Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'll put in my $0.02 on this.

2021 SE HB and as compared to my 2003 Matrix this heater sucks. Amount of air volume is about half that of the matrix. It heats up but to get the car even remotely warm it takes about 15 driving minutes with heater on Max.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, New here.

It is current 20 degrees and lower average this week. My corolla takeabout truly 20-30 mintues of driving at highway speeds to produce a reasonable amount of heat (compared to my past cars that take about 10) anyone else notice how slow this car takes to produce reasonable heat? I assume its due to a small displacement engine that is so efficient... Or is this an odd thingI should have dealership look at? 3k mile.

I am a DIY engine mechanic and aware of the odd things such as low coolant, blasting heat will cause engine temp to drop etc. I've ruled out everything and came to conclusions that these cars are so well made that it's nature of these corollas. Yes the thermostat gauge reaches operating tempture half way in about 10 mintues yet it's still Luke warm heat in cabin. Side note these blower mowers are underpowered and dealing with a mechanical buzzing sound at pretty much any fan speed, but that's another topic. Thank you!
If there is a Cabin Air Filter behind the glove box door, the filter could be clogged which would then reduce or stop air flow. My 2005 Tacoma gets a new cabin filter every year and I am the installer. It certainly makes a difference. If that doesn't solve it go to a dealer because there may be a warranted part or component that has failed.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If there is a Cabin Air Filter behind the glove box door, the filter could be clogged which would then reduce or stop air flow. My 2005 Tacoma gets a new cabin filter every year and I am the installer. It certainly makes a difference. If that doesn't solve it go to a dealer because there may be a warranted part or component that has failed.
That was the first thing I checked, but it's clean as a whistle (car only has 3k on it). Thank for the suggestion

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'll put in my $0.02 on this.

2021 SE HB and as compared to my 2003 Matrix this heater sucks. Amount of air volume is about half that of the matrix. It heats up but to get the car even remotely warm it takes about 15 driving minutes with heater on Max.
YES!!!! Glad I'm not the only one! The amount of air volume is THE WORST I've seen in a vehicle! 15 mintues to even get remotely warm! Idling for 20 mintues barley gets the temp gauge to go up (20-30degrees f).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
This was after 38 mintues (15 idling, 25 Mins or so 0-65 mph) it FINALLY got "warm" ( still not comfortably warm) after allcthosThe temp gauge actually falls downs if I have the heat near max, idling or driving.I'm starting to belive the thermostat is not working 100% correct or this car just sucks in cold climates, taking this in sometime end of month. AC system kicks ass in the summer !(almost as good as my 98 camry)

·
Registered
2021 Corolla Apex SE 6MT
406 Posts
This was after 38 mintues (15 idling, 25 Mins or so 0-65 mph) it FINALLY got "warm" ( still not comfortably warm) after allcthosThe temp gauge actually falls downs if I have the heat near max, idling or driving.I'm starting to belive the thermostat is not working 100% correct or this car just sucks in cold climates, taking this in sometime end of month. AC system kicks ass in the summer !(almost as good as my 98 camry)
-15*c 10 min warmup drive 20 minutes to work... normal op temp everyday 5 min after driving... heats up like all other small displacement cars I've owned.. slowly

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Idling for 20 mintues barley gets the temp gauge to go up
I have to say that my 11th gen is also relatively slower to heat than other cars I've owned. But 38 minutes / 3 mph average is also part of the explanation. Long idling doesn't help much in any car (and put a lot of useless strain on mechanical parts). Shorter 2-3 min. idling then engaging at moderate speed do much better.

·
Registered
2021 Corolla Apex SE 6MT
406 Posts
I have to say that my 11th gen is also relatively slower to heat than other cars I've owned. But 38 minutes / 3 mph average is also part of the explanation. Long idling doesn't help much in any car (and put a lot of useless strain on mechanical parts). Shorter 2-3 min. idling then engaging at moderate speed do much better.
As well as "heat near max" whatever little heat the engine is making is getting tossed away. . Lesve it on low until it heats up then switch to recirc

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I suppose this car just isn't very good on the heat! My wife's 2018 jeep renegade 2.4 4 banger gets warmer idling 10 mintues (HOT by 5 mintues driving) then the 2020 corolla 2.0 does in 20 mintues highway speeds and even then it's still loosing that comparison. Ik it's comparing two completey different things but it's day and night. Still have to bring it in for the fuelling issue as fuel pump shuts off after few seconds and keeps doing it. Have them take a peak at it. And if all else fails I will test out the same model. The 2021s aren't any different engine wise right? Besides a few more bells and whistles I couldn't Imagen after 2020s completey revamped model to have and drastically different changes mechanicaly wise. Thanks all for your help! This website is awesome!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
40 min car on not even 3mph Avg speed.. try going for a drive and don't crank the heat leave it on 2 fan speed and hit the hwy for 10 min see if that makes a diff.
Bad example ik 🙄 i recently drove 30 mintues round trip at around 15 degrees f had the heat on max and fan speed around mid way. While driving 95% of the time the speed was above 50mph. Still reasonably "cold" the temputure gauge NEVER got to mid mark and if I turned up the fan any higher(while driving 50+mph), temputure gauge will FALL. I couldn't imaging after 20 minutes highway speeds that it's not at operating temperature and it's should be by then producing MORE heat than the engine can produce!

·
Registered
2021 Corolla Apex SE 6MT
406 Posts
Bad example ik i recently drove 30 mintues round trip at around 15 degrees f had the heat on max and fan speed around mid way. While driving 95% of the time the speed was above 50mph. Still reasonably "cold" the temputure gauge NEVER got to mid mark and if I turned up the fan any higher(while driving 50+mph), temputure gauge will FALL. I couldn't imaging after 20 minutes highway speeds that it's not at operating temperature and it's should be by then producing MORE heat than the engine can produce!
Ya wife's rav4 makes this look bad for heating up.. ill try mine and post in a few..

·
Registered
2021 Corolla Apex SE 6MT
406 Posts
-14*c or for the Americans 7*f

18 min

10 warmup

8 driving

And -7 is without windchill its -14

Avg. Speed 34 km/h or 21 mph

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
And -7 is without windchill its -14
As Invader said, wind chill (like humidex, in summer) only apply to warm-blooded creatures, not inanimate objects. It’s a more or less successful attempt to elaborate a perception scale. For convenience it’s designed to mimic temperature as it is expressed in numbers but, as many don't notice, not “ ° ” , as it’s rather a number on a scale.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts