Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, New here.

It is current 20 degrees and lower average this week. My corolla takeabout truly 20-30 mintues of driving at highway speeds to produce a reasonable amount of heat (compared to my past cars that take about 10) anyone else notice how slow this car takes to produce reasonable heat? I assume its due to a small displacement engine that is so efficient... Or is this an odd thingI should have dealership look at? 3k mile.

I am a DIY engine mechanic and aware of the odd things such as low coolant, blasting heat will cause engine temp to drop etc. I've ruled out everything and came to conclusions that these cars are so well made that it's nature of these corollas. Yes the thermostat gauge reaches operating tempture half way in about 10 mintues yet it's still Luke warm heat in cabin. Side note these blower mowers are underpowered and dealing with a mechanical buzzing sound at pretty much any fan speed, but that's another topic. Thank you!

·
Registered
112 Posts
While you think you’re turning the heater up, it’s possible that the controls are not actually connecting properly to your car’s heating system. Heater controls can get stuck, broken, or clogged. If you think you’re turning the heater up but it’s not getting warmer in the car, talk to your mechanic.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Uuuhhhh I have issues with mine. I also have the 2.0 and get on the highway within about a minute, and after accelerating to 60, I can watch the temperature gauge rise in real time. And within a mile or two at highway speeds, it’s blowing hot. This is here in Florida where we see sub-30 for all of a couple days, but still nothing that bad.

This car does I believe have a shutter in front of the radiator. Maybe yours is stuck open so it’s getting cooled when it’s supposed to be heating up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
That is quite slow. It's been around -20 to -25C here depending on sun. (0 - minus 10 F). Doesn't take longer than 10 mins to heat up.

Is the recirc on? ECO/Heat cool off? Auto set off?

·
Registered
2021 Corolla Apex SE 6MT
382 Posts
-20 to -25 here last week or so, car runs for a few minutes before I drive. Air is starting to warm up by then.

·
Registered
485 Posts
2.0 engine here, took mine to the ski hill a few times with temperature rangeing from -15C to +2C., no issues on highway or otherwise.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is quite slow. It's been around -20 to -25C here depending on sun. (0 - minus 10 F). Doesn't take longer than 10 mins to heat up.

Is the recirc on? ECO/Heat cool off? Auto set off?
Manual max heat, recirculation/ outside air etc all maxed out doesn't make a difference. It starts blowing warm air around 10 mintues, but it's still "cold"

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Uuuhhhh I have issues with mine. I also have the 2.0 and get on the highway within about a minute, and after accelerating to 60, I can watch the temperature gauge rise in real time. And within a mile or two at highway speeds, it’s blowing hot. This is here in Florida where we see sub-30 for all of a couple days, but still nothing that bad.

This car does I believe have a shutter in front of the radiator. Maybe yours is stuck open so it’s getting cooled when it’s supposed to be heating up.
Interesting on the shutter, I'll have to check that out. Regardless this is going back to dealer. The way I drive (20 miles at 85+ mph) it should be so hot that it's uncomfortable to keep a hand to the vent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

My tempture gauge rises rather quickly, I say within 3 miles at 60+ it's in the middle but the heat blowing out is not very warm. Starting to think it's a electronic issue. I hate the dealership as they are going to say "nothing" wrong. 🙄. Maybe I'll try simlar model as the 2021 don't seem to be much different at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While you think you’re turning the heater up, it’s possible that the controls are not actually connecting properly to your car’s heating system. Heater controls can get stuck, broken, or clogged. If you think you’re turning the heater up but it’s not getting warmer in the car, talk to your mechanic.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Considering this car only has 3k miles on it, cabin airfilter is whistle clean, I'm starting to belive it's probably a stuck hvac blend door. However I can set it to "high" heat setting and crank it to low cold and I hear blend doors actuate so I'm not sure to go before the dealer. But sounds like mine may be a lemon. On a side note, does anyone with 2020 corolla have a super annoying buzz from the hvac blower?! It's audible pretty much all settings and it's driving me nuts!

·
Registered
414 Posts
My tempture gauge rises rather quickly, I say within 3 miles at 60+ it's in the middle but the heat blowing out is not very warm. Starting to think it's a electronic issue. I hate the dealership as they are going to say "nothing" wrong. . Maybe I'll try simlar model as the 2021 don't seem to be much different at all.
I read that part of your post about the gauge after I posted. So my bet would be the heater core valve being stuck, slow to respond, or something that would otherwise prevent coolant from going to it electrical or mechanical.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I read that part of your post about the gauge after I posted. So my bet would be the heater core valve being stuck, slow to respond, or something that would otherwise prevent coolant from going to it electrical or mechanical.
I did notice when I bought the car last spring,coolant was at full, now it's down like 1/4 inch (measure ice cold engine) if that has anything to do with it, however it's still to acceptable amount between the low and full mark

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,380 Posts
There is no shutter in front.... No problems here down to -30C. I always keep fan speed at 1 until engine warms up while driving, then at 3 or 4 until cabin temp is good. Then it's usually left at 1, maybe 2. I also use a block heater.

Coolant level is normal for lower ambient temperature, as is mine... My blower fan motor is always silent.

·
Registered
2021 Corolla Apex SE 6MT
382 Posts
This car doesn't feel any worse than any other I've driven, 5 + min warmup and 20 min drive to work at -15c still don't produce heat too hot to touch vent? All cars I've owned are like this

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This car doesn't feel any worse than any other I've driven, 5 + min warmup and 20 min drive to work at -15c still don't produce heat too hot to touch vent? All cars I've owned are like this
My wife's jeep renegade 2.4 2018 jeep renegade 4 cylinder in 10 idling produces warmer heat equivalent to 15 mintues driving my corolla,.. It's not suppose to be like this. The wife had to take my car to work today and called me saying "is this thing broken?! I'm freezing!" Even she oblivious to most things noticed the Luke warm (even allowed it to idle for 15 mintues BEFORRE) SHE left 15 degrees FThe wifes call today nailed the coffin shut on this one, off to the dealer! I'll update accordingly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There is no shutter in front.... No problems here down to -30C. I always keep fan speed at 1 until engine warms up while driving, then at 3 or 4 until cabin temp is good. Then it's usually left at 1, maybe 2. I also use a block heater.

Coolant level is normal for lower ambient temperature, as is mine... My blower fan motor is always silent.
Ah I see. Even me driving like a lunatic at 90+ for 35 mintues I keeo the heat cranked max at like 3-4 and it's barely enough to keep me comfortable around 30f. Any other car I have driven would have me sweating and would need to turn down the heat. Not this one! So far I've been disappointed with numerous small things such as gas pump shuts off constantly, whining hvac fan motor, poor heat and annoying deaccerlation "clunk" I'll give toyta the benefit of the dought on this particular one as I trust and know toytas reputation!

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,380 Posts
I find the new 2.0 with its electrically activated coolant bypass valves, warms up very nicely indeed.

·
Registered
422 Posts
it should be so hot that it's uncomfortable to keep a hand to the vent.
That's definitely not going to happen. We have 3 cars here, none of them get that hot.

Have you considered using your remote-start?

We have a 2.0 SE HB, I have not ever noticed any heating issues this winter. I just leave it set to "70 AUTO" and it works skookum.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I did notice when I bought the car last spring ...
Is it an early production sedan made in US? I wondered if you happen to have one that was made while they were ironing out the teething problems? Yeah, have the dealer look at it while your warranty is still good, doesn't sound normal at all.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Are you referring to your quoted 19 HB? I
Is it an early production sedan made in US? I wondered if you happen to have one that was made while they were ironing out the teething problems? Yeah, have the dealer look at it while your warranty is still good, doesn't sound normal at all.
Nope I made sure it's a Japanese one.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts