Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talked to 2 different dealerships in Eastern Canada. Both confirmed that the 2020 Highlander release date has been pushed to January for the gas model. March for the Hybrid. Don't know about other parts of the country or the USA.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
933 Posts
Given that we haven’t seen a 2020 Highlander actually being driven much less hear about any test drives, one wouldn’t expect them to arrive next month. I’m waiting to hear of a media driving event like the had for the 2017s in Ojai, CA in October 2016.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Metal Maniac
131 Posts
I'll believe that when I see it from an official source. A new person that just joined and this is the first post LOL I have two friends that work for Toyota as Sales Managers in opposite ends of the country and they haven't heard anything.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
I think they kept 2019 production going way too long. The sales on the 2019's started months ago, and now they're practically giving them away. I still don't understand why Highlander seems to be on a December cycle (been that way for several years) when most other models change years around September. Given the amount of competition in this particular vehicle segment, you'd think Toyota is putting themselves at a competitive disadvantage by introducing the new model so late in the year. But if you look across Toyota's lineup, you'll see that not all models change years at the same time - they're all spread out.

Toyota's latest press release about the Miami Auto Show said that they were coming out "this winter" but also said that the first ones would hit the lots "before the end of 2019". So if they get a handful out by then, they met the deadline.

I'm certainly not expecting to see them in quantity until at least January.

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
933 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Limited, Moondust / Graphite, RAV4
488 Posts
And Toyota's official numbers show the 2019 Highlanders sales down. My guess is it has a lot if not all to do with the 2020 coming soon, and supposedly a better vehicle.

October 2018 - 20,548
October 2019 - 18.857

I'm sure I am not the only one, passing on the 2019 for the 2020

·
Registered
601 Posts
And Toyota's official numbers show the 2019 Highlanders sales down. My guess is it has a lot if not all to do with the 2020 coming soon, and supposedly a better vehicle.
Switching to a new gen is probably much more complicated than we, the armchair quarterbacks, give them credit for. If you screw up the timing of any portion of the supply chain or the inventory, you could end up with no inventory to sell until the next-gen ramps up (that's volume you're not getting back) or excess inventory that you have to blow out, which depresses demand initially for the next gen.

Toyota hasn't resorted to doing what Chevy, Ram, and Nissan have done with the changeover for their high-volume products -- continue producing the old one under a "Limited" or "Select" nameplate while ramping up the new one. I remember Impala Limiteds showing up in rental fleets in parallel to the more premium current-gen Impala for at least a year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'd rather it be a little late than to be in the same boat as Ford with the all new Explorer/Aviator.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is the 2020 engine going to be better then the 2019? I always heard that you should never buy a first generation of any vehcile. Wait till they work out the kinks? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
Should be same powertrain as 2019 for the gas version, which will eliminate the potential for many of those first-model-year bugs.
The April press release is the only thing they have published so far with such details.

Historically, they have had problems with the rear hatch every time they change the body design, so that could be an area to watch. On the 2nd Gen, the power lift was based on one motor that only pushed up on one side, and that put a lot of stress on the hinges. The 3rd Gen had some initial issues too with the new lift motors. And of course all the new tech toys on the Platinum could have their own issues.

·
Registered
488 Posts
As for the gas engines, same old, same old, and that means for the most part, awesome and trouble free. And everything I'v heard, read or seen says they've got the Hybrid engine thing down pretty damn good as well. My concern is a 4 cylinder engine in a medium size SUV.

• Get up a go?
  • Passing?
  • Getting on to the highway from ramps?
  • Durability over the long haul (150,000+ miles)?
11 Toyotas between my wife and I over the past 10 years, (2 Camrys, 2 Tercels, 1 4-Runner, 1 RAV4 and 5 Avalons) with ZERO maintenance over and above the standard oil changes, tires and such.

• NO Shocks (although the current Avalon is headed that way)
  • NO Break Jobs (although 2 were ready, we ended up trading in)
  • NO Engine work, NO Transmission work, NO Suspension, like I said Trouble Free, GREAT vehicles.
Mileage varied on each before we traded or sold, from a low of 3,685 to a high off 164,000 miles. The current Avalon, that's likely to be traded in on a new Highlander will have 100,000 + - by the time we trade it in.

Reactions: Penzfan

·
Registered
2020 Highlander Hybrid
933 Posts
It's somewhat telling that the 4th gen Highlander is supposedly arriving next month, but there doesn't seem to be much interest here on the forums. Unlike the new RAV4 which was was aimed at more masculine styling and performance appeal, the same designer chose to differentiate the Highlander by emphasizing luxury, comfort, and safety. And, in the case of the hybrid, dropping the V6 in favor of class-leading fuel economy. One of the interviews even mentioned that the typical Highlander driver is a female driver with passengers so you can bet that most of the marketing will reflect this. There's not a lot for enthusiasts to get excited about at this point, especially, as nobody seems to have driven it, yet.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It's somewhat telling that the 4th gen Highlander is supposedly arriving next month, but there doesn't seem to be much interest here on the forums.
The HIghlander strikes me as more of a utilitarian vehicle. People buy it because it it is comfortable and has a reputation for reliability. It’s right in the middle — not too big, not too small. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. It‘s not a “cult classic” like the 4Runner (which has enough of a following to support its own fan forum).

I suspect most people here post because they are either actively shopping for a Highlander (among other crossovers) or have a question or problem with an existing Highlander, neither of which is really possible with the 4th gen right now.

I am curious as to how the TNGA platform will translate into meaningful improvements for its ride and drive qualities. Seems like the Camry reviews marveled at the difference in the 2018 model, while the response seemed slightly tempered for the 2019 RAV4.

·
Premium Member
2,314 Posts
It's somewhat telling that the 4th gen Highlander is supposedly arriving next month, but there doesn't seem to be much interest here on the forums. ...
There's not a lot for enthusiasts to get excited about at this point, especially, as nobody seems to have driven it, yet.
You hit it on the head right there at the end. Toyota has told us nothing since the April press release, and even the more recent discussion in the last few days has been enthusiastic but hasn't revealed anything really new.

I signed up for the "exclusive updates" months ago, and all that has come of that is two e-mails trying to sell me a 2019 Highlander. Not a peep about 2020.

So until there's something new to talk about, there isn't much to say on topic.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Just received word that production on the 2020 Highlander will start in 10 days ...
But still nothing from Toyota on the web site, or any emails to those of us who have signed up to get the latest information?

1 - 20 of 152 Posts