Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,124 Posts
Meh- the only think that Toyota really needed to change with their C-HR was the engine, and they didn't. The 2.0L is slow and loud when pushed.

It's a shame because other than its engine it's kind of a cool car for subcompact SUV. A slightly used, lower-end Rav4 would likely be a better buy.

·
straight cash homie
18,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Meh- the only think that Toyota really needed to change with their C-HR was the engine, and they didn't. The 2.0L is slow and loud when pushed.

It's a shame because other than its engine it's kind of a cool car for subcompact SUV. A slightly used, lower-end Rav4 would likely be a better buy.
Yeah its performance is pathetic IMO. It might be fine for someone just using it as a commuter, but the engine is lethargic that it isn't taking advantage of the good chassis and handling. While the 2020 model finally got LED lights, the US/Canadian model doesn't get the turbo/6 speed in other markets, nor is there a moonroof that I want.

·
Registered
120 Posts
The 1.2L turbo engine isn't anything to get excited for either. I just don't understand the idiotic decisions Toyota is making with this platform. Dropping in the engine from the current gen Corolla should be a no brainer. At least Toyota woke up and added Android Auto. There's hope that I might see a firmware update on my 2019.

I'd be curious to see the 2020 model in person. While there have been discussions of changes and additions to the 2020 model, there hasn't been any discussion of omissions. I noticed from the various first look videos that the auto dimming rear view mirror has been eliminated.

·
straight cash homie
18,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 1.2L turbo engine isn't anything to get excited for either. I just don't understand the idiotic decisions Toyota is making with this platform. Dropping in the engine from the current gen Corolla should be a no brainer. At least Toyota woke up and added Android Auto. There's hope that I might see a firmware update on my 2019.

I'd be curious to see the 2020 model in person. While there have been discussions of changes and additions to the 2020 model, there hasn't been any discussion of omissions. I noticed from the various first look videos that the auto dimming rear view mirror has been eliminated.
I think the car was hobbled because it was suppose to be a Scion lol before they pulled the plug on the brand. I believe AWD is also offered in other markets.

Yeah, the 1.2 engine would be too underpowered for our market, BUT it seems to be the only powertrain to get the 6 speed manual. My personal issue with the vehicle is that I feel claustrophobic if I had to ride in the back. I ride in my friend's 2019 at times, so that isn't an issue, but I just feel the car could be better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think the car was hobbled because it was suppose to be a Scion lol before they pulled the plug on the brand. I believe AWD is also offered in other markets.

Yeah, the 1.2 engine would be too underpowered for our market, BUT it seems to be the only powertrain to get the 6 speed manual. My personal issue with the vehicle is that I feel claustrophobic if I had to ride in the back. I ride in my friend's 2019 at times, so that isn't an issue, but I just feel the car could be better.
Agreed. I've been saying that the C-HR is a half finished car. Had Toyota been serious about this platform, it wouldn't be what it is now. The handling is great stock. I've railed hard with this car in twisties and it doesn't disappoint. The tuning at Nurburgring really shows. The chassis has been pushed to the limit at the track by a tuner with Toyota sponsorship. The converted the chassis to rear wheel drive with a custom turbo four putting out if I remember correctly 600 to 700 HP.

The back seat isn't too bad. My impression is it is much roomier than the backseat of the Corolla HB. What gives it the cramped feeling are the side windows and the all black head liner. They made the change for 2020 to have a lighter head liner.

Yes, AWD is available in the overseas market. But frankly, I don't care about AWD. Most drivers won't need AWD for the environments they live in. The money spent on AWD is better spent on better driver training and proper winter tires. The overseas market also has a hybrid option which we don't get.

Such a shame. This car has so much promise but Toyota doesn't seem to care.

·
6,499 Posts
Two ugliest bug eyed vehicles out there.

And I don't even know, which end is uglier, front or rear. Gosen must have slept with someone at Toyota to accomplish this.
Turboed direct injection engines? Just wait when they will start failing one by one out of warranty.

·
straight cash homie
18,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The converted the chassis to rear wheel drive with a custom turbo four putting out if I remember correctly 600 to 700 HP.
LOL, the drivetrain is from the OLD Scion tC (2AZFE) turbo with a 5MT. DG Motorsports campaigned the old tCs so the motor was already sitting around, the only thing was to get it paired to the chassis and what not. I don't even think many of the parts used on the car is even TRD.

·
Registered
120 Posts
LOL, the drivetrain is from the OLD Scion tC (2AZFE) turbo with a 5MT. DG Motorsports campaigned the old tCs so the motor was already sitting around, the only thing was to get it paired to the chassis and what not. I don't even think many of the parts used on the car is even TRD.
I wasn't sure of the source of the motor. And I'm very new to the Toyota world. I look at TRD and what parts they offer and can't help but think TRD=TURD.

When I was into GM cars, at least GM Performance offered some actual performance parts although it was mostly around V8s. And when I got my 135i, BMW also offered actual performance upgrades which mated to the factory warranty along with being covered by the factory maintenance plan.

·
straight cash homie
18,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wasn't sure of the source of the motor. And I'm very new to the Toyota world. I look at TRD and what parts they offer and can't help but think TRD=TURD.

When I was into GM cars, at least GM Performance offered some actual performance parts although it was mostly around V8s. And when I got my 135i, BMW also offered actual performance upgrades which mated to the factory warranty along with being covered by the factory maintenance plan.
Can't really argue with TuRD. Nowadays, TRD's focus is making parts for trucks, because obviously their owners will spend the money and there is a business case with good ROI. The real part of TRD is actually supporting its motorsports program, which is mostly NASCAR. For car parts, TRD and the aftermarket in general isn't too vested in making much for their cars outside of the 86. There are a few decent Japanese companies making for the C-HR, but its nothing like Honda or any of the previous rides you had.

·
Premium Member
2008 Highlander Base
34,928 Posts
Two ugliest bug eyed vehicles out there.

And I don't even know, which end is uglier, front or rear. Gosen must have slept with someone at Toyota to accomplish this.
Turboed direct injection engines? Just wait when they will start failing one by one out of warranty.
LOL!

I was just about to say the same thing. Ugly on steroids.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts