Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have similar problem. When car is at normal temperature it mostly happens when coasting at 25 - 30 MPH and slowly speeding up starts to surge or hesitate. Sometimes does it while moderately taking off from stops. Is this normal swear never noticed this before? Its been gradually getting more pronounced.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are just barely touching the pedal, I'd say it is just a quirk of drive-by-wire.
I hope so though not sure if related I've noticed my average MPG has dropped from 33.4 to 31.7 normally is around 33.0 MPG. My driving style and daily routes haven't changed.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
637 Posts
Cvt?

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,629 Posts
Yes but like I said it hasn't done this before now have 7k miles. I live 5 minutes from dealer so dropped it off. They told me might be a update or service bulletin.
Which grade and brand of gasoline are you using now?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Which grade and brand of gasoline are you using now?
Always used Costco 87 with no issues. Its really noticeable now at 1/4 tank seems to go away when full. Dealer has car wants me to come in tomorrow and show the tech what its doing.

·
Registered
'21 Corolla Apex SE - 6mt
637 Posts
I only use smokin Joe's pure reserve gas 81 octane

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 21 SE HB CVT and it has now 14K miles on it. Its done this from day one. Its barely noticeable but there. All it gets and will ever get is cheap gas from me. Gets over 40mpg religiously.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There's your problem... Let it run low, and refill with premium 91 after low fuel lamp comes on.
All I can say is WOW !!! Its like a totally different car now with Costco 92 way smoother. I can feather the gas pedal and get enough speed to reach my preference. Before when accelerating would lack oomph and require more accelerator push but then engine would over accelerate require backing off then feather the pedal to reach desired speed. That's when I would start feeling the surging extremely irritating being a new car! Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Corolla Sedan SE (6-MT)
265 Posts
I've always used Shell Silver 89 (mid-grade gas) since purchasing my 2020 Corolla with the newer 2.0L engine & have no complaints related to it.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,629 Posts
All I can say is WOW !!! Its like a totally different car now with Costco 92 way smoother. I can feather the gas pedal and get enough speed to reach my preference. Before when accelerating would lack oomph and require more accelerator push but then engine would over accelerate require backing off then feather the pedal to reach desired speed. That's when I would start feeling the surging extremely irritating being a new car! Thanks for the advice!
Finally! You were supposed to do that over 2 months ago...

You need to start by running your fuel tank as low as possible, well below 1/4 to let out the old and deteriorated ethanol gasoline as it's detrimental to your entire fuel system... Then refill with high grade Chevron, to start refreshing your fuel load.
Ok will try that. Run it down to 1/4 and refill with better fuel. Its just weird never had issues with the '07 corolla always did the same fill scheme and with Costco fuel. Just got back from a 20 minute drive to the store no problems car ran fine.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,629 Posts
I know HAHA it got better is why I didn't stick with it. I think Costco's grades vary from time to time just got bad gas once again.
You'll also get more miles per tank.

Wait until your low fuel lamp comes on at least... When mine comes on, I still have about 70 miles indicated range and can run it down to about 20 miles left. Some have gone even further.
There is about 2 US gallons left when low fuel lamp lights up... Just try to run it at least until it comes on to do a more thorough initial fuel exchange, refilling with Chevron premium 91.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I thought Costco is supposed to be Top Tier? Surprised that would cause an issue. I don't have a Costco so I've never used it. Chevron is literally across the St. from my work and one 2 blocks from my house. So I've always used Chevron in my cars. I bought my car last Friday and the dealer put gas in, No idea from where. So today I'll be putting Chevron in.

·
19 Corolla HB SE 6-spd
6,629 Posts
I thought Costco is supposed to be Top Tier? Surprised that would cause an issue. I don't have a Costco so I've never used it. Chevron is literally across the St. from my work and one 2 blocks from my house. So I've always used Chevron in my cars. I bought my car last Friday and the dealer put gas in, No idea from where. So today I'll be putting Chevron in.
You mean you'll put in Chevron 91? What was mostly lacking is your octane level. Ethanol-free would be even better.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada (pure-gas.org)

·
Registered
288 Posts
No 87. Owners manual says 87. Why would I use 91? And owners Manual for 21' Hatch also says 87. Unless he modified the car with forced induction or tuned for 91 octane?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My '21 XSE Hatch has not been modified in anyway. I'm in my 50s and don't see the need to do so.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My '21 XSE Hatch has not been modified in anyway. I'm in my 50s and don't see the need to do so.
Weird that putting 92 would seemingly fix it. Did the dealer give you any answer? Or did they check it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts