disable the sensor and this feature would be lost. Due to this interference, Toyota does not offer accessory tow hitches for the 2020 Highlander Limited and Platinum grade vehicles.

·
Registered
37 Posts
well then they can take some off the price of the car, because of loss of use of a function that is advertised!! I want some money taken off the price I paid for this car because of that. being able to tow with it was part of my decision to buy it. They really dropped the ball on this one....very sad for the Toyota engineers.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited AWD - Magnetic Gray
170 Posts
I get that the sensor will be disabled (incredibly stupid when towing is one of the main advertised features)...but will they still install the hitch if I’m willing to lose that functionality? Or is it something that just can’t be installed period.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Just install it yourself. I bet you can move that sensor to the side and it’ll work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Email I received from Toyota yesterday.

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.. Based on our research due to the location of the activation sensor for the Hands Free Power Lift gate underneath the rear bumper, if a tow hitch was installed, it would disable the sensor and this feature would be lost. Due to this interference, Toyota does not offer accessory tow hitches for the 2020 Highlander Limited and Platinum grade vehicles.

·
Premium Member
2,288 Posts
Or just make the hitch receiver cheaper somehow to compensate for the fact that the kick sensor won't work. The kick sensor isn't a huge loss, and I'm sure the people that want a hitch would much rather have that than the kick sensor.

I agree... for $50K, it should work. We shouldn't be this far into the model year with a big question mark hanging over the situation. Either that or just say the sensor doesn't work, but not selling the hitch at all for Limited or Platinum trims is not an acceptable result. The marketing materials (Web site, brochure) don't say that the hitch is not available for those trims, but instead says the sensor won't work with the hitch installed. Why the big disconnect between the marketing and the manufacturing/distribution people?

41 - 60 of 195 Posts