Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
♕
2020 XSE Sedan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mine leaks. going to get it checked out asap. but if you have a sunroof on a 20 sedan, i suggest you pay attention to it when it rains. brand new car, leaky sunroof lol

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here in north Florida it rains all the time and I love having the shade back with water on it and haven’t noticed any leaks at all

·
♕
2020 XSE Sedan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's not dumping water in the car but i notice in the corners of the moonroof toward the back of the car, water drips from it when completely closed. it seems to be draining properly and not intruding into the car itself, no water on floor, headliner, shade, etc but toyota of NA said it shouldn't be leaking at all. will bring to dealer as soon as i can and see what's up

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would certainly do that. I haven’t noticed anything with mine, but I’ll look next time it rains

·
♕
2020 XSE Sedan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i suggest you just run your fingers along the back edge all in there to see if it's wet just for a little CYA to get it fixed before it turns into you getting in the car and everything being soaked lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
it's not dumping water in the car but i notice in the corners of the moonroof toward the back of the car, water drips from it when completely closed. it seems to be draining properly and not intruding into the car itself, no water on floor, headliner, shade, etc but toyota of NA said it shouldn't be leaking at all. will bring to dealer as soon as i can and see what's up
What do you mean by the back edge. If it's not intruding into the car where is the water going?

·
Registered
'20 Corolla SE Sedan
101 Posts
You would think that after designing/building power sun/moon roofs into cars for the better part of 40 years now that the design/build quality would be perfected by now. Same with a lot of other systems. Sheesh. o_O

Guess I will pay special attention when I finally hand wash/wax/detail my Corolla in the next week or two.

I'm not a big fan of sun/moon roofs, & never really use them, & would have rather my Corolla not had one - but it was part of the SE package necessary to secure a 6-MT Corolla. My various Si Honda's all had them over the years & they rarely saw any action, outside of sliding back the shade to let top light in.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
5,870 Posts
There is the kinking theory of the drain tube going to the rear.

Inferior tubing material is likely the suspect. Need a raincoat.

·
♕
2020 XSE Sedan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you know how you can tilt it? and only the back edge opens? when it's closed, small water droplets leak from there, into the drain pan, down the drains and out of the car. though that's the purpose of the drains, toyota corporate said it shouldn't do that regardless. it shouldn't leak regardless that it has drains in case it does

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unfortunately they are starting to use cheaper materials in the newer cars because they're trying to pack them with so much stuff they have to cut costs else where. So it's probably not about the design, just extremely cheap materials that haven't been proven yet. The plastic door panels on my car on the outside have been deformed and started to melt off already due to the heat, and im in california where its not even that hot lol, ridiculous. The plastic has been deformed to the point where I can probably just pull it off with my fingers. Didnt ever plan to take my car to the stealership but I guess I have to at some point.

·
♕
2020 XSE Sedan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do you mean by the back edge. If it's not intruding into the car where is the water going?
you know how you can tilt it? and only the back edge opens? when it's closed, small water droplets leak from there, into the drain pan, down the drains and out of the car. though that's the purpose of the drains, toyota corporate said it shouldn't do that regardless. it shouldn't leak regardless that it has drains in case it does
3D399F67-493B-4FBF-9E0E-1AC7FDE46788.jpeg

·
Registered
58 Posts
So it is technically leaking into the vehicle just not in large enough quantities to get anything wet.

·
♕
2020 XSE Sedan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it is technically leaking into the vehicle just not in large enough quantities to get anything wet.
correct. i posted a picture of the water dripping into the pan earlier. it could be normal but i've had 5 other cars with moon/ pano roofs and none have done this

·
♕
2020 XSE Sedan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You would think that after designing/building power sun/moon roofs into cars for the better part of 40 years now that the design/build quality would be perfected by now. Same with a lot of other systems. Sheesh. o_O

Guess I will pay special attention when I finally hand wash/wax/detail my Corolla in the next week or two.

I'm not a big fan of sun/moon roofs, & never really use them, & would have rather my Corolla not had one - but it was part of the SE package necessary to secure a 6-MT Corolla. My various Si Honda's all had them over the years & they rarely saw any action, outside of sliding back the shade to let top light in.
that's what i plan on doing. it never sat flush to the roof so i calibrated it earlier and it seems to sit a little better but still not perfect. it may need to be adjusted. hell, it's probably been doing this since i bought it and i just never noticed because it always drained out

·
Registered
58 Posts
that's what i plan on doing. it never sat flush to the roof so i calibrated it earlier and it seems to sit a little better but still not perfect. it may need to be adjusted. hell, it's probably been doing this since i bought it and i just never noticed because it always drained out
With all the problems I've been having with my XLE I wouldn't be surprised if mine leaks also. I would check but it's currently at the dealership so I won't know until I get it back and I have no idea when that will be.

·
♕
2020 XSE Sedan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With all the problems I've been having with my XLE I wouldn't be surprised if mine leaks also. I would check but it's currently at the dealership so I won't know until I get it back and I have no idea when that will be.
what's going on with yours? i've had mine since march, 2020 XSE, 16k miles, this is the only hiccup i've had

·
Registered
'20 Corolla SE Sedan
101 Posts
you know how you can tilt it? and only the back edge opens? when it's closed, small water droplets leak from there, into the drain pan, down the drains and out of the car. though that's the purpose of the drains, toyota corporate said it shouldn't do that regardless. it shouldn't leak regardless that it has drains in case it does View attachment 285069 View attachment 285069
The salesperson tilted my moonroof to demonstrate it when I was there shopping the car, but I noticed immedietely while standing outside vehicle looking at roof that when you close the moon-roof back just from a tilted position, it doesn't seem to seal at the rear in the same fashion as when you slide-open the roof normally & then close it back (where it does seal properly with roof). Since I have no use for tilt feature at all, I doubt I will ever tilt it again, & won't even be opening it very often in a regular fashion for that matter.

The only real hiccup with mine thus far is the inside windowshield glass in sensor housing sealed area is hazed up, & the dealership escalated it to Toyota Corporate since the heating element inside housing is supposed to stop that from happening in a properly sealed unit. They are waiting for word back from corporate on how they want to fix this - which may include complete front windshield & sensor unit replacement. They are also checking to see if it may be a problem that will require a service bulletin be issued, or even a possible recall for some units. Fun fun.

·
♕
2020 XSE Sedan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The salesperson tilted my moonroof to demonstrate it when I was there shopping the car, but I noticed immedietely while standing outside vehicle looking at roof that when you close the moon-roof back just from a tilted position, it doesn't seem to seal at the rear in the same fashion as when you slide-open the roof normally & then close it back (where it does seal properly with roof). Since I have no use for tilt feature at all, I doubt I will ever tilt it again, & won't even be opening it very often in a regular fashion for that matter.

The only real hiccup with mine thus far is the inside windowshield glass in sensor housing sealed area is hazed up, & the dealership escalated it to Toyota Corporate since the heating element inside housing is supposed to stop that from happening in a properly sealed unit. They are waiting for word back from corporate on how they want to fix this - which may include complete front windshield & sensor unit replacement. They are also checking to see if it may be a problem that will require a service bulletin be issued, or even a possible recall for some units. Fun fun.
mine looked foggy the other day and i've already had the windshield replaced. gonna be fun to get a recall and have that done again

·
Registered
58 Posts
what's going on with yours? i've had mine since march, 2020 XSE, 16k miles, this is the only hiccup i've had
So many things. A combination of damage caused by the dealership and factory defects. And on top of that the XLE I currently have was actually a replacement for a hatchback I originally bought in March.

I went to the dealership with the intention of buying an XLE but since they were so new at the time there were none available in my state. I wanted the XLE because of the softex interior and the older engine with a proven track record of reliability.

Since the dealership did not have any XLEs in stock they refused to negotiate on the price since they would have to bring one in from another dealership out of state. They did however have an XSE hatchback on the lot. They negotiated on the price and even agreed to throw in an aftermarket leather interior. I was initially reluctant but they showed me a Tundra that had the aftermarket leather installed and it looked pretty good so I agreed.

Long story short the contractor was unable to install the aftermarket leather properly and after several attempts they ended up breaking the power adjust on the drivers seat. The dealership at that point agreed to trade me 1:1 for the sedan I originally wanted.

There were still no XLEs in my state at the time so they ended up driving one 400 miles from another state instead of shipping it. The XLE was slightly damaged in transit there were a small number of rock chips and a a few minor scratches. Also the dealer installed tint was applied poorly and the front bumper was loose and misaligned. I noticed these issues before I agreed to take the car and ordinarily I would have rejected it outright but I was worried that if I did I would be stuck with the hatchback with the broken drivers seat.

I brought the car back to the dealership for the first time a week after I initially picked it up to have the problems fixed and a number of accessories installed. In the end the car was at the dealership for more than 3 weeks and they were unable to install most of the accessories or fix most of the problems. a few days after picking it up I brought it back to have the improperly installed accessories removed as well as to fix another problem that I noticed after picking the car up. The front drivers seat clips which hold the upholstery on had come loose.

After picking up the car I drove it for the next couple of months or so and I noticed a bunch of additional problems. First the front drivers seat upholstery came loose again. Second the front bumper came loose again. Third I noticed that the rear window defrost lines were damaged either from the factory or when they removed the tint I don't know. I also noticed that the drivers door panel was not properly attached and that there was a scratch on the rear passenger side door panel. I decided to live with these issues until my first regular service appointment but then it started having problems starting.

I would press the start button and nothing would happen. It would try to crank but then fail. Every time it happened it successfully started with a second press but after failing to start 5 or 6 times over a two or three week period I decided to take it in early. It has now been at the dealership for almost 2 weeks with no indication when I will be getting it back.

·
♕
2020 XSE Sedan
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So many things. A combination of damage caused by the dealership and factory defects. And on top of that the XLE I currently have was actually a replacement for a hatchback I originally bought in March.

I went to the dealership with the intention of buying an XLE but since they were so new at the time there were none available in my state. I wanted the XLE because of the softex interior and the older engine with a proven track record of reliability.

Since the dealership did not have any XLEs in stock they refused to negotiate on the price since they would have to bring one in from another dealership out of state. They did however have an XSE hatchback on the lot. They negotiated on the price and even agreed to throw in an aftermarket leather interior. I was initially reluctant but they showed me a Tundra that had the aftermarket leather installed and it looked pretty good so I agreed.

Long story short the contractor was unable to install the aftermarket leather properly and after several attempts they ended up breaking the power adjust on the drivers seat. The dealership at that point agreed to trade me 1:1 for the sedan I originally wanted.

There were still no XLEs in my state at the time so they ended up driving one 400 miles from another state instead of shipping it. The XLE was slightly damaged in transit there were a small number of rock chips and a a few minor scratches. Also the dealer installed tint was applied poorly and the front bumper was loose and misaligned. I noticed these issues before I agreed to take the car and ordinarily I would have rejected it outright but I was worried that if I did I would be stuck with the hatchback with the broken drivers seat.

I brought the car back to the dealership for the first time a week after I initially picked it up to have the problems fixed and a number of accessories installed. In the end the car was at the dealership for more than 3 weeks and they were unable to install most of the accessories or fix most of the problems. a few days after picking it up I brought it back to have the improperly installed accessories removed as well as to fix another problem that I noticed after picking the car up. The front drivers seat clips which hold the upholstery on had come loose.

After picking up the car I drove it for the next couple of months or so and I noticed a bunch of additional problems. First the front drivers seat upholstery came loose again. Second the front bumper came loose again. Third I noticed that the rear window defrost lines were damaged either from the factory or when they removed the tint I don't know. I also noticed that the drivers door panel was not properly attached and that there was a scratch on the rear passenger side door panel. I decided to live with these issues until my first regular service appointment but then it started having problems starting.

I would press the start button and nothing would happen. It would try to crank but then fail. Every time it happened it successfully started with a second press but after failing to start 5 or 6 times over a two or three week period I decided to take it in early. It has now been at the dealership for almost 2 weeks with no indication when I will be getting it back.
uhhh... holy s#!+

1 - 20 of 41 Posts