Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's the base model le 4 cylinder non hybrid.
Bought the car new about 9 months ago and just turned 5k miles and did the first oil change.
Since my last car was a chevy cruze, I have a habit of checking for leaks when I'm under the car.
I was surprised to see this beauty. It's in the general area of the timing chain cover. So bottom passenger side of the car but deep in there.
At first I thought it was just residual whatever, but no, I wipe it comes right back. I mean I'm watching this
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive exterior
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting
for 2 weeks somethings goin on for sure.
It might be coming out of the nearest bolt hole, but I can't confirm.
But I can confirm when I went to the dealer yesterday just to look at used gen 8 camry's on the lot, 1 out of 6 they had was leaking same exact spot.
Not a whole lot online about this problem. Just some stuff about 2019's not cooled properly from factory.
Anyone heard anything?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Take it to the dealer and let them look. I personally could live with that leak.

Use the oil recommended by Toyota. Don't go for increased viscosity.

I own a 15 year old 4runner from new and it has never been to the mechanic except for brakes 1 time. 210,000 miles.
replaced a starter or two - then Amazon offered a starter with a lifetime warranty.

After installing it I called and asked what they meant by "lifetime". I was told if it ever fails, call the number (on the box) and they will send me a new one.

Don't know why my starters were failing after 4 years.

The last replacement has been in there about 5 years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm going to take it in. I haven't had good luck with dealer repairs in the past actually created more problems.
So just working on due diligence.
But if it's leaking where I think it is, the engine has to be pulled taken apart and pookied all pack together.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah, I'm going to take it in. I haven't had good luck with dealer repairs in the past actually created more problems.
So just working on due diligence.
But if it's leaking where I think it is, the engine has to be pulled taken apart and pookied all pack together.
Pictures and video go along way to get the initial process started (Toyota has been clamping down on warranty repairs regarding oil leaks vs oil seepage). If you can try a different dealer that would be something as well.

If its a constant leak, you should have no probs gettting them to warranty it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah that's interesting, but that one is oil pan leaks, this one is much higher up and on the side. I know it's hard to tell where I'm at and it takes a full reach around from the top to even
Hood Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive exterior Automotive design
snap a picture. I'm still trying to find an exploded diagram but the block to timing chain cover perhaps anyone know what the red marking area is called?

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
3,934 Posts
How on earh do you find all these info :=)

Input your vehicle and click on manufacturer communication or recalls. everything is public, at least in the USA. you’ll find a lot of TSB’s and etc on there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dropped the car off at the dealer to get a diagnosis.
I'm pushing for Toyota to take the car back and give me a new car.
Someone, somewhere can make it happen I just need to get in touch with them.

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,946 Posts
Make sure you have all the papers in order, and talk to a lemon law attorney (remember they get paid by the mfg if your claim is legit).
Lemon laws vary by state, but the general guideline is the vehicle has to be in for the same repair unresolved three times, or the vehicle must be out of service in excess of 30 days.
Neither are likely to apply in the case of a known issue addressed by a TSB.
You can't get a vehicle bought back under the lemon laws in most states simply because you aren't comfortable due to a premature failure that is repaired.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts