Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just took home a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE last week and love it over all. It's my first RAV4, my first Hybrid. My question is: Is it normal to hear the high pitch electric motor winding up/ down when I accelerate from stop and brake to a stop (not sure if winding is even what it does). Often it adds an even higher oscillating pitch 'ambulance in the distance' like whine. It's really distracting. I often drive in silence and I just can't ignore it. Is this normal for a hybrid systems? And no, it's not the angelic hum noise you hear when idling or reversing. I'm almost longing for a normal engine at this point. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
14 Posts
Yes, it's normal. I've had mine a couple weeks and 1,100 miles and have grown to enjoy all the quirky little sounds. I was aware it would do this before I bought mine as I researched obsessively for about a year and a half waiting first for a hybrid then again for Android Auto. I'm averaging about 39mpg, no fueling issues and I accept the 110 mile reserve Toyota leaves me with when the "low fuel" warning lights up.
**I find the drivers seat the least comfortable I've ever experienced in 40+ years of driving. Once the custom interior shop gets my seat fitted it will be love.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Regularity rally Sport utility vehicle
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Compact sport utility vehicle

· Registered
1 Posts
Just took home a 2020 RAV4 Hybrid LE last week and love it over all. It's my first RAV4, my first Hybrid. My question is: Is it normal to hear the high pitch electric motor winding up/ down when I accelerate from stop and brake to a stop (not sure if winding is even what it does). Often it adds an even higher oscillating pitch 'ambulance in the distance' like whine. It's really distracting. I often drive in silence and I just can't ignore it. Is this normal for a hybrid systems? And no, it's not the angelic hum noise you hear when idling or reversing. I'm almost longing for a normal engine at this point. Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
Could you please let me know the price you paid for this. I was looking for hybrid LE as well. But, I want steel wheel, not sure if hybrid LE has steel wheels. non hybrid LE has steel wheel.

2020 Lexus ES 350 F-Sport
4,243 Posts
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will require all electric vehicles (and hybrids) to emit a sound while moving up to 18.6 mph by September 2020. (The U.S. settled on a faster speed limit based on arguments that the cars are harder to hear until they're really moving.) The noise requirement will be phased in to give car makers time to modify the vehicles, with 50 percent of cars required to emit a sound by this September.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration will require all electric vehicles (and hybrids) to emit a sound while moving up to 18.6 mph by September 2020. (The U.S. settled on a faster speed limit based on arguments that the cars are harder to hear until they're really moving.) The noise requirement will be phased in to give car makers time to modify the vehicles, with 50 percent of cars required to emit a sound by this September.
I understand that but it's really more of the breaking to a stop 'ambulance noise' that gets to me. The hums going and reversing aren't a problem for me.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, it's normal. I've had mine a couple weeks and 1,100 miles and have grown to enjoy all the quirky little sounds. I was aware it would do this before I bought mine as I researched obsessively for about a year and a half waiting first for a hybrid then again for Android Auto. I'm averaging about 39mpg, no fueling issues and I accept the 110 mile reserve Toyota leaves me with when the "low fuel" warning lights up.
**I find the drivers seat the least comfortable I've ever experienced in 40+ years of driving. Once the custom interior shop gets my seat fitted it will be love. View attachment 288758 View attachment 288760
Quirky indeed. Do enjoy the drive though.

· Registered
1 Posts
Yes, ambulance. I keep opening my window to see what direction the "ambulance" is coming from. SIGH!
Joe F
Well at least I know I'm not imagining it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.