Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have watched many video’s on YouTube, but none show specifically how to remove my steering wheel. Yes, there are three holes, but they all have some kind of rubber shield about 3/8” down the hole. I cannot see the springs to release the air bag.

Has anyone on here removed their steering wheel on the 2020 LE and maybe have pictures?

Bill

·
Registered
497 Posts

Looks like two rods that clip onto the airbag Two holes on each side at the bottom to release air bag. Then center bolt holding the steering wheel.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Looks like two rods that clip onto the airbag Two holes on each side at the bottom to release air bag. Then center bolt holding the steering wheel.

Saw both of those videos, but the 2020 holes are different. Tried pushing in a small flat blade screwdriver, but it only goes as far as the rubber insert and the insert cannot be removed.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Saw both of those videos, but the 2020 holes are different. Tried pushing in a small flat blade screwdriver, but it only goes as far as the rubber insert and the insert cannot be removed.
Are you sure?
This video is even more detailed.

Reactions: RWB

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you sure?
This video is even more detailed.
I saw this one also. Just spent the last 20 minutes trying to find the spring in a dark hole. Think I will drive down to the Toyota dealership tomorrow morning and hit up one of the mechanics to show me. But, thanks for the help. I will report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Alright. When you say rubber seals. The 3 holes are covered? If that's the case. I wonder if those people are just piercing them or removing them.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Want to get the wheel covered with leather. Have to send it off.
Have you considered using a DIY steering wheel leather wrap? I heard it takes about 3 hrs for the nicer ones to stitch one on. Sounds like you will spend more time and effort than that to take the wheel off and put it back, plus the risk of taking out and reinstalling the air bag properly.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you considered using a DIY steering wheel leather wrap? I heard it takes about 3 hrs for the nicer ones to stitch one on. Sounds like you will spend more time and effort than that to take the wheel off and put it back, plus the risk of taking out and reinstalling the air bag properly.
I have one of those kits. I tried tucking the leather under the trim, but it is too tight. So, if and when I get the wheel and trim off, I will probably try it again. If that doesn’t work, then off to a wheel refurbishing shop.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt 👽
1,157 Posts
I like the oem wheel

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like the oem wheel
Oh, I also like the OEM wheel, but being the perfectionist that I am, I just can’t stand the wheel being textured 90 percent of the way around and smooth from hands holding it at the 12 o’clock position. If it wasn’t for that, I would not be going down this rabbit hole.

·
Registered
497 Posts
My Corolla '21 SE. There's no seal around or in the holes. I can see the rod that is depressed to release the Air Bag. Yours are covered?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dimension,
Yes, mine has a black rubber like disk in the hole. It is just getting light here in Florida, so after a morning appointment, I will look again. Thanks for the photo.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Huh, that's odd. Wonder why your car has them covered. Only thing else I can think to try is find or buy a different flat head screwdriver that might fit better. Or maybe a metal rod that's the right thickness to push on it. Or just stab through the rubber cover? Because it seems like most Corolla's don't have it covered. Maybe the difference is Japan build vs American Build? Does your VIN start with J?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
So in Japan you can't take your steering wheels off ?!?!?!? 🙃

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
It's probably what Dimension said, I can't see it being "different" the holes on the casing likely weren't punched out like the US vin#'s its being compared with...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts